Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

lashtal
    Keymaster

We’re all aware, of course, that Crowley stares out from the cover of The Beatles’ Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.

The Boston Globe has a charming article on the design, including confirmation that he was included in it on the recommendation of John Lennon:

Aleister Crowley: Notorious mystic, polymath, and drug user chosen, designer Jann Haworth says, by John Lennon.

Michael Staley
    Participant
    "lashtal" wrote:
    Aleister Crowley: Notorious mystic, polymath, and drug user chosen, designer Jann Haworth says, by John Lennon.

I’d always thought it would have been Lennon’s choice, so it’s good to see confirmation.

But polymath? It doesn’t quite add up, does it . . .

lashtal
    Keymaster
    "MichaelStaley" wrote:
    But polymath? It doesn’t quite add up, does it…

According to The Polymath Society (remarkable what Google throws up, isn’t it?!), a polymath is defined as:

Etymology: Greek – very learned, from poly- + manthanein to learn.

The dictionary definition of a polymath is a very learned person, of encyclopedic knowledge. There is also the connotation of having an understanding deeper than that found in an encyclopedia, that is, an expert in many fields.

Which sounds about right to me…

starla
    Participant

Peter Blake once considered using another image of Crowley for the Pepper cover. ‘The Magician’ in his robe and crown… first published in Book 4 part 2. He even went to the trouble of having a life sized image made, in contemporary photos you can see him lying on the floor with other ‘people we like’.

VRST
    Participant

According to HB the Beatles originally planned to have two images of Crowley on the Sgt Peppers’ cover but they dropped the magician image because it too closely resembled McCartney.

the_real_simon_iff
    Participant
    "VRST" wrote:
    According to HB the Beatles originally planned to have two images of Crowley on the Sgt Peppers’ cover but they dropped the magician image because it too closely resembled McCartney.

93, VRST and Starla!

Thanks so much these terrific pieces of AC (or Beatles) trivia! LOL!

Love=Law
    Lutz

666tsaeb
    Participant

John Lennon:

“The whole Beatle idea was to do what you want, right? To take your own responsibility, do what you want and try not to harm other people, right? DO WHAT THOU WILST, as long as it doesn’t hurt somebody. . .”

(“The Playboy Interviews with John Lennon and Yoko Ono”, by David Sheff and G. Barry Golson, p. 61)

But just what did he believe in?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7zqDjfuloA&search=john+lennon

belmurru
    Participant
    "666TSAEB" wrote:
    John Lennon:

But just what did he believe in?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7zqDjfuloA&search=john+lennon

Lovely, thanks.

Sounds like he really found himself. “I was the Walrus, now, I’m just John.”

What better way to come back to reality?

I think he was a real Thelemite, even if he (or was it the interviewer?) misquoted AL I:40.

(I don’t mean he was initiated into the A.A. or OTO, or even did any of the practices – he was probably the type that followed The Comment and discarded (“destroyed”) the Book after the first reading – he already knew his Will.)

seeyouintheentity
    Participant

So Aleister Crowley appears on the cover of this “Sergeant Pepper” album. Why is this considered interesting or important?

It seems every post-1967 Crowley biographer feels obliged to include this insipid fact at the earliest opportunity and it has become very tiresome. I hate the way in which Crowley has been appropriated by the so-called counter culture and, by default, the Left simply because he led a life that to them seems to typify the hippy ideal. I almost wish Crowley had lived on until the 1960s so that he could have sexually and financially exploited these people before subjecting them to a vicious campaign of ridicule and humiliation. I feel sure he would have despised them.

John Lennon was a scoundrel and I doubt if he’d ever read a word of Crowley’s writings when he made his oh-so-inspired decision to make use of his image for commercial gain. I suspect the same may be said of other famous Crowleyites such as Robbie Williams and Ozzy Osbourne. For these purveyors of mindless trash Crowley is nothing more than a “dabbler in sex, drugs and black magic” as the Pepper sleeve describes him. Or was that a quotation from Horatio Bottomley?

And any mention of AC in connection with “heavy metal” music just makes my skin crawl.

Aum418
    Participant
    "seeyouintheentity" wrote:
    So Aleister Crowley appears on the cover of this “Sergeant Pepper” album. Why is this considered interesting or important?

It seems every post-1967 Crowley biographer feels obliged to include this insipid fact at the earliest opportunity and it has become very tiresome. I hate the way in which Crowley has been appropriated by the so-called counter culture and, by default, the Left simply because he led a life that to them seems to typify the hippy ideal. I almost wish Crowley had lived on until the 1960s so that he could have sexually and financially exploited these people before subjecting them to a vicious campaign of ridicule and humiliation. I feel sure he would have despised them.

I doubt he would have done that, I doubt he would have despised them, and I dont think that giving him publicity isbad at all. Crowley probably wouldve largely fallen into obscurity if it wasnt for this very reference. Who cares, really? People have their own heros, let the Beatles have theirs.

John Lennon was a scoundrel and I doubt if he’d ever read a word of Crowley’s writings when he made his oh-so-inspired decision to make use of his image for commercial gain.

I dont think he ‘was a scoundrel’ nor do I think he never read a word of his writings – he wouldnt include him for no reason.

I suspect the same may be said of other famous Crowleyites such as Robbie Williams and Ozzy Osbourne. For these purveyors of mindless trash Crowley is nothing more than a “dabbler in sex, drugs and black magic” as the Pepper sleeve describes him. Or was that a quotation from Horatio Bottomley?

People probably read him but everyone has their own selective perception about what they want to hear.

And any mention of AC in connection with “heavy metal” music just makes my skin crawl.

OK – but why the hostility? For everyone legitimate investigator of the occult or any subject whatsoever, theres going to be 20 charlatans. What does it even matter? Perhaps you just needed to vent a little…?

65 & 210,
    111-418

Michael Staley
    Participant

Why not? It’s not as if anybody here considers it one of the most amazing or significant thing to happen in the 20th Century. Why do you get so agitated about it?

I hate the way in which Crowley has been appropriated by the so-called counter culture and, by default, the Left simply because he led a life that to them seems to typify the hippy ideal.

What does it matter who he has been appropriated by? Why should it affect you? I don’t really care for all the Led Zeppelin associations myself, but many do and that’s fine. “So-called counter culture”, “Left”, “hippy” – is it possible that these are terms of abuse in your lexicon?

I almost wish Crowley had lived on until the 1960s so that he could have sexually and financially exploited these people before subjecting them to a vicious campaign of ridicule and humiliation. I feel sure he would have despised them.

Finally we get to the nub of your post. The light in which you regard Crowley appears a little less than complimentary. Perhaps you resent his being on the cover of “Sergent Pepper”?

John Lennon was a scoundrel and I doubt if he’d ever read a word of Crowley’s writings when he made his oh-so-inspired decision to make use of his image for commercial gain.

Lennon wasn’t a saint, and was a mixture of good and bad like the rest of us. It’s more likely than not that he had read some Crowley by then, I would have thought.

Rather a lot makes your skin crawl, doesn’t it? It must be in permanent motion around your body, wriggling and writhing like there’s no tomorrow.

babalond
    Participant

What I’d like to know is what happened to the (or in view of posts above, both the) life size cardboard cutouts of Crowley. This (these) would seem to be some of the more interesting bits of Crowley (or depending how you look at it Beatles) kitsch ever made.

Imagine the life size cardboard Crowley stood in the corner of *your* living room! πŸ˜›

Can anybody here illuminate us on this?

93 93/93

John

Michael Staley
    Participant
    "babalond" wrote:
    Can anybody here illuminate us on this?

Try asking “seeyouintheentity”. He’ll probably be able to tell you.

666tsaeb
    Participant

Question:

Why was Sgt. Pepper released exactly 20 years to the day after AC’s death, and why does its title song begin with “It was twenty years ago today” ?

Michael Staley
    Participant
    "666TSAEB" wrote:
    Why was Sgt. Pepper released exactly 20 years to the day after AC’s death, and why does its title song begin with “It was twenty years ago today” ?

Umm . . . The album was released in June 1967. Crowley died in December 1967. 19-and-a-half years to the day, perhaps?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.