THE Amalantrah Working thread

Home Forums Aleister Crowley Biography THE Amalantrah Working thread

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

thanks Michael the info is greatly appreciated

Love IS the law, love under will [emphasis added]

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

But why is emphasis added here, Elsie?  Particularly when it actually says in The Book of the Law: “The stops as thou wilt; the letters change them not in style or value!”? (II:54)

Norma N Joy Conquest

Anonymous

it says also “change not the letters in style and value” [quotes at hazard] which i have done in my signature, to add emphasis to the VERB, which is why i had included [emphasis added] which is also in accordance with standard academic practice (though that usually means italicising the emphasised words).

Anonymous

OK new question

“The Amalantrah Working” is not listed in the 1929 edition of Magick in T&P appendix I, nor is “Soror Acitha’s Vision”, “Liber 729” or “Liber 97”, nor do these titles appear in the “Syllabus” of instructions” in EQ vol. 1 (obviously!)

So, what is the origin of the titles “The Amalantrah Working”, “Soror Acitha’s Vision” and “Liber 97” in AC’s published (or unpublished!) writings???

It’s my (present) understanding that “Liber 729” was introduced in the publication of EQ3:9 in the technical title appendix.

thanks,

EGP

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

it says also “change not the letters in style and value” [quotes at hazard] which i have done in my signature, to add emphasis to the VERB, 
    Your (hazardous paraphrase?) quoting is not one with which  I am familiar, but what I am actually wondering (which you did not address) is just why you chose to emphasise the verb, what was the unconnected (because unstated) context around it & what purpose did you hope to achieve with it.

It’s my (present) understanding that “Liber 729” was introduced in the publication of EQ3:9 in the technical title appendix.
    You raise an interesting matter here though. You may well be correct in your understanding, which would (as the [C.]O.T.O’s continuation with The Holy Books of Thelema of “The Equinox”) make it first alluded to back in 1983.  However it is my belief (possibly incorrect) that Marcelo Motta may also have referred to it (The Amalantrah Working) somewhere in his own continuation of “The Equinox” (as Volume V) which was last published in 1981, two years earlier (and in that edition, he also published for the first time the similarly channelled Paris Working in full).

I too would be interested to learn where the attribution of the titles Soror Achitha’s Vision to Liber 97 and The Amalantrah Working to Liber 729 originated, whether from A.C. himself, Gerald Yorke, or Bill Breeze (who also happened to be largely responsible for “The Equinox” III:9 under Grady McMurtry’s tenure) but if so under what authority (other than editorial) since it is an A.’. A.’. not an O.T.O. text under Class C.

N Joy

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  Jamie J Barter. Reason: taking a bit of care

Anonymous

Thanks for your interest Jamie

1. to understand why i emphasise the verb, say it to yourself. compare to the verbal syntax of DWTWSBTWOTL. any way enough of that:

2. Gerald Yorke certainly calls it “The Amalantrah Working” both handwritten across the binder of OSF5a, and in his typewritten introduction therein, and also in his 1951 catalogue. a close perusal of most of AC’s letters to him mention the wizard as an incident in the course of explanations of spiritual questions, but never “The Amalantrah working” or any conception of it as a book – though i have not read EVERY letter to Yorke post 1918, or indeed the numerous holograph diaries and letters to others that are available to me – but i can find no mention of the title in any published diary.

The titles titles Soror Achitha’s Vision, Liber 97 are curious and i particularly want to know their origin.

So far it seems that the title “The Amalantrah Working” originates with Yorke, and Liber 729 the obvious label added by OTO Inc. in EQ3:9…

Nicholas Laccetti
    Participant

Quick biographical question related to the Amalantrah Working — does anyone know Crowley’s exact address at the time on West 9th Street in New York? Usually it’s just listed by street in most sources I’ve read.

I ask out of curiosity because I went to college right near there and lived on 12th St. nearby for many years, and for years now I’ve been going to a therapist weekly whose office is literally on West 9th (good residual energy in the air from the Amalantrah Working for psychotherapy, I guess ;).

Michael Staley
    Participant

@NicholasLaccetti

Does anyone know Crowley’s exact address at the time on West 9th Street in New York?

In Churton’s Aleister Crowley in America (p.526) it is given as 64a.

ignant666
    Participant

Very few NYC addresses include an “a”, and there is no 64a W. 9 St, as can be seen on Google maps/streetview:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/64+W+9th+St,+New+York,+NY+10011

The buildings on that side of the street have all been there since AC’s time, so there never was any 64a W. 9th.

As you can see, the ground floor is currently a greengrocer. Very likely the “a” is just an error, or refers the first apartment in the building, so either the ground floor that is now the market, or the second floor (aka “first floor” to you foreigners) loft above if the ground floor has always been a store.

Michael Staley
    Participant

@ignant666

The buildings on that side of the street have all been there since AC’s time, so there never was any 64a W. 9th.

Thanks for the elucidation. It may be, as you suggest, that the “a” refers to the particular apartment within the building. Having been intensely interested in the Amalanrah Working since the late 1980s, I shall visit the building the next time I am in New York.

Michael Staley
    Participant

@ignant666

Just had a play-around with the Google map link you kindly provided. It would be interesting to see some letters that Crowley sent during this period, to see how he represented the address. Given that Churton was granted what was described at the time as “unparallelled access” to O.T.O. archives, that is probably the way that he was able to give it as 64a. There’s several apartments above the shop, and perhaps that’s how the numbering operated a century ago.

ignant666
    Participant

The NYC Municipal Archives show that 64 W. 9 St. had a storefront on the ground floor at the time this tax photo was taken (sometime between 1939-41):

http://nycma.lunaimaging.com/luna/servlet/detail/NYCMA~5~5~243744~494614?sort=borough%2Cblock%2Clot%2Czip_code&qvq=q:64%20West%209%20street;sort:borough%2Cblock%2Clot%2Czip_code;lc:NYCMA~5~5&mi=3&trs=4

Here is a 1933 photo of the block, from the New York Public Library’s collections, that also seems to show a storefront there:

https://www.oldnyc.org/#711014f-a

Number 64 is the building to the left (west) of the only building on that side of the block with a fire escape in the front.

A bit later than AC’s time there of course, but these are the oldest photos I can find.

Tiger
    Participant

Well next time i visit ,
    i will have to smell the poppies in
    Jefferson Market Garden;
    stop by eldritch st. for some Yunan tea and snake wine
    in the basement of the cafe Leng ku .
    Dressed as a New Yorker,
    ponder the mysterious wizard
    among the miss pointed unfeathered bibeds
    between the embankment of Shin’ar and call forth Exu
    at the place of the Neter-khertet
    to reach the fields of Aaru .

Nicholas Laccetti
    Participant

Thanks for the great investigative work on this! Yes, this is in fact two buildings down from my therapist’s office on the same side of the street (you can actually see the building in the Google maps link above if you look a little to the left). I’m very familiar with with the bodega that’s there now.

Kind of incredible that I’ve been walking past this spot that was so important to Crowley, Achad, and others every single week for about six years now, and been in the neighborhood for the past decade, without knowing it was Crowley’s address. I knew Crowley had been in Greenwich Village for that period, but for some reason never gave the address much thought (perhaps because the Amalantrah Working hadn’t been as personally significant for me until recent years).

Nicholas Laccetti
    Participant

You can see from some of these real estate listings (very easy to stalk apartment listings in NYC) that the building has been there since 1900, is a rental building, and has 16 units. The numbering of the apartments includes letters (though it seems kind of erratic, not sure if they skip letters or what) — so this does seem to suggest that Crowley’s apartment might have been an apartment a, but we don’t know what floor he was on: https://streeteasy.com/building/64-west-9-street-new_york#tab_building_detail=4

There haven’t been any “a” apartments (if there are any) listed for rental at all on that site.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.