Viewing 15 posts - 511 through 525 (of 563 total)
  • Author

ignant666
    Participant

when i was a kid we used to go around amending Dead-head graffiti from

GRATEFUL
    DEAD

to

i will be GRATEFUL when
    they are DEAD

I think i have told the story of my extremely gorgeous angelic blonde hippie tutoring student, who i had not realized was desperately in love with me, telling me that Jerry had died, and me replying, utterly deadpan, “How could they tell?” (recycling an old Calvin Coolidge joke), to her utter disgust. She was misled by the fact that i had very long hair at the time into thinking i was a hippie sympathizer. A very beautiful and very smart girl, but one must have one’s principles.

The above a much amended live version that leaves out the best line “You’re in a cheap rundown teenage jail…”

Ah, memories…

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  ignant666.

dom
    Participant

Well that’s the thing about young punks. No sensibility. You grew out of that bullshit I take it?

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  dom.

ignant666
    Participant

Naah, just got much better at getting away with it…

ignant666
    Participant

A dispatch from the America where i grew up, the one certain folks are trying to get rid of:

My Uncle Bill (mom’s brother, just like the song) did get clean too, just like the song. but the tall lanky one was his brother the Jumping-Jesus.

Possibly Uncle Bill’s greatest line ever (on phone to his super-liberal sis, my mom): “Naw, i’m telling everyone they got to vote for this nigger!” [Barack Obama, the first time].

dom
    Participant

Haha.

..but Cash and Garcia had a lot in common.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  dom.

ignant666
    Participant

i actually, in the spirit of tolerance and hey-we-all-can-learn, watched and listed to a couple minutes of that wretched hippie shit. God it suuuuucks.

Even though i know “New Speedway Boogie” is guar-an-fucking-teed to piss me the fuck off, by, like, really, when that fat beardo junkie California hippie shit-bag starts singing. Right up there with that stupid-ass song about “St. Stephen with a rose, in and out of the garden he goes.”

Just as bad as i thought it was when i was 15, if not worse. I have re-thought a few of my teenage musical judgements but not that one.

Here is some quality American music by musicians with real integrity, and who wash rather than being dirty hippies:

ignant666
    Participant

Merle Haggard explains how “we don’t smoke no mar’juana in Muskogee, and we don’t take trips on LSD”, or “make a party out of lovin'”:

Noted drug-warrior Willie Nelson joins Merle, although it is possible there is sarcasm here in this later version:

In case anyone wants to say i just dig that hipster-ass country: George “No-Show” Jones:

ignant666
    Participant

dom
    Participant

You’re taking the piss now. So many react about The Dead in a mindless lynch mob mentality. Usually unenlightened assholes.

ignant666
    Participant

Any of those George Jones songs, or Dolly Parton’s “Jolene”, blow anything ever recorded by the Dead clear out of the water.

Hippie drug addicts playing fake country music do not do as good a job as redneck drug addicts playing the real thing.

Here, a nice clean-cut young Buck Owens and his Buckaroos show us some guitar playing that puts Jerry to shame. There was some good guitar playing coming out of California in 1969, but out of Bakersfield not SF.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakersfield_sound

dom
    Participant

Any of those George Jones songs, or Dolly Parton’s “Jolene”, blow anything ever recorded by the Dead clear out of the water.

You probably never checked out any Dead albums particularly from before 1970. Most idiots who diss The Dead never actually checked out the initial classic psychedelic period albums. There’s a parallel with the flak that The Bee Gees (another legendary band) received; just automatic nonsense. Yeah Jolene is brilliant.

Let’s clear the air here;

ignant666
    Participant

Dude, i was 13 when Europe 72 came out. I grew up in America, in the 1970s, and smoked weed and did acid (like any normal American ’70s teenager), and you think i have not heard early Dead?

The Dead were certainly the most popular band, by far, among my white peers growing up, with The Allman Brothers #2. Believe me i had to listen to that shit for hours a day for many years. I know the words to every song, and annoyed my peers by singing them in a sarcastic hippie voice.

The Dead’s guitar sound owes really a lot to the Bakersfield boys, especially Buck Owens, but this is true of all countryish rock, from the Eagles to Creedence.

Boston hardcore kids referred to all hippies as “fuckin’ Jerries” which i always thought was hysterical.

Also can’t stand Jane’s Addiction. It’s not that i hate everything from California (Buck Owens, Merle Haggard above, for example).

dom
    Participant

Dude, i was 13 when Europe 72 came out. I grew up in America, in the 1970s, and smoked weed and did acid (like any normal American ’70s teenager), and you think i have not heard early Dead?

Albums;

Live/Dead

Anthem of the Sun

ignant666
    Participant

More than familiar, those are certainly their least terrible records, and “Dark Star” is almost good.

Here is some noodly hippie shit i actually like, though it can’t hold a candle to George Jones.

christibrany
    Participant

If you want real freaks go to Whole Foods…

Y’all fightin’ ageeen?

Well I am stayin at a hotel by the Haight in San Fran and it’s gorgeous.

We will take Victorian splendour and free tea time in afternoon w free wine and cheese before dinner over hippy stuff.

But here is a medley I like https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7I0vkKy504U

The grateful dead suck.
    Only good song is Truckin.

Its a lot of frenchy and english tourists and Arabs around here these days which puts my wife at ease Lol. No junkies or scary homeless.
    So far *thelemic cross* I have been constantly vigilant and prepared w scenarios as we walk BC of some guys on bikes but still …great seafood! 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 511 through 525 (of 563 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.