Solar-Phallic Forelock?

Home Forums Thelema Thelema Solar-Phallic Forelock?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Jeffrey D. Evans
    Participant

The “Solar-Phallic Forelock” may very well be a literary device used to refer to the Lamina Papyracea, the “Paper Plate” or “Blade Plate”, often described as “a smooth bone shaped like a leaf“. It sets the nasal cavity apart from the brain and is situated close to the ethnoid bone, which forms the area of the skull at the roof of the nose. It sets the nasal cavity apart from the brain.

The ethnoidis right between the two orbits, which contain the eyes, thus it is perfectly positioned with the ajnacakkra. The element attributed to the sense of sight is Fire.

ignant666
    Participant

Thank you for that, but the hypothetical “forelock” is hair not bone, and we are talking about a thing at the front of the hair line (or perhaps drooping down, like a precursor to the Misfits’ “devil locks”), not eyebrow level.

The open questions:

Is there any evidence that AC’s description of this hairdo is not another of his, um, flights of fancy?

Can anyone find the source of the phrase i am certain i remember “solar-phallic forelock”?

And, i suppose, has any latter-day Thelemite besides myself ever been silly enough to have one? The whole-hearted “Nos” from all concerned attest to the good sense of most here.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  ignant666.

Jeffrey D. Evans
    Participant

The Solar-Phallic Forelock may very well be a literary device referring to the Lamina Papyracea, the “Paper Plate” or “Blade Plate” often described as “a smooth bone shaped like a leaf. It’s situated close to the ethnoid bone, which forms the area of the skull at the roof of the nose, where it sets the naal cavity apart from the brain.

Note the prefix-syllable LAM, the strange entity 666 drew which he sometimes described as the ‘future state of humanity’.

It is also sometimes called the Orbital Lamina, because the ethnoid is right between the two Orbits, which contain the eyes: thus, it is perfectly situated (anatomically) at the position of the ajnacakkra.

Jeffrey D. Evans
    Participant

I note your remark, but I used the phrase “literary device”, not “literal device”. And, I didn’t mean to repeat myself, but I’m just getting used to using LAShTAL!

Shiva
    Participant

JDE: It sets the nasal cavity apart from the brain and is situated close to the ethnoid bone

I do not wish to introduce violence, as this is such a quietly proceeding thread, but I cannot hel;p but mention that these little bones are the target for certain karate techniques (which result in death). Protect your ethnoid and its neighbors!

Ig: Is there any evidence that AC’s description of this hairdo is not another of his, um, flights of fancy?

Well, there’s no hard evidence (like written quotes or photos), but there’s hearsay evidence (not admissible) such as me hearing (reading) your “fancy” interrogation … and me saying, “Yeah, flights.”

Horemakhet
    Participant

There is one photo of AC with it. I did a quick search & came up with nothing, but it was for a newspaper or tabloid. I can’t remember which at the moment.. sorry Gents. It’s out there. I’m guessing that I first saw it in Sandy Robertson’s book…

belmurru
    Participant

ignant666
    Participant

But is that a “solar-phallic forelock” or a cowlick? A bit Tin-Tin-esque.

There is a lot of hair that has not been shaved- he has not “shaved the head with the exception of a single lock in the center of the forehead”.

belmurru
    Participant

Indeed, not up to Abbey standards. But it does not look accidental. It is also pre-Abbey, by my estimation of his age.

Horemakhet
    Participant

Ok then there are two…the one that I’m remembering has the rest of his head shaved. He wasn’t a man to prescribe something without doing it himself & benefiting from it. Doctor Crowley… Giving a twist to Allan Bennett’s teaching with aplomb.

ignant666
    Participant

Reviewed the Abbey of Thelema section of Symonds’ book to see if he would make fun of Abbey dwellers’ funny hairdos (since he is always the go-to for anything anti-AC, or belittling him)- he mentions them having “phallic forelocks”, but not “solar-phallic forelocks”. When i made my teenage attempt to follow these instructions, i did not realize the obvious point that said forelock is to be greased or otherwise induced to stand priapically erect.

I earlier mentioned this important example of the “solar-phallic forelock” (and thus the “93 current”) in 20th century pop culture (a Belgian cartoon character called Tin-tin, for my fellow Americans), whose “do” exemplifies that priapic erectness:

Tin-tin showing solar-phallic forelock

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by  ignant666.

soz
    Participant

There’s a kind of a self-portrait by AC (as To Mega Therion) reproduced in the Arkana edition of the Confessions where he has the forelock. It’s quite phallic — it’s shaped like a little cock and balls.

(I found a version of the drawing online. It’s tinted purple. I think I remember that he referred to it as the “Horus forelock”).

AC self-portrait with bald head and Horus forelock

View post on imgur.com

• This reply was modified 6 days, 18 hours ago by  soz. Reason: embedded image not displaying

ignant666
    Participant

There’s no disputing, soz, that the “solar-phallic forelock” was part of the AC imaginarium- there are several other self portraits showing it, and in fact the copy of the Confessions that i’ve been skimming for more on this is that very edition.

The thing is that if AC, or anyone else, ever actually complied with his tonsorial prescription, they escaped being photographed.

Thankfully, there are no photos of my teenage “Solar-Phallic Mullet”, but i can tell you it takes a long time to grow out and look even vaguely normal, so we are talking about a pretty long window of missed photographic opportunity.

soz
    Participant

I wonder how often he would let his hair grow out, and then shave his head. I remember there’s a passage in the Confessions where he wrote that he would keep his head shaved so as to free up every available second. Thinking that he could have shaved his head/styled his forelock in preparation for the Abbey, where there might be a gap in the photographic record.

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

Without wishing to pick any nits amongst all the hair ig, Tin Tin doesn’t exemplify the ‘solar phallic forelock’ in 20th century pop culture because
    There is a lot of hair that has not been shaved – he has not “shaved the head with the exception of a single lock in the center of the forehead”
    – if we look at the picture provided, he has got a lot of hair (down to his ear) on his right (our left) hand side. The bits sticking up are a lot more than a lock, also.

Talking of near-misses, I was once told years ago that Peter Gabriel had such a haircut, as was modelled by him fronting Genesis at the Lincoln festival in 1972 (and can also be seen on the inside gatefold sleeve of their album Foxtrot) but it clearly is not – if anything it looks the other way round in fact (i.e. it has a phallic shape shaven out of his hair straight up from the middle of his forehead). It looks about as silly as his Britannia or (sun?) flower headpiece, but unfortunately I do not have the expertise to provide a shot of it here for purposes of general amusement.

Supplemental queries I would also quite like to see answered are: if A.C. didn’t originate the phrase and concept himself, then who did? Does it go back to ancient Antiquity (or Egypt anyway)? How long is one meant to grow the lock (for)? And what is the best way to get the forelock to be phallic i.e., “stand to attention”? (I imagine that one would have to take a leaf out of Salvador Dali’s book with regard to his singular ‘tash, namely a liberal application of a particular sort of wax.)
    There’s no reason in theory why all the ladeez – or one or two of them maybe – shouldn’t grow one as well (the forelock that is, not the merry old ‘tash) unusual – mightily unusual – though that would be.

I remember there’s a passage in the Confessions where he wrote that he would keep his head shaved so as to free up every available second.
    But I don’t get it, as surely all that extra effort would have the opposite effect – how many freely available seconds is it going to take to need to shave your head every day instead of just simply trotting off down to the barbers (say) once a month?

N Joy

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.