Home Forums Aleister Crowley Biography The Crowley Brewery

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Alan_OBrien
    Participant

There’s an element of alchemy about beer. In ancient times beer and bread were surely hit or miss affairs. People who have made either at home will know what I mean.

From about 1350 onwards brewers were after replicability and consistency, and every now and then a modern brewer will reach into his or her archives and find an old recipe, and give it a go.

Crowley’s Dad’s récipé will be glowing in some vault waiting to be discovered.

It won’t be anywhere near Croydon or Alton, though; Hollywood demands that it will somewhere like er, I dunno, Prince George, British Columbia.

ignant666
    Participant

Consistent beer is pretty easy to produce given consistent raw materials. I have been brewing my own beer for many years. Currently i have the remains of a batch of a summer wheat/barley saison, and a ridiculously strong Belgian abbey-style dubbel ale. Nothing currently in the fermenter, but will do an abbey trippel strong gold ale this week.

The real leap in brewing technology was in the 19th century (when the Crowley Ale money AC pissed through was being made) when modern understandings of yeast, bacteria, and sanitary technique emerged, and brewing was industrialized as a result. In the US, Prohibition essentially wiped out brewing knowledge, leading to American “sex in a canoe” (“fucking near water”) beer. Of course, now the US is awash with good local microbrews.

There are still “wild beers” brewed, that approximate what was drunk before sanitary methods, such as lambic, brewed in open vats in the Belgian town of Lembeek. This is actually the cutting edge of avant garde brewing, with many breweries experimenting with non-traditional (or rather from a very old, lost tradition) yeasts and methods. One notable example is Brattleboro, Vermont’s Hermit Thrush Brewery. This style of beer may not be for all: when i took my staff for beers at Hermit Thrush, one guy said, after tasting his sampler of six of their beers, “All this beer tastes like vomit”.

Crowley Ale would certainly go into my brewing rotation if the recipe turned up, though i am not a huge British beer fan.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  ignant666.
Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.