Home Forums Thelema Magick Varajasana

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 149 total)
  • Author

dom
    Participant

For white males only as women and non whites apparently have different bone structures?

Anyone here have very long term experience with regular varajasana?

How are you doing? Any nerve damage etc?

Cheers.

• This topic was modified 3 weeks ago by  dom.

ignant666
    Participant

Where have you gotten the idea that vajrasana, aka (at least in david-World) “varajasana”, is “[f]or white males only as women and non whites apparently have different bone structures”? Also, have you ever considered proofreading your posts?

What does “non-white” mean? What are “white” people? Are folks from India “white”? Are these biological, or sociological/historical, classifications? Most American “black people” have considerable “white” ancestry due to centuries of rape during slavery and Jim Crow days- what “bone structure” would you imagine they have?

Women almost certainly make up the large majority of Yoga practitioners (and teachers) in the rich countries. When i did searches to try to find out where you had gotten this idea, searches for “vajrasana AND women” produced many hits of folks trying to sell stock photos of women in this asana, appearing un-prevented by their “different bone structures”.

Perhaps this post, and the thoughts behind it, is another example of the impulse that caused you to recently post about the pseudo-Thelemite Nazi buffoon “Sol Invictus”, and the equally despicable Boyd “Only humorless liberals fail to see how clever & artistic i am in my coy use of Nazi/Fascist imagery & concepts” Rice.

You truly achieve a new level of inanity in this offensive, racist, and misogynistic post.

Shiva
    Participant

[quote from Dom]:

Who cares?

Just get on with your work.

[end Dom quote]

Neti, neti

Michael Staley
    Participant

@dom

I used Vajrasana as a posture for meditation and pranayama for several years in the 1980s. No damage then, and none that that has manifested to date.

Shiva
    Participant

I used Vajrasana as a posture for relaxation any time I found myself just standing around with no chair or bench available for several decades in the 1960 – 2017 timeframe. No damage then, and none that that has manifested to date.

Tiger
    Participant

I have found that both the Dragon posture and God form posture help me cultivate awareness, relaxation and concentration.

I find The Dragon posture is more physical and martial. I use pillows to give my ankles a break .
    There are stool chairs one can buy.
    http://bestmeditationchairs.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/how-to-sit-on-a-meditation-bench-254×300.jpg

dom
    Participant

@ignant666

Ignant I was just going to ignore this latest confrontational flying-off-the-handle post of yours and let you slowly realize that you’ve misrepresented me.

Where have you gotten the idea that vajrasana, aka (at least in david-World) “varajasana”, is “[f]or white males only as women and non whites apparently have different bone structures”? Also, have you ever considered proofreading your posts?

The point is my local female yoga teacher suggested that white men cannot do certain asanas properly whereas white women and Asians can due to the difference in hip joints. Not white men can’t jump so much as white men can’t do yoga. I as a white male was therefore asking other white males for their advice on vajrasana.

Y’see? You actually read what you wanted to but y’know i’m not vindictive so we can move on from your error.

I hope my local yoga teacher was talking bullshit. I tried the lotus posture many times and I just couldn’t do it and I phoned her for advice.

Perhaps this post, and the thoughts behind it, is another example of the impulse that caused you to recently post about the pseudo-Thelemite Nazi buffoon “Sol Invictus”, and the equally despicable Boyd “Only humorless liberals fail to see how clever & artistic i am in my coy use of Nazi/Fascist imagery & concepts” Rice.
    You truly achieve a new level of inanity in this offensive, racist, and misogynistic post.

Rice and the other guy, that’s another thread eh?

@tiger

yes a lot of zen practitioners use wooden supports, thanks. By the way I use a rubbery yoga mat only.

@shiva and @michaelstaley who are white males I presume?

Thankyou, appreciate that information.

What about “pins and needles” sensation in the feet and ankles area following varjasana? I hear that this is a bad sign, what do you think? If you ever experienced that did you shake your ankles vigorously afterwards?

Cheers.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by  dom.

ignant666
    Participant

david: I now understand, after you have explained at length, that you meant your question was intended for “white males only”.

The thing is, you asked “Varjasana: For white males only as women and non whites apparently have different bone structures?”, not what you intended to ask. You should consider learning to write more clearly, in addition to proofreading, if you don’t want to be misunderstood.

Your yoga teacher sounds like she doesn’t know what she is talking about. You both appear to imagine there are such things as “white people” in some way that is relevant to your question.

It is a simple fact of biostatistics that there is more variation within any definable racial/ethnic group that there is between any groups. The assumptions behind your question reveal your ignorance yet again.

It is certainly true that it was in “another thread”, or actually two other threads, that you fanboy-ed on two Nazis.

I am afraid i have no recent input for you, despite being pale and blue-eyed and having a cis-penis.
    My right knee is much too damaged from soccer/football, slam-dancing and fighting, and getting hit by cars when i was a bicycle messenger, to do vajrasana. When i was young, foolish, and busy damaging my body, it was no problem whatever.

My understanding is that this posture can cause problems:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoga_foot_drop

Tiger
    Participant

“What about “pins and needles” sensation in the feet and ankles area following varjasana? I hear that this is a bad sign, what do you think? If you ever experienced that did you shake your ankles vigorously afterwards?”

I have experienced two different types of pins and needles .
    The type where i know i can sit through and the other type which i know i can’t and it’s hard to stand up after .
    But I don’t sit for longer than an hour .

Shiva
    Participant

In terms of “different hip structure” (acually, it’s probably different hip bone alignment), it should be noted that there is a great variation among white males, and all other types/colors/genders. For example, almost all white males can perform a proper side-thrust kick in martial arts, as well as a roundhouse kick. I cannot. My hip joints are aligned in such a manner that the “relatively un-natural abduction” just won’t fit. On the other foot, I was always able to do a front snap-kick that would focus over my head and could break a board that was held up there at 6’4″. Many side-kicking Japanese could not attain this height.

This has proven to be a blessing. Over the years, certain injuries led to any side-kick attempts causing me severe pain, with the gradual buildup of scar tissue, and now I do NO side kicks and can only do the front version at the level of one’s solar plexus. This is a blessing? Oh, yeah. Those other, more nimble, more flexible dudes (Nipponese as well as various shades of Caucasia), have a VERY high incidence of hip-replacement surgery.

Like all things, there may indeed be a racial/gender factor, but when it comes to any individual, the outcome is variable. That is, don’t judge a hip joint by skin color, but only by observed, applied cause & effect..

Tiger
    Participant

Gun salute to ta Shiva

flexable

I know Nippiness that sit to eat and study in the Dragn Posture that don’t do Zen.

Thats just the way they sit and perhaps indonesians as well.

christibrany
    Participant

I had to stop doing Dragon asana because it hurt my knees too much. I also have a severe lack of cartilege in my left knee due to skateboarding and too much jumping, so the posture really hurt.

Now I just do God asana, or lotus/half-lotus asana which both are fine since there is far less pressure on the joints.

Oh and I am a white male, but not sure that really matters when it comes to asanas, as many people have noted the important thing is all joints are different based on use and age, regardless of who you are.

Shiva
    Participant

CS: ... too much jumping … I am a white male.

Impossible. It is well known that white men can’t jump.

Tiger
    Participant

Make the best with what you got.

Understand your limits .

Don’t take your strengths for granted .

dom
    Participant

The amazing thing about Vajrasana is the way it seems to be almost impossible to become sleepy as the asana compels the back to be straight as one’s ass slowly falls into place onto the heels.

@ignant666

My understanding is that this posture can cause problems:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoga_foot_drop

Foot drop potentially has many causes. Why blame vajrasana?

However maybe it’s a yoga related problem for some white people? I’m not telling you i’m asking you. Think about it some white people have only really been trying such asanas since the trends for Oriental spirituality took off in the late Victorian period. If this vajrasana foot-drop thing really was a problem for Hindus etc they surely would’ve cottoned onto it within the past 4000 years or whatever which is probably how long they’ve been experimenting with asanas. They would’ve discarded it.

There’s a problem with evidence here. We don’t have any proper studies and as Crowley said there’s more bullshit talked about yoga than any other subject. Of course the problem with Crowley’s yoga is it’s tenet of “no pain no gain” and physical pain is supposed to be an indication that something isn’t right. Besides, professional soldiers fight and don’t play and I guess some gain war-wounds wouldn’t you say?

@tiger

I have experienced two different types of pins and needles .
    The type where i know i can sit through and the other type which i know i can’t and it’s hard to stand up after .
    But I don’t sit for longer than an hour

Apparently pins and needles are a bad sign in terms of the functioning of the nerves. Didn’t Crolwey write about that? I don’t recall the reference.

@christibrany
    I had to stop doing Dragon asana because it hurt my knees too much. I also have a severe lack of cartilege in my left knee due to skateboarding and too much jumping, so the posture really hurt.
    Now I just do God asana, or lotus/half-lotus asana which both are fine since there is far less pressure on the joints.

so you used to try vajrasana?

What sort of chair do you sit in for God asana?

I disagree I think half lotus is pretty harsh also. For me it really fucked my lower back area but I think I may’ve been tilting forward. I should’ve practiced it in front of a big mirror.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  dom.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 149 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.