Home Forums Thelema Thelema What does “BABALON” have to do with “Thelema”?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 102 total)
  • Author

Tiger
    Participant

““Lo!
    I gather up every spirit that is pure and weave him into my vesture of flame.
    I lick up the lives of men,
    and their souls sparkle from mine eyes.
    I am the mighty sorceress, the lust of the spirit.”

Quote from Where ?

“the work of Crowley, Parsons, Grant and much of the exploration that followed during the 20th Century contributed to the ‘breaking of the waters’ in terms of her birth, but the definitive magical models and formulas that would enable a full flowering and manifestation of her magic is still not yet fully formulated.”

Adam’s first wife, created equal and simultaneous with him from the same earth. But he won’t acknowledge it, and demands Her submission. She finds the Word of Power deep inside Herself and flies away. She becomes first a storm goddess, and then is, quite literally, demonised. Perceptions are split…

The re-purposing and re-framing of characters from Apocalypse / Revelations has an Aeonic function, but there is also a further and deeper meaning to this. Babalon riding the Beast matches the view held by some Tantric traditions that it is the Shakti which controls and directs the Kundalini, the evolutionary and magical force in humanity.
    Apocalypse / Revelations can be seen, from this viewpoint, to be quite obviously describing the raising of Kundalini. The seven seals as the seven chakras, the three and a half days of stasis referring to the resting coiled Kundalini, the imagery of world-destruction is classically a common effect of the opening of the Third Eye (Eye of Shiva).
    Also note the seven gates in the Inanna myth… “

https://wiccanrede.org/2016/04/the-coming-forth-of-babalon/

http://historiadiscordia.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/pic-jack_parsons-marjorie_cameron.jpg

dom
    Participant

ATU Strength. Path of Teth. Woman calmly daring to grip lion’s jaw and hold it firmly hence presumably taming said lion..

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  dom.

ignant666
    Participant

Perhaps, if it is not too much trouble, you could explain what this has to do with the topic, david?

As to the OT: Central to the mystical symbolism of “Babalon” in Thelema is that the 8=3 must give all into the “golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication” (Revelations 17:4). This concept, like everything about Babalon, is based on the Christian Bible’s description of Babalon being “drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus” (17:6). The Christian Holy Graal that was the wine-cup at the Last Supper, and then is used to catch Jesus’ blood as he is crucified, becomes the Thelemic “cup of [Babalon’s] whoredom”

Babalon is a “Whore” because she “refuseth none” and “hath yielded up herself to everything that liveth”. But of course this is not at all what defines being a “whore”. Actually, a “whore” is one who “refuseth” all who have not got the money. Since AC was a frequent customer of prostitutes, we cannot put this elision down to ignorance.

In The Vision and The Voice, AC says Babalon is Nuit’s daughter (“my mother Nuit”, 15th Aethyr).

In TBOL, we learn that Babalon is the secret name of Nuit mentioned in AL 1:22 (49 “Waratah-Blossoms”, commentary). On the other hand, we learn in TBOL 11 “The Glow-Worm” that Babalon and Chaos are the “below the abyss” equivalents of Nuit and Hadit; the commentary to 49 refers to this as “the common or orthodox theogeny”, and attempts to resolve the seeming contradiction by saying “There is only one symbol, but this symbol has many names: of those names, BABALON is the holiest.” Why the “below the abyss” name of this “symbol” is the “holiest” is not made clear.

belmurru
    Participant

AC would have known that “whore” has no necessary connotation of a working prostitute. It just means a slut, a lascivious woman, or an adulteress. Skeat’s etymological dictionary, which he often referred to, already gave what is considered still today the accepted etymology. See here, page 709 –

https://archive.org/details/etymologicaldict00skeauoft/page/708

Interestingly, the spelling “hoor”, reflecting a pronounciation still to be heard in some places, is given in Skeat. Crowley can not have missed that (and all that it implies about being a whore).

belmurru
    Participant

Remember also Crowley’s argument for refuting Mudd’s argument that he and Leah should wed, so that she could be technically an adulteress (with the Beast), thus fulfilling the Book of the Law.

Crowley said that “Adultery no more implies marriage than prostitution implies commerce” (I paraphrase). I don’t know his reasoning, and have always wondered about it, but it shows that he didn’t consider a whore to be equivalent to a working girl.

EDITED –

There was a whole thread on this argument in 2014 here on LAShTAL, started by me, not surprisingly –

Was Mudd or Crowley right?

He actually wrote “whoredom”, not prostitution, so the disconnect between being a whore and being a working prostitute is even clearer. I suspect he must have studied the etymology of the word to be so categorical about it; the same thing must apply to adulterous, which is in the semantic range of whore and harlot, although calling an unmarried woman adulterous seems wrong.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  belmurru.

dom
    Participant

Belmuru is the Hoor in Ra-Hoor-Khuit the same thing?

@Ignant AC uses Babalon in his Tarot Atu for path of Teth and I’m making reference to the old school ATU of Teth. AC transformed ‘Strength’ into ‘Lust.’

ignant666
    Participant

Fair enough, belmurru, but the OED gives the meaning you mention only as definition “b”; definition “a” is “A woman who prostitutes herself for hire; a prostitute, harlot”, attested since 1100. Despite the etymology you cite, the earliest use of the looser version you propose dates from more than a hundred years later (1205).

david: Lust is Atu XI, which is Justice in the Waite deck. Strength is VIII. He has not merely changed the name and imagery of the card, but its position and number (“The Naples Arrangement”). Thus, i think it is difficult to interpret Babalon through the “Strength” card’s imagery. She has not merely tamed the Lion (which has become the biblical Beast), but is riding upon it, and controlling it with reins (that, curiously, are connected to a bit that is not in the mouth of any of the seven heads (granted that a seven-bit bridle would be a complicated thing indeed)).

As to you query as to “hoor” as a variant or archaic pronunciation of “whore” and Ra-Hoor-Khuit, i sincerely hope you are joking. One is English/Scottish, the other Egyptian; they are also separated by a couple thousand years.

ignant666
    Participant

Fair enough, belmurru, but the OED gives the meaning you mention only as definition “b”; definition “a” is “A woman who prostitutes herself for hire; a prostitute, harlot”, attested since 1100. Despite the etymology you cite, the earliest use of the looser version you propose dates from more than a hundred years later (1205).

david: Lust is Atu XI, which is Justice in the Waite deck. Strength is VIII. He has not merely changed the name and imagery of the card, but its position and number (“The Naples Arrangement”). Thus, i think it is difficult to interpret Babalon through the “Strength” card’s imagery. She has not merely tamed the Lion (which has become the biblical Beast), but is riding upon it, and controlling it with reins (that, curiously, are connected to a bit that is not in the mouth of any of the seven heads (granted that a seven-bit bridle would be a complicated thing indeed)).

As to your query as to “hoor” as a variant or archaic pronunciation of “whore” and Ra-Hoor-Khuit, i sincerely hope you are joking. One is English/Scottish, the other Egyptian; they are also separated by a couple thousand years.

My great-grandmother who said “hoor” for “whore” was born and raised in southeastern Ohio, when it was still not long from being the frontier. Her father was a river-boat pilot on the Muskingum River; his first job involved shooting at Indians from the bow of the boat.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  ignant666.

Tiger
    Participant

“610
    coupling point, place of junction
    kephera
    lioness sekhet is the vehicle of the force of leo
    lion serpent, teth glyph of the spermatozoon
    mechanism
    woman dominant, bridling and directing the insensate passions .
    the magical formula-kala is thus To Mega Therion

The name of Temphioth should be vibrated in the key of ‘E’ with a roaring, hissing explosive force behind it. This is the root vibration (bija mantra) of the female . “
    Kenneth Grant -Night side of Eden – Temphioth starting pg201

The powers of this tunnel are the ability to become one with primitive limbic instincts, to become one with our erotic sensations, the ability to live with intensity and passion. The going becomes reality as we ourselves become the path, the central essence of our own creative acts. This tunnel grants great physical vitality, with a positive personal electricity and magnetism that can be used to create, to bless, and to heal. Here also is the ability to channel potentially dangerous life energies, as do cult devotees who dance in ecstasy with venomous snakes and take their protection from harm as a sign of beatitude and grace, as well as of proper centering and at-one-ness in the moment, when (and if) they are not fatally bitten.
    Linda Falorio
    http://www.shadowtarot.net/sht19.asp

dom
    Participant

So AC decided to place Adjustment/Justice in Lamed?

Right on.

belmurru
    Participant

Dom –

So AC decided to place Adjustment/Justice in Lamed?

No, it’s complicated.

The original order of the tarot that the GD used – generally called “Tarot de Marseille” – has Fortitude or Strength at XI.
    The Cipher Manuscript of the GD used the Sefer Yetzirah Hebrew letter attributions to correspond to tarot trumps – “Atouts”, Egyptianized to “Atus”. The Sefer Yetzirah of course doesn’t mention tarot trumps, but it does assign the 22 Hebrew letters to classical elements, planets, and Zodiac signs. The Golden Dawn took this system over, with a few adjustments.

The French system of Levi et al. put Kaph at XI-Fortitude (the Fool is Shin, Aleph is Magician), but the Cipher Manuscript started with Fool as Aleph, and therefore Lamed, Sefer Yetzirah’s Libra, was Fortitude/Strength.

The iconography bothered the author of the Cipher Manuscript, since Libra/Lamed is clearly Justice, the Scales, while Fortitude shows a woman taming a lion, which should be Leo (Teth).

Thus the GD transposed Libra with Leo, Strength with Justice, XI with VIII.

This is the first “loop” of the “double loop” that convinced Crowley of the rightness of switching Tzaddi with Heh.

That is, Leo and Libra “revolve” around Virgo, and Aries (Heh) and Aquarius (Tzaddi) “revolve” around Pisces.

But in the Thoth Tarot Crowley goes back to the Tarot de Marseille order of trumps. He puts Strength-Fortitude-Lust back at XI, and Justice-Adjustment at VIII, while maintaining their Sefer Yetzirah attributions of Teth-Leo and Lamed-Libra, just as in the Golden Dawn.

dom
    Participant

Thanks belmurru.

Tiger
    Participant

Wild Loop
    heh heh

Yah ee
    got ta get it together

ha ha
    ooh ooh
    there it goes again

got to find it again
    ooh got to keep on it

ha ha
    yeah ee

Thanks Belmuru

Jamie J Barter
    Participant

N.B., Psychoactive medicines should at all times be kept securely locked away in a cupboard out of reach of those for whom it would be rather unwise to partake of them…

N Joy

ignant666
    Participant

Jamie: Your recent post made me heartily “LOL”.

Such good advice, and i am sure not directed at anyone in particular.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 102 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.