Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • Author

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

I read somewhere that Ozzy is more or less an Anglican,
    Well, you can strike me down right here and now with a fevver

If one listens to those early Sabbath lyrics, it’s quite clear from the very start that, contrary to popular opinion, there’s no glorification of anything “Satanic”–on the contrary, Geezer’s lyrics are often explicitly Christian in orientation
    I don’t think there was a lyric sheet with any of the early LPs, with one exception – this probably explains why! Surely (with a name like B.S.) this is trading under false pretences and even allowing for poetic hyperbole rather goes against the vérité. Or is another type of B.S. involved?

Let’s not forget that some among the Wiccan population have been driven out of their homes due to harassment
    What – the villagers armed with pitchforks and burning brands have already turned up at the door? I didn’t know about this — any more facts/ linkage to accurate reports of this persecution, please?

Closing with the barbarians appearing to be masing at the gate,
    n Joy

dom
    Participant

Well, that will remain a matter of opinion, won’t it?! Are you seriously referring to the lyrics there, dom/david? As for the content of the actual words themselves they could have been done by any half-literate sixth-former:

…we don’t know 100% who wrote that song. If you read my links and weigh up the evidence you will see that is possible that Daisley wrote it and Ozzy never.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by  dom.

strider
    Participant

Or is another type of B.S. involved?

I guess the name just sounded cool. But the lyric from “War Pigs” that draws a parallel between “witches at Black Masses” (basically synonymous with Black Sabbaths, i.e. devil worship) and “Generals gathered in their masses” leaves little doubt that such gatherings are NOT being depicted in a positive light. Of course, these “witches” are those of medieval hysteria, not Wiccans or neo-Pagans, which were probably not even a blip on the old Geezer’s radar. I think its powerful apocalyptic imagery is still quite effective for the simple anti-war message–“Come on, people, you don’t like Satan? Well, war (in particular Vietnam) is Satanic, Satan loves war (“Satan laughing spreads his wings”) but the war pigs are going to suffer in the end!” Just narrowly beats out Dylan’s “Masters of War” for anti-war anthems imho.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by  strider.

dom
    Participant

@strider

Well, war (in particular Vietnam) is Satanic, Satan loves war (“Satan laughing spreads his wings”) but the war pigs are going to suffer in the end!” Just narrowly beats out Dylan’s “Masters of War” for anti-war anthems imho.

I know what you’re saying about the horrors of war. Do you think that there was a genuine threat of the “domino effect” spreading through to Burma, Nepal and eventually engulfing the entire nation of India?

strider
    Participant

Do you think that there was a genuine threat of the “domino effect” spreading through to Burma, Nepal and eventually engulfing the entire nation of India?

Good question. I’d venture to wager not, though I certainly ain’t no expert!

elitemachinery
    Participant

WildWitch
    Participant

I just hope that non-Thelemites who watch the Strange Angel don’t get a lot of misconceptions about Thelemites and/or Thelema in general and go on a tirade against Thelemites and/or Thelema.

WildWitch
    Participant

I had seen a particular clip from the Strange Angel on the YouTube and another person who had viewed the clip had stated that “Oh, now Satanism is being presented as hip and cool”. (These words are not the exact words, but its the sentiment in the words that matters.) It’s statements such as this that give me cause for concern. What will sentiments such as this cause people to do?

Tiger
    Participant

Satanism is being presented as hip and cool
    What will sentiments such as this cause people to do?

Some may look into things deeper .
    Churches can convince their people on the necessity for raising the tithes .

Do you think that there was a genuine threat of the “domino effect” spreading through to Burma, Nepal and eventually engulfing the entire nation of India?

Nations are not dominoes though some will continue to see the Human Geography as such .

nice Original Rocket Man ft. Dr. Michio Kaku & Amy Shira Teitel clip.
    thanks

elitemachinery
    Participant

@wildwitch said:

I just hope that non-Thelemites who watch the Strange Angel don’t get a lot of misconceptions about Thelemites and/or Thelema in general and go on a tirade against Thelemites and/or Thelema.

I don’t think there is any danger of this happening. Jack Parsons is a pioneer of rocket science first and a Thelemite second. Also the show is telling his story slowly and accurately over a long series that could last five seasons. Jack Parsons story could have easily been told in a 1 hour tv episode hack job.

Instead we a have a group of intelligent creators and actors who have actually done their research. This is probably the first time AC or his ilk have had a major television network behind them so it will make it more difficult for the name calling to take place in this context.

Also the fruits of their labor (Rocket Science) are quite impressive and it’s hard to argue with results like orbiting satellites, space stations, or putting a man on the moon.

Daily Mail and Alex Jones and conspiracy theorists love to slander AC and throw AC’s name around whenever someone is accused of doing evil things or being a member of the ILLUMINATI. If stories such as Strange Angel continue to get accurately told by major media networks it may be harder to do these uneducated hit pieces slandering Aleister Crowley or Thelema in the future.

dom
    Participant

Any chance of this coming to Netflix?

• This reply was modified 11 months ago by  dom.

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

Satanism is being presented as hip and cool
    What will sentiments such as this cause people to do? “

Will it cause them to do much different? This all happened before in the ’60s, in the aftermath of Rosemary’s Baby etc. Sammy Davis Jnr even joined the Church of Stan! What goes around comes around. At his best, LaVey was quite charismatic and articulate; there doesn’t seem as if there is anyone around to fill those particular shoes these days though.

“That’s Entertainment”,
    N Joy

wellreadwellbred
    Participant

According to the current popularity rating for Strange Angel at IMDb (source: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7210448/), this TV Show’s page was the 911th most viewed page among all TV Show Pages, and a downward red arrow indicates a fall in the popularity rating for this TV series by 179 points.

I think the American actor Eric Stoltz of “Pulp Fiction” fame, could have played Lafayette in Strange Angel returning for a Season 2.

Eric Stoltz
    Eric Stoltz

Lafayette
    Lafayette

wellreadwellbred
    Participant

On an IMDb (= International Movie Data base) list listing 99,090 titles titled “Most Popular Documentaries With Country of Origin United States”, Going Clear: Scientology & the Prison of Belief (2015), is listed as 95. (Source: https://www.imdb.com/search/title?explore=countries&title_type=documentary&sort=moviemeter,asc&page=2&countries=US&ref_=adv_explore_rhs)

On an IMDb (= International Movie Data base) list listing 99,090 titles titled “Most Voted Documentaries With Country of Origin United States”, Going Clear: Scientology & the Prison of Belief (2015), is listed as 23. (Source: https://www.imdb.com/search/title?title_type=documentary&explore=countries&countries=US&sort=num_votes,desc&ref_=adv_explore_rhs)

On an IMDb (= International Movie Data base) list listing 12,937 titles titled “Top-US-Grossing Documentaries Released 2015-01-01 to 2015-12-31”, Going Clear: Scientology & the Prison of Belief (2015), is listed as 96. (Source: https://www.imdb.com/search/title?title_type=documentary&year=2015&page=2&view=simple&sort=boxoffice_gross_us,desc&ref_=adv_nxt)

On an IMDb (= International Movie Data base) list listing 257,194 titles titled “Top-US-Grossing Documentaries”, Going Clear: Scientology & the Prison of Belief (2015), is listed as 1,820. (Source: https://www.imdb.com/search/title?explore=countries&title_type=documentary&view=simple&page=37&sort=boxoffice_gross_us,desc&ref_=adv_nxt)

After its first season, the TV series Strange Angel does currently have low ratings on IMDb. Due to the strong brand recognition of the world infamous Lafayette Ron Hubbardt, focusing on John Whiteside Parsons’ interaction with the former, in a second season of this TV series, is a means to attract more attention, and thus get higher ratings/earnings for it.

More use of the strong brand recognition of the world infamous Aleister Crowley, is also a means to attract more attention, and thus get higher ratings/earnings for this TV series in a second season.

In addition, the said use of the strong brand recognition of the world infamous Lafayette Ron Hubbardt, is also likely to cause the world infamous Church founded by the said Hubbard, to provide free marketing for the TV series Strange Angel.

In hindsight, the TV series Strange Angel would not have had its currently low ratings on IMDb, if the above described approach had been used in its first season. If this was the case with the TV series Strange Angel’s first season, what John Whiteside Parsons did before meeting Lafayette Ron Hubbardt, could have been covered in a following season.

Michael Staley
    Participant

@wellreadwellbred

Whatever the advantages of “brand recognition”, I should imagine that the producers of ‘Strange Angel’ are not at all keen on the probable reaction of the litigious Church of Scientology to an account of their founder’s involvement with Parsons.

In 1969, for instance, two reporters gained access to material in the Gerald Yorke Collection about Hubbard’s involvement with Parsons, and wrote an article about it which the UK newspaper ‘The Sunday Times’ published. Reaction from the Church of Scientology was swift, and ‘The Sunday Times’ soon backed down.

There’s sometimes stronger considerations than “brand recognition”.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.