Viewing 15 posts - 556 through 570 (of 579 total)
  • Author

Tiger
    Participant

“These days I am a magician and musician and dreamer, mystic and idiot, effectively locked away from the world by the curse of failed flesh, but in the Voice and the sound and the music, I am free. “
    https://hermetic.com/anthology/profile/robert-furtkamp/index

thanks ig

dom
    Participant

@ignant

“Oh vey baby you messed with the wrong vampire”. Don’t know if it was this thread but funny. Anyway…

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  dom.
    • This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  dom.

dom
    Participant

No one here has probably heard of this band who should’ve been massively famous.

Tiger
    Participant

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

@dom :

No one here has probably heard of this band who should’ve been massively famous.

Tsk tsk, there you go again dom, with your presumptive generalisation containing that little extra hint of elitism… Not only have I heard of The house of Love, I rate them in of the top 20 gigs I’ve ever seen when I happened to catch them in the late 80s. Must have been my state of mind at the time, but they seemed wondrous to me when I caught them live. So tight! Anyway…

I agree they should probably have been a lot more successful than they were, but maybe that might have changed what made them so good. Having said that, they weren’t even quite as brilliant as three other pre-Britpop sensations whom I also aw that may be equally as obscure — Intastella, Curve and Word of Twist. Did anyone catch any of those?

Also, I wouldn’t have picked “Salome” myself given the choice, but selected this bittersweet celebration of transcendent transience:

She-she-she-Shine on,
    N Joy

dom
    Participant

@jbarter

You saw the House of Love. Well done. The entire album is brilliant. The other albums have some great tracks on also. I’m also a fan of

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

Yes, HoL were something to behold — you missed them then, dom? Truly sorry about that, without wishing to rub it in you’d have missed a treat.

Cocteaus — the first time I ever heard them was when John Peel was playing a track from their debut LP which had just come out (“Garlands”) on his radio prog. I’d just missed the start, and he didn’t say who it was afterwards so for the one and only time in my life I wrote in to a radio/tv statin enquiring details of what piece of music was just played, and him being the all-round splendid mensch he was, took the trouble to reply back with the answer on a postcard, stamped and addressed in his own handwriting throughout (talk about being a man of the people!) That considerate little gesture touched me & made me a fan and admirer of his for life. Still I digress. FYI the track in question was:

Unfortunately I only ever saw them once live at the Brfxton Academy on their Heaven or Las Vegas tour. A smaller venue would have suited them better as they didn’t really visually project. But soundwise, impressive!

N Joy

dom
    Participant

Brilliant Peel story there Jamie.

I saw them in the late 80s. I could see that the audience was becoming less alternative. I actually can’t remember much about the concert. I’m sure they played work from the earlier albums. They took their name from an early song by Simple Minds.

You probably know Felt’s “Primitive painters” where Fraser does a guest appearance? Anyway here’s another great track from Felt.

Anonymous

Ma’am I am I am its all about mama Amor Davino

Evermore

dom
    Participant

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by  dom.

Tiger
    Participant

” Got to be careful
    Things you say or do

Too much rat never dig good hole
    Some haffi come, some haffi go
    If your heart is willing and your flesh is weak
    Now is the time, Jah Jah you’ve got to see

If you want to get to heaven
    You got to build ahead on earth
    If and when you really want to get to heaven
    You got to build ahead on the earth

A lot a dem a try to reach to the top
    But we all got to start from the bottom
    I can’t stand this rat race
    Even a fool would be frustrated

And if you want a better living condition
    For each and everyone
    We got to kill crime, sin, shame and disgrace
    Execute hunger and poverty, triumphantly

Who yoi yo yo ”

Tiger
    Participant

Serpent 252
    Participant

Fav NYC cat Kip Hanrahan, who “was born [1954] in a Puerto Rican neighborhood in the Bronx to an Irish-Jewish family” (wow)(Wikipedia) which IMO represents the best of NYC’s diversity. He has played with some of the best latino percussionist (Milton Cardona), European non-bozo “cream” (Jack Bruce), one of the best (free) jazz pianist (Don Pullen), NYC downtown “avant” jazz scene (Arto Lindsay), etc.

G-d is Great (with Jack Bruce) (song from his 7th album Exotica, recorded 1992)

Your kiss so sweet… fuck it, Saint John Coltrane said “If the music doesn’t speak for itself, then nobody’s words are going to be able to help it speak.”

Serpent 252
    Participant

Carry Fire

6. Deeper, ever deeper. I fall, even as the whole Universe falls down the abyss of Years.
    7. For Eternity calls; the Overworld calls; the world of the Word is awaiting us.
    8. Be done with speech, O God! Fasten the fangs of the hound Eternity in this my throat!
    9. I am like a wounded bird flapping in circles.
    10. Who knows where I shall fall?
    11. O blessed One! O God! O my devourer!
    12. Let me fall, fall down, fall away, afar, alone!
    13. Let me fall!
    14. Nor is there any rest, Sweet Heart, save in the cradle of royal Bacchus, the thigh of the most Holy One.
    15. There rest, under the canopy of night.

(Liber VII)

Tiger
    Participant

Viewing 15 posts - 556 through 570 (of 579 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.