Home Forums Thelema Thelema What does “BABALON” have to do with “Thelema”?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 102 total)
  • Author

Tiger
    Participant

Awesome
    howl
    Shiva !

dom
    Participant

We know that AC was God-obsessed and God fixated.

Sex-addiction, what is that anyway? If AC was afraid of long term intimate relationships then where’s the evidence? He tried marriage but his wife became even more wacko and it failed. He had long term partners, right? Was he really on the run from long-term intimate relationships?

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  dom.

William Thirteen
    Participant

Enjoying this thread ( especially the contributions of @belmurru and @ignant666 ) and would recall Liber XXV. In the 1929 version Babalon is attributed to the West and paired with Therion as Nuit is paired with Hadit. In the 1913 version she is attributed to the North which the place of Nuit in the 1929 version. This lends support to AC’s perception of a relationship between the two. However, whether this was personal to him or to be understood as Thelemic “Theogony” is less clear.

mal
    Participant

Ignant, I asked Jim Eshelman if he had any observations about the Unicursal Hexagram with a rose in the middle having become the de facto symbol of Thelema. I opined that it must have happened in the 70s or even 80s, with that extra card in the Thoth Tarot of the time. I didn’t see it as jewelry, in silver, until ’93 or ’94, in either Cambridge MA or Greenwich Village, NYC respectively (can’t remember which was first, I bought both of them, I would guess it was Cambridge).

He responded that it was a good question, and he supposes that people saw it in either Book of Thoth or the Tarot, and it looked unique and cool and was associated exclusively with Crowley, so they adopted it and it became popular. This is “cultural ignorance”, because it actually predates Crowley and is where he got it, in a Golden Dawn 4=7 paper.

That the Tarot contributed to the popularization was my thought too which I posted on the first page. Nice to see the thought shared with good company including as ignant describes an actual genuine credentialed A.’.A.’.er. Wowzers.

@ignant666

I put the rising popularity of the unicursal hexagram down to use of it as a “secondary sign” by the (c)OTO

Where were they using it as a secondary sign?

And yes, Liber XXV. More Lies. IT does reinforce the role of Babalon in Crowley’s Thelema.
    Reminded me of the Magick Circle.

William Thirteen
    Participant

@mal oh yes, The Circle – very nice find!

belmurru
    Participant

Those are good observations.

Book of Lies
    East Chaos
    North Babalon
    West Eros
    South Psyche

Magick in Theory and Practice.
    East Therion
    North Nuit
    West Babalon
    South Hadit

The Star Ruby “matures” between circa 1912 and 1920-something. The oppositions of the latter are couplings, Beast-Babalon, Nuit-Hadit. Therion-Babalon are the earthly representatives of the cosmic pair Hadit-Nuit. They have become a gnostic syzygy.

But the earlier iteration has a different opposition or balance, Chaos-Eros, Babalon-Psyche. This is male-male female-female. It seems like Babalon and Psyche, and Chaos and Eros, are being equated, rather than paired as a couple.

Also, AC was not yet Therion in 1912. I can’t recall offhand when this name enters the stream, at least not what use it might have had before his 9=2 in 1916. Also remember that he didn’t know how to spell it to make 666 until the Samuel bar Aiwaz letter of 1918.

Another observation I’d make is that “eros” seems to be the better word for what Thelemites mean by “love”, than the hyper-Christian “agape”. I don’t know that Thelemites have the power, at least yet, to change agape to mean anything other than “charity”, “hospitality”, the kind of “love” extended to all as human beings or God’s children, if you will.

That Crowley used eros here suggests to me that he thought the same at the time, that the cosmic love of Chaos was Eros. Agape had not entered the picture, since 93 itself had not entered the pictue as a key number yet (despite the valuation of thelema, which I imagine he did, although it was an orphan until the Aiwaz letter).

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  belmurru.

Shiva
    Participant

Since we’re on the Subject, maybe you’d like to grab a screenshot of Babalon as painted unter the title, “Binah,” by my wife, code-named Kali.

Binah

Shiva
    Participant

Since we’re on the Subject, maybe you’d like to grab a screenshot of Babalon as painted under the title, “Binah,” by my wife, code-named Kali.

I have now made three attempts to link this pic and display it. As often is the case, the technology or the technician is not functioning properly. If this final-attempt post fails to perform, send me an email for your free copy. It’s pretty wild, I guarantee.

Binah

[URL=https://s259.photobucket.com/user/rwilson_photo/media/binah.jpg.html][IMG]https://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh291/rwilson_photo/binah.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Binah

That’s three different codes. I hope one of them materializes, ’cause I’m done here now!

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  Shiva.
    • This reply was modified 3 months ago by  Shiva. Reason: non-functional IMG links

Tiger
    Participant

@shiva
    Ivy’s Art is amazing !
    Will send email and hoping you got the one earlier .
    Is there a link as to where to buy her book ?

Shiva
    Participant

Tiger, psssst, the secret picture of Babalon Unveiled is coming your way … whenever I can find that durn email account. Don’t hold your breath, but breathe easy – it’ll get to you.

Yeah, that book, the one containing Binah, is one of those over-expensive editions in full color with shiny paper. Not many people realize it is a 7=4 Thesis, riding on the 4th ray of Art, Psychology, and Shamanism (not as a library research project, but based on having been there, big time, in personal experience). It can be viewed, previewed, or acquired at:
    http://www.lulu.com/shop/ivy-rivard/doorways-to-transformation/paperback/product-20733677.html

P.S. For those interested in these artistic renderings, they can also be viewed for free, online at:
    http://ivyrivardart.angelfire.com/index.html

The book contains some later works that do not appear on the website, but essentially the whole bag is online.

Tiger
    Participant

The Art is AMAZING !!!
    thanks Shiva

Q789
    Participant

Does anyone here get that very powerful feeling, a craving for knowledge, an attraction for the dark mysteries, it can be undeniable and give you a sense of desire for knowledge, a list.
    Well that, to me, is Babalon. Babylon is truth in this respect and what does thou do with our lady Babylon-truth? Dance.
    Nietszche Zarathustra helped me here.
    One must dance with our lady to reveal her mysteries, to unravel her truth, one doesn’t steal knowledge one becomes through dance or will.
    But lady truth/Babylon has a flipside. As AC said “Magick is like a jealous lover” she takes more and more as you squeeze every last drop (Love under will)
    The god Dionysus is seen with two faces represents the same principle. Truth like life has a nasty side. We learn from the pain of life- from changing ourselves to conform to will.
    Can anyone here relate?
    Love to here your experiences.

Shiva
    Participant

AC was unable to pronounce the secret name of Nuit (Old Comment) … until he at last knew her, and so (in the New Comment) her named her Babalon.

However, elsewhere (no ref available), he says he purposely spelled it Babalon so as to avoid confusion with Babylon (the Biblical, political reference to an old enemy).

So what happened here? Did he “hear” the name and decide to alter the spelling? That’s what it sounds like to me, but one never knows in these murky meanderings.

William Thirteen
    Participant

I assume this was cited elsewhere in this thread but AC writes that it was during the Scrying of the Tenth Aethyr “Dec. 6, 1909, between 2 and 4:15 p.m., in a lonely valley of fine sand, in the desert near Bou-Sada.” that “he was told by the Angel” how to spell Her name (this in the note to the Twelth Aethyr).

https://hermetic.com/crowley/the-vision-and-the-voice/aethyr10

https://hermetic.com/crowley/the-vision-and-the-voice/aethyr12

Of course, it was at the Tenth Aethyr that the Scribe and the Seer had their contretemps with Choronzon, whereupon “the Seer took the Holy Ring, and wrote the name BABALON, that is victory over Choronzon”

Might this “victory over Choronzon” then be another definition of Babalon?

belmurru
    Participant

Those are good observations. William, for “victory”, note her mention in Sepher Sephiroth (1912) under 156, where she is called “The Victorious Queen”.

For other early uses of “Babalon”, to the Star Ruby and the Book Four Part II magic circle (both 1913), I can only add Liber CLVI (summer 1911) – “Babalon… the Bride of Chaos” (among other things).

Book of Lies
    East Chaos
    North Babalon
    West Eros
    South Psyche

Magick in Theory and Practice.
    East Therion
    North Nuit
    West Babalon
    South Hadit

The same names for the quarters are given in Liber V vel Reguli (1921).

The Star Ruby “matures” between circa 1912 and 1921. The oppositions of the latter are couplings, Beast-Babalon, Nuit-Hadit. Therion-Babalon are the earthly representatives of the cosmic pair Hadit-Nuit. They have become like the Valentinian gnostic syzygies.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeon_(Gnosticism)

But the earlier iteration has a different opposition or balance, Chaos-Eros, Babalon-Psyche. This is male-male and female-female. It seems like Babalon and Psyche, and Chaos and Eros, are being equated, rather than paired as a couple.

Also, AC was not yet Therion in 1912. I can’t recall offhand when this name enters the stream, at least not what use it might have had before his 9=2 in 1916. Also remember that he didn’t know how to spell it to make 666 until the Samuel bar Aiwaz letter of February 1918.

Another observation I’d make is that “eros” seems to be the better word for what Thelemites (and Aiwass) mean by “love”, than the hyper-Christian “agape”. I don’t know that Thelemites have the power, at least yet, to change agape to mean anything other than “charity”, “hospitality”, “brotherly love,” “the love of God for man and man for God,” etc. The semantic range of agape does not include any sexual aspect.

That Crowley used eros here suggests to me that he thought the same at the time, that the cosmic love of Chaos was Eros. The term Agape had not yet entered the picture, since 93 itself had not yet entered the pictue as a key number (despite the valuation of thelema, which I imagine he did (but there is no evidence I know of), although it must have been an orphan until the Samuel bar Aiwaz letter). The only entry for 93 in the Greek Qabalah (begun 1911) is ananke, “by necessity.” Therion, “wild beast”, is there, under 247, but agape appears under 101, since the entry includes the definite article eta.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 102 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.