Home Forums Thelema Magick The Obeah and the Wanga are for all.

• This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Shiva 3 months ago.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

dom
    Participant

Let me know what you think here. Here and there I’ve come across some black folk who claim that white folk don’t have the right to get involved with and to and practice Voodoo. They say that it’s fake appropriation or the like because Voodoo deals with ancestral connections. My initial instinct is to say that this is total nonsense because any god of any race/pantheon can slot into the Cabbalistic classification system of sephirah and just represents some force. We’re all human we all face the same obstacles and we could all do with some force to assist us sometime. Forces which are universal and transcendental, non-human, classless and raceless.. The gods of any pantheon and their names and images represent those exact same such universal forces.

There’s no reason imo why a Chinaman should not use Nordic runes or a Dane should use the I Ching. Likewise with white folk and voodoo. I argued this recently but one guy said yeah but white folk can practice their own version of Voodoo which is called Hoodoo but Voodoo won’t work for them.. . .

from the wiki;

Obeah is a folk religion and folk magic found among those of African descent in the West Indies. It is derived from West African Igbo sources and has a close North American parallel in African American conjure or hoodoo.
    A wanga (sometimes spelled oanga or wanger) is a magical charm packet found in the folk magic practices of Haiti, and as such it is connected to the West African religion of Vodun, which in turn derives from the Fon people of what is now Benin.
    In his Commentaries, Crowley explains:
    The obeah is the magick of the Secret Light with special reference to acts; the wanga is the verbal or mental correspondence of the same. […] The “obeah” being the acts, and the “wanga” the words, proper to Magick, the two cover the whole world of external expression.
    It is possible that Crowley was not referring to literal Jamaica Obeah practices or to actual wanga.
    He goes on to say:
    Magick is the management of all we say and do, so that the effect is to change that part of our environment which dissatisfies us, until it does so no longer. We “remould it nearer to the heart’s desire.”
    Magick ceremonies proper are merely organized and concentrated attempts to impose our Will on certain parts of the Cosmos. They are only particular cases of the general law.

• This topic was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  dom.

dom
    Participant

Edit

black folk who claim that white folk don’t have the right to practice Voodoo. They say that it’s appropriation or the like .

Tiger
    Participant

Well
    the black folk
    the chinaman
    the israelite
    the teuton
    etc
    that won’t let anyone use their magic
    are stuck with themselves
    and otherworldly influences will be of no consequence to them .

Heredity can be a nice thing so they are right
    but not as a trap
    so you are right too .

The idea is to make it work !

There was a debate between the vajrayana and zen groups
    the vajrayana claim they won the debate the zen claim they won by just doing .

just my two puffs and a spittle .

Tiger
    Participant

@dom
    The Obi Wan
    There
    him don’t know .
    Him can gwan with dat ting .
    Blood clot !

The Loa choose whom they choose
    and the one him talking too
    might possibly be there to convey the message

that the Loa ride whom they choose !

Most cultures not only don’t know their religion
    they don’t even know their own culture
    they busy going to the mall and trying be like tv culture
    and trying to work dat magic .

Shiva
    Participant

D: black folk who claim that white folk don’t have the right to practice Voodoo.

Oh this is just another form of proprietary hopefulness.

If they don’t like it, they (like the modern Oriental Templars) can resort to litigation.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.