Home Forums Aleister Crowley Scarlet Women Roddie Minor Biography

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

There is very limited – well practically nothing – bio info on Roddie online. Published biographies have little to say about her – “Perdurabo” gives the most, though still sparse – and nothing whatsoever after 1918 when she and Uncle Al parted company. Being in the antipodes, I do not have access to any physical archives that might contain information about her. Can anyone offer anything? I would like to include a brief bio of her in my forthcoming edition of The Amalantrah Working

(see https://www.lashtal.com/liber-729-the-amalantrah-working-vel-liber-97-soror-achithas-vision/)

Anonymous

Note: @NI1519@
    @NI1519@ NOTERoddie was a chemist and a graduate of Columbia University. ========================================================================== From: “William Breeze” […] To: JFHawthorne […] Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 2:12 AM Subject : Vee & Roddie Minor
    Dear Fred
    Thanks so much for your e-mail — the details helped paint a clear picture of Roddie Minor’s family background. […]

I’m not a Minor family member — I’m researching biographical data for several book projects. Roddie Minor played a brief but important role in the life of the English poet and philosopher Aleister Crowley (1875-1947) and her memory is cherished by a lot of people. As you may know, Crowley has a controversial reputation, but lately is being re-evaluated — e.g. the BBC polled 30,000 Brits as to their Most Important Briton and he ranked 73 in a field of 100, beating out Yeats, Byron and Shelly. I manage Crowley’s literary estate and edit his books.
    I’ve established when and where Roddie died, and have ordered her SS-5 (she died Roddie Warwick in Accomack, VA, in 1979). I also have her birth date, 9 Apr 1884. She was mentioned in an Orlando Sun-Sentinel obituary for her sister Washie Minor Hudson — the library is mailing a copy of the obituary (which mentions two Hudson sons). I also asked the local Virginia library for Roddie’s obituary and expect it shortly. I’ll get back in touch when I’ve assembled all this data and pass it along — if you’d like photocopies, just say so and provide a mailing address.
    If you do speak with the Minor family, I would appreciate knowing any further details about Roddie, particularly biographical anecdotes or memoirs — I’d be happy to speak directly to anyone willing to recount any oral history. She was a remarkable woman. I am also very interested to know if her papers and library survives intact. Possibly not, as it’s
    unlikely she had children of her own as she married Mr. Warwick quite late, and she was the last of her siblings to pass on, but you never know unless you ask.
    […]
    All best wishes
    Bill Breeze
    =============================================================== The following was supplied by William “Bill” Breeze:
    Here’s Aleister Crowley’s description of Roddie Minor from his “Confessions” (abridged ed., 1969):
    Her name was Roddie Minor, a married woman living apart from her husband, a near artist of German extraction. She was physically a magnificent animal, with a man’s brain well stocked with general knowledge and a special comprehension of chemistry and pharmacy. She was at this time employed in the pathological laboratory of a famous doctor, but afterwards became managing chemist to a prominent firm of perfumery manufactures. I have said that she had a man’s brain, but despite every effort, there was still one dark corner in which her femininity had taken refuge and defied her to expel it. From time to time the garrison made a desperate sortie. At such moments her womanhood avenged itself savagely on her ambition. She was more frantically feminine than any avowed woman could possibly be. She was ruthlessly irrational. Such attacks were fortunately as short as they were severe, but unfortunately too often did irreparable damage.”
    Coming from Crowley, a description of a woman as having a “man’s brain” is as profound a compliment as is possible.
    Later he describes her again as a doctor of pharmacy, employed in pathological analysis, and later in manufacturing perfumery.” =================================================================== The following was supplied by William “Bill” Breeze:
    Dear Fred I received Roddie’s obituary, transcribed below:
    Accomac Eastern Shore News, Jan 25, 1979
    Mrs. R. Warwick
    Mrs. Roddie Minor Warwick, 93, widow of the late Robert Lee Warwick and a resident of Greenbackville, died at Bi-County Nursing Home, January 17, 1979 after a long illness. Born in Georgia, her late parents were William Jackson Minor and Eliza Haughthorn [sic] Minor. She was a graduate of Columbia University, new York, and a Cosmetic Technician.
    The Funeral was held at the graveside in Union Greenbackville Cemetery, Saturday, January 20, at 11:00 a.m., conducted by the Rev. Herbert Seemann.
    Two nephews survive.
    Arrangements were made by Watson and Melson Funeral Home, Pocomike, Md. ======================================================================
    Dear Fred
    I received the SS-5 from Social Security today for Roddie, which gives some new information.
    She filed the form in 1955 at age 70, as Roddie Minor Warwick, and was then living in Pocokoke, MD. Her birth date is 4-9-84, birthplace Gwinnett [County], GA. Father William J. Minor, mother Lide Hawthorne. So we at least learned her exact birth date and the county in Georgia.
    I did look through Gwinnett records to see if I could trace William J. Minor’s father. The family is prominent there — a Lazarus Minor was one of its founding fathers, and both he and his wife are from North Carolina (as William Minor indicated his parents were in the census), but Lazarus was too old to have been William’s father. No doubt a relative though.
    I’m still unpacking my photos but haven’t forgotten my promise to send Roddie’s, and will also send whatever I get from Columbia when they reply.
    All best
    Bill Breeze

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by  lashtal. Reason: Moderator's Note: Without evidence of Mr Breeze's permission for your reproduction, I have removed email addresses and some personal information

lashtal
    Keymaster

Moderator’s Note

Please confirm that you have the relevant approval from Mr Breeze for your publication of his email. In its absence, I have removed personal email addresses and two irrelevant pieces of personal information.

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

But I thought Elsie was trying to get hold of Mr Breeze — just last month, wasn’t there an entire thread created by her around trying to contact him with everyone piling in with suggestions? (well, not everyone)

Curious!
    Norma N Joy Conquest

ignant666
    Participant

I suspected she might have been quoting a publicly available source, for that very reason, Jamie.

The internet scrying device known as google reveals the full text she quotes (complete with the details now redacted here) available at:

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Minor-89

Anonymous

what ignant666 said. i was merely quoting wikitree page, which presumably has permissions for the reproductions of Mr Breeze’s emails.

Anonymous

what ignant666 said

lashtal
    Keymaster

Moderator’s Note

1 – Rather than stating, after challenge, that you were ‘merely quoting wikitree page,’ it would have made sense to include the source.
    2 – Have you managed to make contact with Mr Breeze yet?
    3 – Does your ‘forthcoming’ publication of the Amalantrah Working have the necessary copyright approval (assuming such approval is required)?

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

1 – Rather than stating, after challenge, that you were ‘merely quoting wikitree page,’ it would have made sense to include the source.
    Here, Here!

2 – Have you managed to make contact with Mr Breeze yet?
    Like all other Lashtalians, I’m sure we must all be on tenterhooks waiting to hear & that there will be a massed cheer worldwide once contact has finally been made and the relevant thread can then be closed with a thankful collective sigh. Come on, Bill, if you’re reading this, put the gal out of her misery!

3 – Does your ‘forthcoming’ publication of the Amalantrah Working have the necessary copyright approval (assuming such approval is required)?
    Yes, I was wondering this too. I am sure you must be so punctilious though, Elsie, that you couldn’t have dared to have otherwise. But if for any shockingly disrespectful reason you haven’t, I might also add —

4 — Got yourself a good lawyer?! 🙂

‘Forthcomingly’ yours,
    N Joy

Anonymous

1. yes, that was an oversight
    2. no. but I imagine he is now cognizant of my request
    3. depends on the jurisdiction where published
    4. considering my income and assets, not to mention that – perhaps unlike other editors of AC’s material – I have no interest in financial benefit from this project, perhaps you should get yourself a good accountant

There is no law beyond Do what thou wilt

Anonymous

“Rather than stating, after challenge, that you were ‘merely quoting wikitree page,’ it would have made sense to include the source.”

ignant666 had already done that, as I indicated. why was it necessary to repeat it?

Anonymous

p.s. i would update the relevant reply ignant666’s comment with the link https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Minor-89 if i knew how to do that.

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

Considering my income and assets, not to mention that – perhaps unlike other editors of AC’s material – I have no interest in financial benefit from this project
    I know just how you feel!

perhaps you should get yourself a good accountant
    But… I just can’t afford one, bub! (Boom, tish)

There is no law beyond Do what thou wilt
    Yowsah!

N Joy

Michael Staley
    Participant

Elsie Gray Parker wrote:

depends on the jurisdiction where published

From what jurisdiction are you planning to publish, Elsie?

Anonymous

Michael Staley, I’m not the publisher, I’m the editor.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.