Home Forums Aleister Crowley Biography Ruthvah: Crowley’s sex-appeal ointment

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author

williams
    "Tao" wrote:
    But darling, I’m not particularly interested in your intellectual theories regarding the logical shortcomings of others. I’m interested in the juicy details of your own first-hand experience with the Beast’s panty-dropping elixir.
    :-*

Well those , “intellectual theories” you describe, succinctly document my views on rutvah and it’s effects.  Yeah the use of rutvah seemed to generate unusual attraction for me (my then naïve self) but a , ” panty-dropping elixir” it is not as such.  I did better without any kind of perfume.  Having said that I do vouch for spraying fly-deterrent on the body in large doses.  Works every time with the ladies  😉

Baal
    Participant

Totally random thoughts. I remember long ago, 1980ish,  purchasing a bottle of this ( or what may well have been a joke played upon ignorant young occultists) from, dare I mention, the Sorcerers Apprentice.
    It smelled pretty bad,  and I never actually used it for the prescribed function.
    But I have to say it gave me one of the greatest laughs and genuinely happy experiences of my occult life, when I found a soon to be good friend who had also bought a Bootle many years before we met.
    Man did we laugh at our collective stupidity.
    Life is for learning.

michaelclarke18
    Participant

Don’t we all?  That’s why you’re here on this forum.  Once upon a time you knew nothing about Crowley and then you read some Crowley books.

I am here due to some of the very interesting posts made by Lashtal members, who have thoroughly researched the life of AC  – and his influences and associates – and then post the results of some of their researches. This is an Aleister Crowley website, as opposed to a purely Thelema website – there’s an important difference!

The point I wish to make, relates to the importance of the analysis of ones own experience of being in the world and related spiritual experiences. I don’t think it appropriate to be quoting the words of others when it comes to such things – each one of us is different each with our own viewpoint…and what might make you laugh, might not necessarily make me laugh etc. Try not to allow your experience of the world to be framed with the thoughts of another, accepted without question…I’ve learnt that the hard way.

Baal
    Participant

I agree, the most interesting posts are those that at least sound as if they are personal experiences. The real world of the “occult” bears very little resemblance at all to what one usually finds in published books.

Baal
    Participant

williams
    "Baal" wrote:
    Totally random thoughts. I remember long ago, 1980ish,  purchasing a bottle of this ( or what may well have been a joke played upon ignorant young occultists) from, dare I mention, the Sorcerers Apprentice.
    It smelled pretty bad,  and I never actually used it for the prescribed function.
    But I have to say it gave me one of the greatest laughs and genuinely happy experiences of my occult life, when I found a soon to be good friend who had also bought a Bootle many years before we met.
    Man did we laugh at our collective stupidity.
    Life is for learning.

Didn’t  they used to have a warning that came with it,”not to be used for selfish purposes” but how do you figure that?  You’re only supposed to use it to find your wife (mother to your Christian children) with it or something?

williams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqb54soKU8M  1m23s  LaVey admits to wearing musk in TV interview

Falcon
    Participant

Advertising Standards Authority Ruling on Sorcerer’s Apprentice Ltd Ruthvah advertising:

http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2014/4/Sorcerers-Apprentice-Ltd/SHP_ADJ_232785.aspx#.VCMlafldV8E

http://www.pliner.net/appmb2/134a9f/1222597/

Central Weekend Television interview with Chris Bray of the Sorcerer’s Apprentice shop. After a Cook Report anti-Occult TV programme ‘The Devil’s Work’, Mr Bray’s shop was firebombed.

williams

I piut some rutvah on a few months ago and went to a gig with two friends.  Later on I went by myself to see some other friends in a pub.  As I sat at their table a lady came over and said to my friend”I fancy him (me) I want him.”.

Let’s just leave at that for now.

michaelclarke18
    Participant

I piut some rutvah on a few months ago and went to a gig with two friends.  Later on I went by myself to see some other friends in a pub.  As I sat at their table a lady came over and said to my friend”I fancy him (me) I want him.”.

Let’s just leave at that for now.

I think there could definitely be a saleable product in there.

William Thirteen
    Participant

While the gentlemen will be dousing themselves with too much Ruthvah, in the powder room across the hall the ladies know exactly how to attract the attention of those handsome Thelemic gentlemen….

The sweet, sexy smell of old books is a perfume fad

Falcon
    Participant

Update: It appears that due to the UK ASA ruling on the SA Shop advertising of Ruthvah, the Sorcerer’s Apprentice no longer sell it.

However there is now another supplier overseas:

http://www.witchcraftsartisanalchemy.com/ruthvah-aleister-crowleys-elixir-of-love-roll-on-perfume-oil/

ignant666
    Participant

Even before his logic course, david had his moments:

I do vouch for spraying fly-deterrent on the body in large doses. Works every time with the ladies[.]

“Witchcraft’s Art Is Anal Chemy” dot com?! Yikes!

Vendor is docked points for advertising “Pheromones for (to be worn by) Men” and “Pheromones for (to be worn by) Women”- as if all men wanted to attract women, and all women wanted attract men! “Holy heteronormativity, Batman!” as the Boy Wonder might have said confronted with this benighted view held by folks who clearly Need To Get Out More.

Falcon
    Participant

@ignant666 “Witchcraft’s Art is Anal Chemy” dot com?! Yikes!” HA! Yes it does sound a bit OTT to say the least doesn’t it. I put it out there as an alternative supplier but if anyone knows of other vendors particularly any companies run by Thelemites perhaps they could let us know on this thread.

fanadil
    Participant

I used to make my own back in the 70s and 80s, but genuine ambergris and civet oils are now hard to come by in the US. Pity. It was quite pleasant and seemed to work subtly but effectively. I still have a couple of drams of it left which I sniff occasionally for old time’s sake.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  fanadil.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.