Thelema, Aleister Crowley & Kundalini:

Home Forums Thelema Thelema Thelema, Aleister Crowley & Kundalini:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

wellreadwellbred
    Participant

Thelema, Aleister Crowley & Kundalini:

Presentation titled Arousing the Coiled Splendor: Kundalini Yoga and Thelemic Magick, delivered during NOTOCON VIII (= eight biennial National OTO Conference), August 5-7, 2011, Detroit, Michigan, by one ‘Frater Phoenix’ as presenter:

“This workshop will explore the role of Kundalini Yoga in Thelemic Magick by surveying the relevant writings of Crowley, Grant, as well as the teachings of Yogi Bhajan. Yogi Bhajans’s system of Kundalini Yoga was studied by both Grady McMurtry and Phyllis Seckler, and exploring its teachings is highly relevant to Thelemic Magick and Mysticism. To that end, Frater Phoenix will provide historical as well as practical understanding of the integral relationship between Kundalini Yoga and the Great Work as seen within the cannons of Thelemic Praxis. The class will consist largely of discussion, and PowerPoint presentations with some basic pranayama and kriya yoga techniques from Kundalini Yoga will be shared to make the teachings real and embodied for practitioners. Not tyled.” (Source: NOTOCON VIII Manifest Thy Glory – – – http://notocon.org/past/notocon/viii/presentation.html#arousing-the-coiled-splendor)

(I guess that the words “Not tyled.” are the to document that this workskop does not contain “ritual” or “tyled” information, which have occurred behind “Tyled doors”. (Source: [RONR Message Board – Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised] Tyled doors By Guest Jayson Campeau, November 5, 2010 in General Discussion – – – https://robertsrules.forumflash.com/topic/8711-tyled-doors/))

In what source material does Aleister Crowley directly using the word Kundalini, write about kundalini?

And in what source material does Kenneth Grant directly using the word Kundalini, write about kundalini?

And did Grady McMurtry or Phyllis Seckler, produce source material where Kundalini is mentioned directly?

ignant666
    Participant

I think “not tyled” pretty obviously means “open to non-(c)OTO members”.

To “tyle the lodge” in Freemasonry is to ensure there are no cowans (non-initiates) present and to bar the entry of any cowan.

I don’t recall AC ever mentioning kundalini per se, but from what i know of kundalini yoga, the parallels with/applicability to AC’s work are obvious. The workshop you cite looks like an example of folks within the (c)OTO adapting subsequent work to Thelemic practice, not making claims that AC discussed this.

Shiva
    Participant

WR: And did Grady McMurtry or Phyllis Seckler, produce source material where Kundalini is mentioned directly?

Maybe … maybe not. But Frater Shiva (yours truly) mentioned it in a video entitled, “Kundalini Rumble,” which you can verify, view, or villify at:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq7DHKyQcVQ

My records indicate that this experience, which was the result of a “direct transmission,” took place in January, 1971 e.v., at the Ensenada Lodge down in sunny Baja California de Mexico.

It was one of those “critical experiences” (crises) that marks a turning point. After the Kundalini Rumbled, my separation from Solar Lodge began. That separation took about 1.5 annums, so it was a long, drawn-out process.

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

@wellreadwellbred

I guess that the words “Not tyled.” are the to document that this workskop does not contain “ritual” or “tyled” information, which have occurred behind “Tyled doors”.
    In other words, “No secrets to be found here, Joe Public!”
    (And… hush, hush, whisper who dares, lower-degree OTO brethren… there’s no good looking for some “behind IXth degree Tyled doors”, ’cause there’s none there either!)

In what source material does Aleister Crowley directly using the word Kundalini, write about kundalini?
    One example for you is in the Old Comment to Liber AL I: 57.

And in what source material does Kenneth Grant directly using the word Kundalini, write about kundalini?
    You may care to check out the thread I originated entitled “Kenneth Grant and Kundalini” well — sorry that I don’t know how to link directly to it, but you’ll currently find it about halfway down the first page on the KG board — in which I raise what I consider is a particularly pertinent issue. You may even care to respond to it there as well (well, no one else has yet)…

and I’m still rather curious to know the answer,
    Norma N Joy Conquest

wellreadwellbred
    Participant

Thanks for pointing out your thread entitled “Kenneth Grant and Kundalini”.

And here is another example of source material where Aleister Crowley directly using the word Kundalini, writes about kundalini:

“In his book Magick: Book 4, Aleister Crowley referred to the chakras as “Lotuses.” In the chapter called “The Cup”, Crowley describes the seven central chakras:

There is the lotus of three petals in the Sacrum, in which the Kundalini lies asleep. This lotus is the receptacle of reproductive force. […] The two-petalled lotus of the pineal gland receives the nourishment needed by thought, while above the junction of the cranial structures is that sublime lotus, of a thousand and one petals, which receives the influence from on high; and in which, in the Adept, the awakened Kundalini takes her pleasure with the Lord of All.

These Lotuses are all situated in the spinal column, which has three channels, Sushumna in the middle, Ida and Pingala on either side (“cf.” the Tree of Life). The central channel is compressed at the base by Kundalini, the magical power, a sleeping serpent. Awake her: she darts up the spine, and the Prana flows through the Sushumna.” (Source: Chakra From Thelemapedia – – – http://www.thelemapedia.org/index.php/Chakras)

wellreadwellbred
    Participant

“The current New Age obsession with the Third Eye and the Pineal Gland can […] be traced directly back to its original presentation in the writings of HPB.” (Source: Theosophy The Third Eye and The Pineal Gland – – – https://blavatskytheosophy.com/the-third-eye-and-the-pineal-gland/)

Crowley in his Magick: Book 4 connecting the pineal gland with the awakened Kundalini, was predated and inspired by Helena Petrovna Blavatsky describing “the third eye opens” “the whole universe is seen”, as corresponding with the “Pineal Gland when touched by Kundalini”. (Source: Blavatsky Collected Writings Volume 12, compiled by Boris de Zirkoff – – – http://www.katinkahesselink.net/blavatsky/articles/v12/y1890_059.htm)

The Vision and the Voice (Liber 418), was the second most important book after The Book of the Law (Liber 220), according to Aleister Crowley. The first paragraph of The Cry of the 2nd Aethyr within that book, ends with the following words:

“… there is a legend of Eve and the Serpent, for Cain was the the child of Eve and the Serpent, and not of Eve and Adam; and therefore when he had slain his brother, who was the first murderer, having sacrificed living things to his demon, had Cain the mark upon his brow, which is the mark of the Beast spoken of in the Apocalypse, and is the sign of initiation2.”

Words to which Crowley has added the following endnote:

“2.This is the “Third Eye”, the “Eye of Shiva”, the Pineal Gland, supposed by some anatomists to be a rudimentary eye.”

Tiger
    Participant

Spark up !

“ The Khamsin began it’s searing onslaught
    in Cairo

a rush of mephitic air unsealed from the depths

scattered in panic and terror the fashionable society

The lattices open the voluptuous languor

the languor of sexual allurement caused by the magnetic gaze
    and passes
    may rouse the body to a pitch of rapture
    that stimulates the FIRE SNAKE
    the visible form of Maat ( Truth )

The snout back-curling – fangs – blood red sun Set
    setting in a bed of mauve flowers stained with Grecian green .

the number 9 signifies AVB, ‘witchcraft, the false moon of the sorceress’ and ‘the special ‘fire’ of black magic’ . Ob, Obi, Obeah derive from the same root and are connected with the ventriloquent pythoness. The python is a metathesis of Typhon, the Kamite Apep-Serpent ( Greek Apophis ) which gives its name to the Ophidian Current . The Oracle is the number of GLH, ‘manifestation’, via the primal mode of revealing the ‘visible word’ . The expression “mauve flowers” hints at alas at alas of the Mauve Zone combined with verdigris, suggesting an alchemical process or the presence of a metallic image – “Grecian” suggests Pan – adorning a temple of initiation in the Mauve Zone . “

notes from The Ninth Arch by Kenneth Grant pgs 62,63

not tyled

thought you were wellread
    fortify the armament with Grant books

Arthur Avalon probably before HPV ( who passed before AC )and AC
    check out also Lataif-e-sitta

thats what i got.

Tiger
    Participant

correction
    Sir Arthur Avalon (John George Woodroffe )
    “Woodroffe’s The Serpent Power – The Secrets of Tantric and Shaktic Yoga, is a source for many modern Western adaptations of Kundalini yoga practice. ”
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Woodroffe
    1919 book came out

wellreadwellbred
    Participant

[Part of the original text quoted, has beeen made bold by me:]

Tobias Churton does on page 77 and 78 in his book Aleister Crowley: The Biography: Spiritual Revolutionary, Romantic Explorer, Occult Master and Spy (paperback edition published May 20, 2014), quote Aleister Crowley describing how he on 2 October 1901 in Sri Lanka, had a breakthrough. Due to withdrawing his consciousness from the hills about him and centring it on the ‘Cakkra Ajna[sic] (the pineal gland chakra) – with pranayama (breathing discipline) ‘at intervals – repeateing his mantra Aum Tat Sat Aum hour after hour. Churton writes that Crowley satisfied With what he had seen through the trance of dhyana, “would wait for two years before resuming magical and mystical practices.”

The words ‘Put on the wings, and arouse the coiled splendour within you: come unto me!’, used within Crowley’s The Book of the Law (AL I:61), might refer “to the Ajna Chakra or Third Eye, usually depicted with two petals and looking essentially identical to the winged globe of Hadit [depicted on one Stele of Ankh-ef-en-Khonsu, made famous by AC].” (Source: Aunauthorized comment on The Book of the Law The Alkhemion Working Part One – – – http://www.horusmaatlodge.com/silverstar2/SILVERSTAR1-PG31.html)

Kundalini is within Indian interpretations described as a sleeping, dormant potential force in the human organism, and as being coiled up at the base of the spine. (Source: Kundalini From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia – – – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kundalini)

The ‘coiled splendour within you’ mentioned within Crowley’s The Book of the Law (AL I:61), appears to be a reference to the kundalini.

This indicates that Aleister Crowley was familiar with the Eastern concept of Kundalini when he authored The Book of the Law.

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

@wellreadwellbred

This indicates that Aleister Crowley was familiar with the Eastern concept of Kundalini when he authored The Book of the Law

Just to be clear here – you’re stating that Aleister Crowley authored (as in composed, put together) The Book of the Law? In other words, it had nothing at all to do with Aiwass, and that that so-called praeterhuman intelligence doesn’t get a look-in? This being so, just when and over what period of time do you consider it would have been authored by him, and with what evidence?

N Joy

wellreadwellbred
    Participant

Jamie J Barter: “… when and over what period of time do you consider it would have been authored by him, and with what evidence?”

Between AC becoming acquainted with the concept of Kundalini (likely during visiting Sri Lanka and India in 1901), as ‘Put on the wings, and arouse the coiled splendour within you: come unto me!’, within Crowley’s The Book of the Law (AL I:61), appears to be a reference to activating the kundalini.

And before AC experiencing Samadhi, as he appears to have not yet had an experienc of Samadhi when The Book of the Law was written, as expressed in his ‘The Old Comment’ (1912) to AL I:26, “The prophet demanding a sign of his mission, it is promised; a Samadhi upon the Infinite. This promise was later fulfilled—see “The Temple of Solomon the King,” which proposes to deal with the matter in its due season.” (Aleister Crowley’s ‘The Temple of Solomon the King’, is a part of his The Equinox 1: 7, published 1912.)

Michael Staley
    Participant

@wellreadwellbred

Jamie J Barter: “… when and over what period of time do you consider it would have been authored by him, and with what evidence?”

The two paragraphs you have written in response to Jamie’s question in no way answer it. You surely cannot be suggesting that because Crowley had become acquainted with the “concept” of Kundalini several years before 1904, therefore the verse from The Book of the Law which you quote must have been his handiwork.

Again, I cannot see why Crowley’s having experienced samadhi several years after the reception of The Book of the Law is evidence that Crowley authored the book.

wellreadwellbred
    Participant

Jamie J Barter: “Just to be clear here – you’re stating that Aleister Crowley authored (as in composed, put together) The Book of the Law? In other words, it had nothing at all to do with Aiwass, and that that so-called praeterhuman intelligence doesn’t get a look-in?”

Not necessarily, if you follow this advise provided by Crowley’s within Chapter VIII Of Equilibrium: and of the General and Particular Method of Preparation of the Furniture of the Temple and the Instruments of Art., in Magick in theory and practice, part three of his Book 4 published in 1929 (source: https://www.sacred-texts.com/oto/aba/chap8.htm):

“… the essence of […] being a Magician is […] intuitive apprehension of the fundamental principles of the Universe. [Your] instinct is a subconscious assertion of the structural identity of the Macrocosm and the Microcosm. Equilibrium is the condition of manifested existence. […] For this reason […] [let the Magician] correct each idea by implying the contradictory contained therein. […] In this way let every idea go forth as a triangle on the base of two opposites, making an apex transcending their contradiction in a higher harmony.

It is not safe to use any thought in Magick, unless that thought has been thus equilibrated and destroyed.”

With respect to the said advise, you can both have Aiwass, the praeterhuman intelligence, and Aiwass as a clever worldplay authored by Aleister Crowley:

“… Crowley’s Book of the Law is certainly a negation of the events depicted in the Bible, chiefly concerning the Book of Exodus but also plagiarising the language of others passages throughout the Good Book. Crowley refers to himself as ‘The Great Beast 666’, ominously/portentously assuming the role of the Apocalyptic character known as the ‘Beast’, described in the Book of Revelations. The name of the book itself is a direct rip off from the Petentateuch; ‘The first five books of the Bible are sometimes called the Pentateuch which means “five books.” They are also known as the books of the law’ […] Crowley ‘received’ his book from the gods of Egypt, whereas in the Holy Bible, God said; ‘I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. You shall have no other gods before me.’ ‘Then Moses asked God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites & say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ & they ask me, ‘What is His name?’ What should I tell them?” God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites:
    ‘I AM has sent me to you.’
    ……..So in Moses case it’s I am, & in Crowley’s it’s I was, OK.”
    (Source: Vinny’s Blogbook Book of the Law (Crowley) 9/10/2018 – – – https://www.vinnysblogbookcom.com/vinnys-blogbook/book-of-the-law-crowley)

And with respect to the said advise from Crowley, you can also have that which is beyond Aiwass, the praeterhuman intelligence, and Aiwass as a clever worldplay authored by Aleister Crowley.

Michael Staley
    Participant

@wellreadwellbred

So you have no evidence then, just speculation?

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

@wellreadwellbread :

With respect to the said advise, you can both have Aiwass, the praeterhuman intelligence, and Aiwass as a clever worldplay authored by Aleister Crowley
    Does this mean you are trying to have your cake as well as eat it? Please explain how. Also, to echo Michael, and maybe myself again, where is your (scientific) evidence to back up your supposition(s)? And where is it that you part company say with RT Cole’s hypothesis expressed in his Liber Bogus? Do you agree AL was authored (as in, carefully composed at leisure from his comfortable armchair at Boleskine House) sometime between 1902 (following his first trip to Egypt and after his breach with Mathers) and 1907 (when the first mooted publication of AL appeared as an Appendix to his Collected Works), or can you narrow this timeline down further?

Also, if A.C. composed the text himself, why do you think he effectively bound his own hands by putting in the stipulation about not being able to change as much as a word of anything in it if he later thought of something better to say during the next 43 years (and for which his later “Tunis” Comment stands in as rather a poor second-rate substitution)?

N Joy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.