Home Forums Typhonian Kenneth Grant Outer Gateways, by Kenneth Grant

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Michael Staley
    Participant

The republication of the Typhonian Trilogies continues with Outer Gateways, the seventh book in the series, and the opening volume of the third and final trilogy. The book will be going to the printers later this month for publication in July, and ordering of the standard and deluxe editions ahead of publication is now open.

Further details of the book, its contents, and how to order, can be found on the Starfire Publishing website, and a link to the relevant pages is here:

http://www.starfirepublishing.co.uk/outer_gateways.htm

With chapters on ‘The Double Voice Behind Liber AL’, ‘The Madhyamaka & Crowley’, ‘Creative Gematria’, ‘The Fourth Power of the Sphinx’ and, of course, ‘Wisdom of S’lba’ and the subsequent chapters of commentary and analysis, Outer Gateways has long been my personal favourite of the trilogies since its preparation for publication in 1994, and thus I am particularly delighted to be able to republish it.

Michael Staley,
    http://www.starfirepublishing.co.uk/
    admin@starfirepublishing.co.uk

Michael Staley
    Participant

This book took a lot longer to prepare for the printers than originally envisaged. However, I’m pleased to say that the standard edition was delivered from the printers earlier today. Pre-publication orders will be despatched next week.

Sonofthoth
    Participant

I’m reading this Grant book at the moment and it’s intriguing.

Kenneth Grants books (as I’m less acquainted with him in general compared to earlier hermetic occultists) tend to go between being quite insightful and enlightening/logical and then seemingly speculative fiction.

The thing about that, is somehow I don’t mind that. I’m not invested in his ideas/concepts (unlike Crowley for example, who’s ideas I am able to practically use in daily life), but then Grant’s books tend to be more on the analytical/essay-like side of things. An occult ‘case-study’ (which I like)

To use the word colloquially, reading his books is quite ‘entertaining’.

Some stuff is obviously over my head and the Lovecraft stuff sort of irked me at first but I’ve come to see it as being a less-literal, more ‘grain of salt’ kind of thing (as there is an occultish flavor in his novels). This isn’t my first Grant book however.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  Sonofthoth.

Michael Staley
    Participant

@sonofthoth

Outer Gateways is probably my favourite volume of the Typhonian Trilogies. The chapter entitled ‘The Madhyamaka & Crowley’ has absorbing considerations of Advaita Vedanta, which had interested Grant for many years and into which he had an intense epiphany in the summer of 1952. In the marginalia of the book which triggered this insight, Grant drew particuar attention to a quote from the Katha Upanishad which heads chapter 5 of the book, and which depicts the Atman not as something passive, waiting to be uncovered, but as something dynamic:

This Atman is not to be attained by recitation of the Vedas, nor by keen intellect, nor by often hearing Scripture. He whom It chooses attains It. To him the Atman reveals Its form.

When first reading this quote, it reminded me of a remark by Crowley in Liber Samekh to the effect that it is not the aspirant that approaches the Holy Guardian Angel, but the Angel which approaches the aspirant.

I know what you mean about “the Lovecraft sort of stuff” irking you; it did me when I first started reading Grant’s work. However, the root of the matter was set out in a chapter of The Magical Revival, where Grant drew parallels between elements of Crowley’s work and elements of the Cthulhu Mythos, and suggested that they drew on a common source.

It’s well known that Lovecraft was a rationalist and had no interest in the occult, as may be seen by reading his Selected Letters spread over five volumes. However, he did have intense dreams, some of which inspired his stories. There is an interesting passage from one of his letters, to Clark Ashton Smith, dated October 17th 1930:

.…The true function of phantasy is to give the imagination a ground for limitless expansion, & to satisfy aesthetically the sincere & burning curiosity and sense of awe which a sensitive minority of mankind feel towards the alluring & provocative abysses of unplumbed space and unguessed entity which press in upon the known world from unknown infinities & in unknown relationships of time, space, matter, force, dimensionality, & consciousness.

Grant was interested in Lovecraft and the Cthulhu Mythos not as some earlier form of worship to be revived, but for how it might be used. There is a fascinating passage in Outer Gateways which suggests that the Cthulhu Mythos might have a more substantial use, a means to an end, the end being the undivided awareness of Advaita:

This brings us to a consideration of the Cthulhu Mythos, which reflects vastly ancient pre-human lore. Like other accounts of unclassifiable phases of earth’s history, the Cthulhu Cult epitomises the subconsciousness and the forces outside terrestrial awareness. It may be said in passing that true creativity can occur only when these forces are invoked to flood with their light the magical network of the mind.

For purposes of explanation the mind may be envisaged as divided into three rooms, the edifice which contains them being the only real or permanent principle. These rooms are:

1) Subconsciousness, the dream state;
    2) Mundane consciousness, the waking state;
    3) Transcendental consciousness, veiled in the non-initiate by the state of sleep.<p>

The compartments are further conceived as being connected with the house that contains them, by a series of conduits or tunnels. The house represents trans-terrestrial consciousness. The invoked forces – Cthulhu, Yog-Sothoth, Azathoth, etc. – are then understood, not as malignant or destructive entities but as the dynamic energies of consciousness the functions of which are to blast away the delusion of separate existence (the rooms of our illustration).

There are many more areas of great interest in Outer Gateways, and of course the very beautiful Wisdom of S’lba. All in all, this volume of the Trilogies is an extraordinarily rich work.

christibrany
    Participant

yes Outer Gateways is one of my top 3 for sure. I can’t really choose between Nightside of Eden, Outer Gateways, or Beyond the Mauve Zone as far as being my favourites for being the most unique, in my opinion, of the trilogies.

Mick, did Grant believe an ET invasion would occur physically, or metaphsyically?

Michael Staley
    Participant

@christibrany

Mick, did Grant believe an ET invasion would occur physically, or metaphsyically?

In my opinion, metaphysical. That is, an eruption from the depths of the subconscious rather than an invasion from another planet.

christibrany
    Participant

I’m sure you’re right, but why then the need for the Sign of Protection in ninth arch, I think it was? Are ‘they’ ‘evil’?

93rdthebes
    Participant

One of my personal favorite books!

Shiva
    Participant

Chris: but why then the need for the Sign of Protection in ninth arch, I think it was? Are ‘they’ ‘evil’?

We climb and scrape our way up the Tree. We abandon duality in the Abyss. Then everything’s just dandy after that.

But it isn’t. There is what is called “cosmic evil,” some form of duality that lies up in the Ain realms. Any signs of protection are harmless against positive forces. But, yes, there are evil/dual forces everywhere that perception goes. Only when there is no perception at all is the need for protection disregarded.

See the VERY short clip (one minute 11 seconds): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JOrpnbcHmE

christibrany
    Participant

Hello

I am almost done reading Outer Gateways for i believe the third time. Does anyone care to elucidate what they think Grant meant by energy spectres?

Are these entities created by the nuclear bomb blasts?

Are they ‘alien’ entities of noncorporeal sort which showed up in response to the nuclear radiation?

Also, I find it interesting in this book that Grant seems to view LAM as a physical extraterrestrial yet in other chapters he views him as merely a ‘type’ or ‘symbol’ of the bud-will, voice of the silence, and HPK etc. Sometimes different chapters seem to contradict each other.
    A very fascinating book!

I also am enjoying the comparison of nundual, Advaitist concepts with Thelema.

best,
    Chris

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.