Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 317 total)
  • Author

ignant666
    Participant

I never see anyone from “back in the day” except when people die. I haven’t seen Norman, Algis, and other Swans since the memorial for our old friend John Berry, founding member of the Beastie Boys, who died in 2016. The time before that was another funeral. Gira i haven’t spoken to for maybe 15-20 years.

I went to law school from ’90-’93, and then went into grad school in criminology in 1995.

Here, in lieu of a song, is a funny Swans tour story from the early ’90s: They were doing a southern US tour, playing a lot of redneck bars, the kind where there is a chicken-wire screen around the stage to stop the audience throwing things at the band. At every stop, as they loaded in, the promoter would ask which one was Norman, usually with a disgusted/freaked-out look on his face. The Swans of course have a certain reputation (largely based on Gira’s lyrics) for being some kind of bizarre sexually deviant weirdos.

At every stop, the promoter would give Norman the fax that had just arrived for him, in every case a chapter from The Leatherman’s Handbook, a practitioner’s manual for gay S & M. He saved them, and showed them to me at a Dr. No-Smell rehearsal after he got back from tour. The one i remember to this day is “Ballooning Ballsacks”, which discussed, and copiously illustrated, injection of saline solution to inflate the scrotum to the size of a football.

The “perp” was someone intimately familiar with not merely the tour schedule but their daily driving schedule, since the faxes would always arrive right around the time when they were pulling up at the club in the van. They never figured out who it was.

dom
    Participant

Expanding scrotums, that’s a funny story!

Falcon
    Participant

@horemakhet I like some of Emperor’s material too (and Black Metal generally), although I am a Thelemite and Gnostic not Satanist.

Moonchild by Fields of the Nephilim – they are influenced by To Mega Therion like many other Gothic, Post-Punk, Rock, Neo-Folk, Metal bands.

• This reply was modified 4 days, 22 hours ago by  Falcon.

Falcon
    Participant

KILLING JOKE INTERVIEW – JAZ COLEMAN’S HEROES

“I had to mention Wagner because he is an artist who expanded the concept of music into reality. Wagner had a vision of how life should be – his heart was set in the Nordic mythology. He believed in trying to portray man at his best. For me he was more of a magician than just a plain composer. He had a dream, he set it to music and it almost came alive.

It is a fact that Hitler was inspired by Wagner’s vision of the Pan German world. Regardless of his racial ideology, which I am totally against, what I do admire about him is the purity of his concept and the fact that it almost came alive. I hate his operas, I can’t abide fat women warbling away, but I love his music. Every time I fly to Berlin I have to have the music to “Siegfried’s Funeral March” on my Walkman. I need that sound to ready myself.”

http://www.jokerplace.net/articles/1983-1986/mm111086.html

Falcon
    Participant

Falcon
    Participant

Falcon
    Participant

Pigface and The Damage Manual (Killing Joke side project spin offs):

Falcon
    Participant

Another KJ side project:

Falcon
    Participant

The influence of Frater Perdurabo on the Gothic post-punk band Blood and Roses is evident:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzVIMLf0CfM

christibrany
    Participant

I like Fields of the Nephilim but I haven’t heard enough. My wife introduced me to them, and we want to buy a box set.

I love Wagner. I started out only listening to the instrumentals, preludes etc. But now that I have been listening for a few years I can actually get into the opera too.

This one is always beautiful:

Mild und leise
    wie er lächelt,
    wie das Auge
    hold er öffnet
    —seht ihr’s, Freunde?
    Seht ihr’s nicht?
    Immer lichter
    wie er leuchtet,
    stern-umstrahlet
    hoch sich hebt?
    Seht ihr’s nicht?

ertrinken,
    versinken, –
    unbewusst, –
    höchste Lust!

Softly and gently
    how he smiles,
    how his eyes
    fondly open
    —do you see, friends?
    do you not see?
    how he shines
    ever brighter.
    Star-haloed
    rising higher
    Do you not see?

[…and ends…]

to drown,
    to founder –
    unconscious –
    utmost bliss!

christibrany
    Participant

On the other end of my spectrum…
    One day I will be able to play this on double kick 😀

Falcon
    Participant

@christibrany If you are interested the Fields of the Nephilim are playing live shows in the UK in October and November.

Falcon
    Participant

Falcon
    Participant

Am seeing The Stranglers next year on their UK Tour.

Falcon
    Participant

Peyr (Theyr) are an Icelandic band who have an interest in the occult.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 317 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.