Home Forums Community For Sale and Wanted Wanted: Goetia 1904 edition and Thelema 1909 edition

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

particle
    Participant

Looking for the 1904 edition of the Goetia and the 1909 edition of Thelema.

the_real_simon_iff
    Participant

Well, who doesn’t?

Sorry…

Shiva
    Participant

None of those here. Sorry …

christibrany
    Participant

Whenever I want to find rare/used books I always search addall. used.addall.com Drat my secret is out.

Also a good old fashioned webcrawling style web search of page by page by page is never a bad use of due dilligence…

I found a copy of Magical and Philosophical Commentaries on the Book of the Law which is worth like $600ish now for only about $200 that way maybe 8 years ago.

Lastly, always check Weister Antiquarians catalogues every month, they have Crowley first editions and monographs etc…

particle
    Participant

Do what thy Mother tells you shall be the whole of the Law!
    Do that and no other shall say nay.

I’ve found out about that search engine recently..

Think someone should republish Magical and Philosophical Commentaries, the only Book of the Law commentary edition as far as I know that included the Djeridensis Comment, of which there was a nice pdf edition available at the Eidolons of Ash pages of Hermetic.com some time ago, however I can’t stand the image on the inside covers of what I believe is a Peacock peeping up Crowley’s bum for something I do not know what. I think Breeze should have included both the old and the new commentary, and also the Djeridensis Comment in the Weiser edition of the Law is for All, though I think McMurtry, Breeze and the Caliphate made a decent effort (re)publishing nice editions of many of Crowley’s works, just a bit annoying Weiser do not reprint titles like The Holy Books of Thelema, The Vision and The Voice and the two volume edition of the Equinox I.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  particle.

christibrany
    Participant

A lot of this forum has been whinging about the (c)OTO publishing for awhile now. I think they are taking their time because it’s going to be a big, beautiful, set of bricks. Trust me, you will never have seen such a set of brick-like, thick, annotated books…when they come out…one day. When I am too far sighted or dead to read anything.

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

@christibrany :

A lot of the forum has been whinging about the ©OTO publishing for a while now.
    ‘Whinging’? Rightful observation, comment & complaint, I would say. If people don’t speak up they can’t then complain when things are the way they are afterwards — concerns about climate change or unilaterally changing ‘fill’ to ‘kill’, for example (notice I leave aside the f’rinstance of the rise of the Third Reich). Your use of the emotive verb whinge suggests you might even have some vested interest (altho’ I don’t think you’re an active member Chris), or are at least empathetic & feel sorry towards them for some unknown reason when they don’t deserve it at all.

I think they are taking their time because it’s going to be a big, beautiful set of bricks.
    Well, there’s taking time and there’s taking time and there’s taking even more time. And, there’s also taking the piss regarding people’s patience. Of course once can make a certain amount of allowance for the delayed production of excellence (and especially if we’re also kept informed with regular accurate updates), but they -–- or essentially Bill Breeze — have been promising the Collected Diaries and the unexpurgated Confessions for about three decades now. Even Book Four took less than ten years to bring out, at most — and that was with producing all the other stuff that went with it as well (stuff which has disgracefully now mostly been allowed to go out of print).

Trust me, you will never have seen such a set of brick-like thick, annotated books…when they come out… one day.
    This may or may not be the case. For me, the bumper size Book Four is spoiled by the obviously apparent hubris which permeates it with an atmosphere redolent of “look how clever I’ve been”. I prefer to think of them not as bricks so much as breezeblocks, which are like bricks except even more massive, unwieldy & physically unappetising. Not only that, the usage reflects the fact that ©OTO Big Brother Bill Breeze is only able to publish them (or dog in a mangerishly choose NOT to publish them) because he has ‘blocked’ all other publishers from remotely having an opportunity to do so without lawyers breathing down their neck.
    I’m not sure that I particularly want great thick annotated versions of Crowley books, especially when their main intention is not to be helpful but to show off the editor’s erudition instead. (Though some of the prodigious footnotes are simplistic or just unnecessary, and cherry-picked when useful translations of obscure phrases or references, or pertinent analysis of Crowley’s thought (‘what he meant’) is lacking.) Which is another reason –– the main reason, I have concluded — why they are taking so long to come out: it’s because Breeze appears to be some inveterate glory-hog who wants to garner all the credit & praise unto himself instead of farming the work out to other experts in the field (eg Kaczynski, Starr, Churton & all their ilk) to get it all done & brought out quicker.
    But if he simply has got to do it all himself he could at least take a leaf out of Michael’s (Starfire Publishing)’s book (pun not intended but it fits) who by himself and during the same timeframe has managed to publish all of Kenneth Grant’s Trilogies, is working through all the good unpublished stuff and is well on target to keeping all of what has been published permanently in print.

When I am too far-sighted or dead to read anything.
    That is the most accurate thing you have said so far, Chris. The clock is indeed ticking down for all of us. However I dread to say I’m not sure whether Breeze wouldn’t rather have us all die off than produce anything apart from his total grand vision of welding the Confessions to the Diaries and vice versa. Trying to burrow his way back out of the rabbit hole of complication he has dug for himself, he might even die himself before he’s able to finish that.

Going back to the OT, does anyone know what the print runs were of these 1904 and 1909 books? Wasn’t Thelema the one on the altar in the famous photograph and later passed on to Windram — in other words the only copy?

Norma N Joy Conquest

chuck
    Participant

GOETIA (S.P.R.T.,Foyers.1904) was issued in an edition of 11 copies on vellum and 200 on machine made paper.

THELEMA (Chiswick Press,London.1909/1910) was issued as 3 small books and also with volumes 1, 2, and 3 bound together. Printed on Jap vellum and bound in vellum. According to Yorke 5 were printed on real vellum and bound in leather. 3 are known and one of these is what the cOTO recently acquired. Sets of unbound sheets survived and circulated. Sometimes these were bound later in custom bindings. Sometimes these were incomplete.I have no idea how many total were printed or bound.

chuck
    Participant

(Sorry for double post – too late to edit)

GOETIA (S.P.R.T.,Foyers.1904) was issued in an edition of 1 copy on real vellum, 10 copies on Jap vellum and 200 on machine made paper.

THELEMA (Chiswick Press,London.1909/1910) was issued as 3 small books and then also with volumes 1, 2, and 3 bound together. Printed on Jap vellum and bound in vellum. According to Yorke 5 were printed on real vellum and bound in different colored leathers. 3 are known and one of these is what the (c)OTO recently acquired. Sets of unbound sheets survived and circulated. Sometimes these were bound later in custom bindings. Sometimes these were incomplete. I have no idea how many total were printed or bound.

This info contained in the excellent “A.C. Desk Reference” by J. Edward Cornelius

jeffpaul
    Participant

I have just acquired one of the original 1904 Goetia on Japanese vellum 11 printed it dose not have outer cover all pages complete and in nice shape should I have it rebound or leave as is ? thank you.

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

Thanks chuck, very good of you to clarify the position. I had the idea that the ‘Windram’ copy (now passed on to the (c) O.T.O.) was one of a kind — (five isn’t many, even so!) with an edition from the print run of Thelema as a whole very unlikely to come within particle’s purview (or his pocket)…

Jeffpaul, the management accepts no responsibility blah blah blah etc but in (just) my two=penny’orth I’d recommend Goetia being bound if you can find a bookbinder who’d also be able to it in line with other similar Crowley bindings & who was economic.

N Joy

particle
    Participant

So that’s why you hesitated uploading images of the covers to the facebook group!
    I would have covers made in either pig skin or goat skin, have The Goetia letterpressed in scarlet color on the cover and perhaps on the spine also, and then have your Japanese vellum pages inserted loosely in the covers.

particle
    Participant

or toad skin, or the skin of Jamie J Barter

Shiva
    Participant

Norma N will now probably box your ears. Not that you don’t deserve it.

Tiger
    Participant

“One moonlight night, I hate to tell,
    I “accidentally” slipped and fell.
    My pitchfork went right in between
    Some cog wheels of that thresh-machine.

grease my wagon up, you mutt,
    And don’t forget to screw the nut.
    I greased his wagon all right,
    But I plumb forgot to screw the nut,”

Ta Ra Ra Boom Da Yay !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.