Home Forums Aleister Crowley People The man behind Amado Crowley

Viewing 10 posts - 421 through 430 (of 430 total)
  • Author

laethe
    Participant

@barbaragreen

Thank you.

henrypearce
    Participant

@barbara

Maybe when the men said “sleep”, they just meant sleep in the true sense of the word, instead of the euphemistic meaning of the word. And maybe I misunderstood the parade of young men coming out of his bedroom in the mornings.

Were they marching out of his room waving banners? If they were, they most certainly weren’t rainbow. 😉 Whatever actually happened, he was working for Agape. And I believe his own self restraint was an attempt to build up manna, or power in that regard.

It would be terribly difficult to contextalise this quote of his, because it is so deeply rooted in the ethos of what he was trying to teach us and what we were studying at that particular time, but for various reasons I will never forget it: “Love is a virus. Let’s infect the world”. Do what thou wilt was governed by Love under the Will. For me, there is something in this about belief rooted in biology, incomplete until it is actually put into action, aspiring, reaching out way beyond one’s puny self toward the stars. Well … 😉

laethe
    Participant

@henrypearce

I believe his own self restraint was an attempt to build up manna, or power in that regard.

That makes sense to me. Mike’s teachings placed great emphasis on using male sexual energy for magickal purposes and I think he did believe that his own magickal energies were increased through close (but sexually restrained) physical contact with his male students (and vice versa). A kind of reciprocal tantric vampirism if you like. That’s why it was his male students who were invited to share his bed. Also, if he’d shared his bed with his female students, what would people have made of that?

Barbara is therefore right when she says that male students got more attention than the females. Mike was much less interested in, and felt less able to work with, the magickal potential of women’s sexuality. I did challenge him on this and his answer was that female students really needed a female teacher if they were to work magickally with their own sexual energies. Basically he didn’t feel qualified to do this. It was a fair point.

henrypearce
    Participant

@laethe
    Succinctly put.

Barbara Green
    Participant

@henrypearce
    @laethe

Question: Wouldn’t the sexual energy be more built up with restraint from sex with whatever sex we were attracted to? And, more specifically with someone in particular we were attracted to? Mike was obviously attracted to young men, so he would build up sexual energy for himself, but not necessarily for the young men in the commune. I remember one young man in particular who left the commune saying that he was doing so because Mike wanted a relationship with him that he couldn’t give. Maybe that was a sexual relationship? And maybe that is why Mike seemed to discourage sexual relationships between commune members, because he felt that they were wasting their sexual energy? I don’t know about any of this, I’m just asking.

Barbara

laethe
    Participant

@barbaragreen

In my opinion, Mike had some odd ideas about sex and magick. A lot of sexual tantra can be pretty weird too. I was never comfortable with Mike’s focus on male sexuality, which became emphasised even more in his later work. That was a major reason I walked away.

Assuming you are right, Mike wouldn’t be the first teacher, or the last, to develop a system of theory and practice that reflects and supports his or her personal sexual preferences and peccadillos.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by  laethe.

henrypearce
    Participant

@barbara
    It’s interesting that we three span different time frames of Amado’s communes. You say, all the members were young and hmm…hmm, sort of ‘chaste’. By my time, most were matching up and starting families. Laethe has provided a coherence between your time and mine.

Leathe has already mentioned the ‘Tantric’ side of the teachings. Yes, a man could build up power with his chosen partner and that may very well be one of the goals. But if you are in love with someone without having worked on your technique beforehand then it would be harder to hold back and not lose all your power at once. Apart from which, how might your love take it if you wanted to withhold immediate consummation in order to build up intensity later? I suppose you’ve heard of the marshmallow experiment? 😉 The imbalance between a man and his favorite woman is a well known problem, don’t you agree? Do I need to get more specific?

If you had stayed in the community long enough then my guess would be things would have developed.

And then there is using that power for ecstasy, what Amado – and perhaps Aleister? – called Eroto-comatose-lucidity. And for more altruistic purposes. Sexual energy can be used for the affirmation of life in general.

Barbara Green
    Participant

@laethe
    @henrypearce

Did you ever hear anything from/about Mike’s adopted son, Angus? Edna seemed to indicate that he had fallen off them map, and I’m curious if you ever met him, especially at Mike’s death?

Also, did you know boaba of this thread? And what do you think of him? His accusation of me having a demon is what brought me back to this thread.

Barbara

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Barbara Green. Reason: additional question

henrypearce
    Participant

@barbara

No siblings at the funeral, as far as I knew.

Anybody who claims to be able to diagnose either your mental health or assess possession over the internet needs a blind eye turned to.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  henrypearce.

laethe
    Participant

@barbaragreen

I met Angus once, in 1972. Some time later, Mike told me that Angus was no longer interested in pursuing the occult path. I never met him again.

I don’t know who Boaba is and, from what he has said, he knew Mike much later than I did.

Henry is quite right. No-one can, or should, diagnose another person in this way. Ignore it. In any case, such an accusation tells you much more about the accuser than the accused.

Viewing 10 posts - 421 through 430 (of 430 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.