Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 318 total)
  • Author

elitemachinery
    Participant

@ignant666 @tiger

Fusion is what you get when jazz players take acid i guess. Miles started it didn’t he? Definitely a guitar player thing. I didn’t like all of it but I did like Mahavishnu first album and had all of their albums and some other artists.

@tiger that’s cool you went to Berkeley I always heard good things about that school. I attended Dick Grove School of Music in LA in the Composing & Arranging Program (CAP) back in 1985-86. I was in over my head but I learned a lot over two semesters. We had deadlines and had to compose for live bands in recording sessions it was a great experience.

@ignant666 I could never get into Zappa’s music but I admit I never gave it much of a chance. He always seemed more talented as a visual or conceptual artist to me.

I didn’t like everything John McLaughlin did but the dude could play any style.

Here he is with Paco DeLucia and Al DiMeola:

Tiger
    Participant

@elitemachinery
    Berklee was great i hung in there for three years .
    1 year of music school is a good foundation .

Jazz/Fusion players can’t play even a 2 chord reggae, metal players can’t play Blues, though both try .

ignant666
    Participant

NYC/DC hardcore idols Bad Brains were originally a fusion band before they heard the Ramones, so some can switch styles with success. Their reggae songs were excruciatingly bad, lending some credence to what Tiger says about fusion players.

I’m so old, i remember when the term “heavy metal” meant “white guys playing slow, heavy, very loud, blues”:

My hippy uncle, a born-again Christian of a very pleasant sort, gave me his old copy of Vincebus Eruptum for xmas when i was like 15. Another one he gave me was The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown.

I became a teenage Thelemite around the same time in the early 70s that he and his wife were born again; we had many interesting debates, and are still very close. They were married on rollerskates on the Golden Gate Bridge in SF in the late 60s while tripping. The ceremony was difficult to arrange, as finding a clergyman who could rollerskate backwards was not easy.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  ignant666. Reason: add
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  ignant666.

dom
    Participant

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  dom.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  dom.

elitemachinery
    Participant

@ignant666 said:

The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown

My hippy uncle, a born-again Christian…I became a teenage Thelemite around the same time in the early 70s that he and his wife were born again

dom
    Participant

Losing!!

dom
    Participant

Although I’m not really into this genre this is a profound record about how human beings go from childhood to teenage years but never really get beyond that level throughout their “adult” lives;

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

@dom :

Losing!!
    Have I missed something & excuse my thickness, but losing what??

not really into this genre
    Have I missed something & excuse my thickness again, but I’m not sure which genre this would be either

Full of misses & excuses,
    N joy

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Jamie J Barter. Reason: repetetition

dom
    Participant

@jamiejbarter

Losing!!

As in, that character that Emilio Estevez played in Repo Man has a bad attitude and is, as the Americans say, “a loser”. He is he brother of…..

Tiger
    Participant

Tiger
    Participant

Genius !
    drums base guitar and melody basics
    Phenominal !

Tiger
    Participant

just so i don’t double post all over the place
    some basic info for those that think he was simple
    Watch a Master at work

and sorry for the wee nyaff
    hoggin up the space .

ignant666
    Participant

More East Coast ’80s hardcore punk: A song about hating hippies, “Deadhead”, by DC’s Teen Idles, with (high-school age) future Minor Threat/Fugazi members.

Of course, in the ensuing decades, the fine line between being “punk as fuck”, and being a “dirty hippie”, has become obscured, like the similar line between clever and stupid. I blame drugs.

ignant666
    Participant

A song on a related topic: Schooly D’s immortal “I Don’t Like Rock’n’Roll”, from the PSK- What Does It Mean? cassette/vinyl release ( i still have the 12″ vinyl). The homophobia of some rhetoric (“Y’all long-haired faggots can kiss my ass”) hopefully can been seen in context, and certainly doesn’t represent my views.

For anyone still wondering “What on earth does ‘PSK’ mean?”: “Park Side Killers”, Schooly’s Philadelphia angel-dust-, and weed-dealing, crew.

This anti-longhaired rock song was of course a massive hit with all rock’n’roll fans i knew.

Oh sweet memories of youth!

WildWitch
    Participant

Thank you very, very much for all your responses. Your responses have been enlightening and entertaining as well. Here are some more of my faves:

Tool
    The Nazz
    Jimi Hendrix
    Quicksilver Messenger Service
    The Grateful Dead
    Fireball Ministry
    Slipknot
    Megadeth
    Metallica

I hope you like these as much as I do. Enjoy! 93’s, ~WildWitch~

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 318 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.