Home Forums Administration LAShTAL.COM Announcements Planned Upgrade: September 2017

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

lashtal
    Keymaster

Regular visitors to LAShTAL.COM will be aware that the huge increase in visitor hits has resulted in poor performance of the site, including some complete failures of the software. This should be fixed tomorrow (Sunday 3 September) but will require an extensive outage during the day while the back-end is updated.

Apologies for any inconvenience and thanks to @eol for all his hard work!

Michael Staley
    Participant

I hope all goes well, Paul, and delivers the expected fruits.

lashtal
    Keymaster

Test.

eol
    Keymaster

I think that everything should be working fine. I have yet to bring back Thelemic Time Server and fix a few minor things but services related to lashtal.com should be up and running.

If you notice anything odd please do report.

Michael Staley
    Participant

The site loads more quickly, so many thanks.

Forums. I notice that when I click on the latest post in a thread, whereas formerly I was taken directly to the post, now I don’t. e.g. clicking on arthuremerson’s post, I get taken to page 18 of the thread, whereas the post is on page 19.

Still getting the capital letters of our name as user icon in threads, rather than the particular user icon that some of had, and which used to be displayed in forum threads until a couple of weeks or so ago. Are those days definitely gone?

Michael Staley
    Participant

Further to my post above, I note that when clicking on other posts I am taken to the correct point in the thread. It is only the recent post from arthuremerson which has that effect. Perhaps it’s to do with Arthur’s post being the first post on p.19 of the thread.

the_real_simon_iff
    Participant

Definitely much faster!

Great work, eol!

Thanks

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

Yes, a V. good improvement — thanks for all the effort in the work here

93s, jamie

christibrany
    Participant

Thank you all for your hard work on the site, Eol, Paul et al. I do think I notice a faster load time too.
    93s

Tiger
    Participant

Thanks Paul and eol for the site and on keeping up with the increase .

William Thirteen
    Participant

93 eol,

were you able to get the Time Server back up and running? If you are still working on it, might it be possible to also provide a reverse query function, in which by inputting a thelemic date, the Gregorian date might be displayed?

thanks for all your efforts.

93 93/93
    William

Shiva
    Participant

The software is degenerating rapidly from its normally mediocre functions. I read of people losing their entire posts. I just had a post “wiped” out.” I am told I must be “logged-in” to post, but when I go to the home page, I am already logged-in.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Shiva.

elitemachinery
    Participant

@shiva

I’ve had this happen a few times in the past. System asked me to login after pressing submit and I lost my post. Although my browser indicated that I was logged-in I was actually logged out.

I developed the habit of pressing ctrl+a (to select my post) and ctrl+c (to copy the text of my post) before press “submit.” This way if the post doesn’t go thru I can press ctrl+v (to paste the content of the post again) after logging in.

I’m not sure but many sites log you out after a certain amount of time. Or if you clear your cookies you are logged out. Not sure it has anything to do with the software. It’s more of a browser thing I believe.

Shiva
    Participant

Elite: I developed the habit of pressing ctrl+a (to select my post) and ctrl+c (to copy the text

Oh, I’ve done that exact thing for a couple of years now. My post was wiped out, but then the copy is right there to re-do the post, after checking login status, gender orientation, and the outside temperature.

LAShTAL usually keeps one logged-in for 2 weeks. There is also a big slowdown in the USA since the FCC dropped the “net neutrality” rule. Now the providers can throttle whatever they want. Sites that PAY more or bigger get their electrons passed through pronto, while simple can expect limited bandwidth or slower speeds. The new age of internet speed allows providers to throttle, but they must DECLARE it (somewhere). If they throttle without notification, they are in violation of some FTC (Federal Trade Commission) rule and can be investigated and fined. S far (ho-hum), I guess nobody has complained to the FTC, because there’s been no “investigating” that I’ve heard about.

I agree that browsers are not to be dismissed as unflawed. Actually, now that webpages have to “optimized” for fartsmones, the regular browsers and computers are eating dung. Right now, my previously instant connection has dropped to around 1999 standards, when we were all hooked up by telephone modems and wires.

christibrany
    Participant

On the speed end of things, not the forums, you may see faster speeds if you switch to a lighter less commercial browser that has built in ad-block and speeding processes. I use Opera and everything is very fast, and I don’t even have broadband or land internet, I just use my phone as my ISP/router because I don’t download much.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.