Home Forums Community Stuff The Glorious Fourth!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)
  • Author

ignant666
    Participant

Happy Independence Day to all! (and, of course, condolences to anyone whose Soviet-style military parades, fireworks, and/or taxpayer-financed campaign rallies may be ruined by the predicted heavy thunderstorms in DC this evening, and any Brits who still haven’t gotten over that whole 1776 thing, or recent women’s World Cup events)

I will be smoking two racks of baby backribs and some eggplants, to eat with salad from the garden, and listening to the annual Louis Armstrong birthday show on WKCR.edu.

And perhaps a tad bit of “drink[ing] by the eight and ninety rules of art”, though not “sweet wines or wines that foam”, but rather ale, Belgian and homebrew fake Belgian.

I am wearing a Satanic pentagram t-shirt that i bought at NYC’s Magickal Childe in the mid-’80s- does that count as “fine apparel”? (yes i have t-shirts twice (and three times!) as old as my son)

Stand! and join hands! and let us sing!
    Shake out Old Glory to the skies!
    With heart and hands defiant fling
    Our purpose against Destiny’s.
    Ashes to ashes? Dust to dust?
    So let it be! In God we trust.

[A.C.”An Hymn For The American People”. The International XII: 3.]

declaration

• This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  ignant666.
    • This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  ignant666.

Tiger
    Participant

!

ignant666
    Participant

!

Michael Staley
    Participant

@ignant666

or recent women’s World Cup events

Now you’re REALLY pushing it.

dom
    Participant

Trump just spoke total crap about the history of the USA. Disgrace.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/07/05/trump-claims-americans-took-airports-war-independence-century/

Donald Trump raised eyebrows with a bizarre historical blunder during his patriotic 4th of July address on Thursday, claiming the army of what was to become the United States “took over the airports” in the 18th century War of Independence.
    The US president suggested American domination of the skies was a factor in its victory in the fight against British rule – despite this being well over a century before the invention of the aeroplane.
    He said: “In June of 1775, the Continental Congress created a unified army out of the revolutionary forces encamped around Boston and New York … The Continental Army suffered a bitter winter of Valley Forge, found glory across the waters of the Delaware, and seized victory from Cornwallis of Yorktown

Our army manned the air, it rammed the ramparts, it took over the airports, it did everything it had to do, and at Fort McHenry, under the rockets’ red glare, it had nothing but victory.”
    …………….
    The statement included other inaccuracies. The British General Cornwallis Mr Trump referenced was in fact from London and was defeated at Yorktown, and he also incorrectly claimed the Continental Army was named after George Washington.

Observers also pointed out that the US leader appeared to have confused the 18th century War of Independence with the War of 1812. Fort McHenry is the military bastion famous for successfully defending Baltimore Harbour from the British Navy’s bombardment during the later conflict, and the phrase “the rockets’ red glare’ comes from the Francis Scott Key poem The Defense of Fort M’Henry that went on to form the lyrics of the US national anthem, The Star-Spangled Banner.
    Mr Trump told reporters Friday that at one point during his speech the rain knocked out his teleprompter.

Any American statesman worth his salt should be steeped in American and world history let alone reading rote from a teleprompter. Imagine FDR saying such crap. Talking such spaced-out nonsense is akin to something that a crazy Middle Eastern dictator would come out with. How is going to explain this?

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  dom.

dom
    Participant

Sorry for double post but his excuse was of course that the teleprompter was knocked out by the rain. Still, no excuse for a speech riddled with such ‘fake history’.

christibrany
    Participant

I am gonna ignore the political shit on the thread, bc what is the point, especially on a site full of mostly subservient ex colonies like Australia and Canada plus of course ‘Great’ Britain but I had a nice Fourth.

The nice irony bc I realise our debt to le Francais was instead of Sousa I was hearing french black metal while the fireworks burst overhead. That was nice . Especially since you usually have to fight for a seat in the college stadium (C) where the ‘works go off but we can see them from our doorstep.

We had some lovely elk burgers ala Gordon Ramsay (the dirty redcoat) and then watched some music videos.

Hail Voltaire.

PS Dom your posts are equally incoherent half the time. You should be thankful.

ignant666
    Participant

david is just mad because we rammed their ramparts, and took over their airports.

Here is Leutze’s famous painting “Washington Crossing The Delaware (With Air Support)”.

history

Are there actually any Canadians? Brits, French, Germans, miscellaneous other Europeans, the odd Australian (nothing personal Mayet), a few Americans, yes. I can’t think of any recent Canadians though.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  ignant666.

mal
    Participant

I sometimes include the American national anthem during dawn ceremonies after God Save the Queen and O’Canada.
    Started doing it on or around the fourth of July last year.
    I like and include the Civil War verse:
    When our land is illumined with Liberty’s smile,
    If a foe from within strike a blow at her glory,
    Down, down with the traitor that dares to defile
    The flag of her stars and the page of her story!
    By the millions unchained, who our birthright have gained,
    We will keep her bright blazon forever unstained!
    And the Star-Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave
    While the land of the free is the home of the brave.

Contemplating the idea of Canada and the USA joining together has got me interested in following and learning about the American electoral and political process. There are elements I like of both. But that conversation is more suited for the Thelemic politics thread.

I listened to one of the Democratic candidates give a talk about American history on the Fourth. Not as metaphysical as some of her other talks on the subject but it was enjoyable.

Tiger
    Participant

Any historian worth his salt knows
    about Professional liars, Politics and Teflon.

dom
    Participant

@christibrany

I am gonna ignore the political shit on the thread,

“Political”? Yeah I guess it is “political” when the present president of the USA gives the entire planet a fake history lesson.

bc what is the point, especially on a site full of mostly subservient ex colonies like Australia and Canada plus of course ‘Great’ Britain but I had a nice Fourth.

What is the point of what? You are not making sense. By the way have you heard of the use a hyphen as in the prefix ‘ex-‘ (meaning former)? Apparently not.

The nice irony bc I realise our debt to le Francais was instead of Sousa I was hearing french black metal while the fireworks burst overhead.

The “nice irony bc”? What or who is “bc”? I’m genuinely struggling to understand your following sentence;

“The nice irony bc I realise our debt to le Francais was instead of Sousa I was hearing french black metal while the fireworks burst overhead.”

If you make reference to a nationality you have to use a capital letter. That’s for starters. That entire sentence being bereft of commas just sounds like gobbledygook yet you’re an expert on coherent writing. Jesus.

That was nice . Especially since you usually have to fight for a seat in the college stadium (C) where the ‘works go off but we can see them from our doorstep.
    We had some lovely elk burgers ala Gordon Ramsay (the dirty redcoat) and then watched some music videos.
    Hail Voltaire.

“Ala” aside, I’m seeing an apostrophe there that was not resolved. Where? Here; where the ‘works go off but we can see them from our doorstep.

Are you with me? When you use “‘” you must follow it up with an other “‘”. Furthermore was it even necessary to split those sentences up into two paragraphs? Also I’m not too sure about the use of the full stop immediately followed by an “especially” with a capital ‘E’ there simply because the sentence beginning with “especially” was a direct connective i.e. a continuation from the previous sentence.

PS Dom your posts are equally incoherent half the time. You should be thankful

Really? Show me the evidence. You have just demonstrated that you are barely capable of writing proper English yet you berate me for my apparent low level of grammatical know how. I don’t know, maybe a coherent writer such as yourself just got stoned out of your mind during the 4th of July celebrations and forgot how to write.

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

Dom, remind me again of your comment on a thread a short while ago where you were complaining about “Grammar Nazis” making their presence felt in terms of some minor criticism of your own hyper-elegant style? Also, your similarly recent one about kettles calling pots black. Sic(k?)!

Happy fourth by the way. Or should that be sixth? And meanwhile “up the Yanks”… seriously, I mean it — up the Yanks!

Controversially up yours! 🙂
    Norma N Joy Conquest

Shiva
    Participant

jb: … remind me again of your comment on a thread a short while ago where you were complaining about “Grammar Nazis” making their presence felt in terms of some minor criticism of your own hyper-elegant style?

Thank you. You saved me a few minutes of wondering how to address the GG (Grammar Gestapo). I am particularly sensitive in this area, what with my habit of not proofing my posts. That way I set myself up for correction and slander, while taking the heat off of other posters. I believe I qualify for martyr-dom.

dom
    Participant

Dom, remind me again of your comment on a thread a short

Get a life. He said I was incoherent. He was incoherent. I corrected him. By the way are you a tabloid journalist?

Tiger
    Participant

looks like the COLour of a Bog-trotter
    posing as a Pom Pommy
    on their way to the free speech zone
    without a permit

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.