Home Forums Aleister Crowley Writer the ending of the word

Viewing 5 posts - 61 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Author

OliverStJohn
    Participant

Noctifur,

Thank you very much for that very courteous welcome to this forum. I discovered it by accident, while googling for an obsolete email address, to see if it was worth renewing. That took me straight to this thread.

I am very glad to see that the subject of my book has provoked, and continues to provoke, some serious thought and discussion on a wide range of Thelema related topics. I will look forward to exploring some of the other discussions, as well as the interesting ideas that are continually coming up here.

To all:

Some of the questions that have been thrown at me in a rather aggressive manner here, are difficult for me (or anyone else) to “answer” since those persons obviously have not read the book in question! It would not really be appropriate for me to go throwing in great chunks of chapter and verse from my own book. Some of it is quoted in my manifesto on my website, and you can read about two thirds of the book online without purchasing it.

There is also the thought that, since the topic here is really “the mysteries”, the question, or whether it is the right question, is more important than any answer. E.g., “What ails thee, o king?” in the Graal legend. Very often though, a person that wants to play inquisitor only wants to put you and the subject away in a box, so they will be safe from being disturbed by any truth!

In reply to one or two of the more insidious comments, though, I have studied and practiced Hermetics and Thelema for 20 years, not 5. My interest and practice of the occult in general extends over about 40 years (since I began having direct experience of the supernatural – or “supranatural” as it is termed in the book). It took 5 years to edit and “test” the first drafts by subjecting them to vigorous intellectual scrutiny – though it is not a “scholarly” book, by the way. In the end I threw out more material than is actually in the published editions. I went to great lengths to remove polemic, and to remove my personal opinions and personality from the book as far as possible – there is already far too much of that kind of stuff around. There is nothing about me in it, although the book has a magical basis in that Sophie and myself really “worked the path” experimentally and often to the point of exhaustion, at times putting ourselves in considerable danger. A lot of it is factual, but I believe these are facts that have been not aired much in the field. Some of it, the comparative work, for instance, is actually work that Crowley expected other people to do, he didn’t want to bother with that himself.

Following the discussions above, I have put some thought in regarding the title of the book, and I think it is perfectly adequate. There is a slight pun in it, actually, in that Crowley never claimed any kind of philosophy at all, he felt that was best to leave for the academics with their sterile battles of words (!). The sense of the word that I intend is not the academic kind of philosophy but the literal meaning of the word, “love of wisdom”.

The question of “sales strategy” is not worthy of further consideration, sorry.

einDoppelganger
    Participant

Some people would rather criticize a book they haven’t read than write one themselves. Its easier to bait and tear down than put the work in creating something real and tangible, I suppose.

Welcome to the forum Oliver.

Scott

N.O.X
    Participant

Welcome to the forum, Oliver! BTW, I really enjoyed “The Stone of Stars” in the previous issue of Starfire!

Noctifer
    Participant

A pleasure, Oliver, and something of a duty, one might have hoped. Thank you for the additional information kindly supplied by you above about your book – I shall simply have to get it now. I am particularly interested in progressive, independent perspectives, and in practical anecdote regarding application of/experimentation and development upon the Crowley material, to see what new fruit it bears: the product of its intersection with authentic individuality and experience.

Azidonis
    Participant

"OliverStJohn" wrote:
    In reply to one or two of the more insidious comments, though, I have studied and practiced Hermetics and Thelema for 20 years, not 5. My interest and practice of the occult in general extends over about 40 years (since I began having direct experience of the supernatural – or “supranatural” as it is termed in the book). It took 5 years to edit and “test” the first drafts by subjecting them to vigorous intellectual scrutiny – though it is not a “scholarly” book, by the way. In the end I threw out more material than is actually in the published editions. I went to great lengths to remove polemic, and to remove my personal opinions and personality from the book as far as possible – there is already far too much of that kind of stuff around. There is nothing about me in it, although the book has a magical basis in that Sophie and myself really “worked the path” experimentally and often to the point of exhaustion, at times putting ourselves in considerable danger. A lot of it is factual, but I believe these are facts that have been not aired much in the field. Some of it, the comparative work, for instance, is actually work that Crowley expected other people to do, he didn’t want to bother with that himself.

Thank you, sir, for clarifying this.

93 93/93

Viewing 5 posts - 61 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.