Home Forums Colin Wilson What is ‘Faculty X’ and how is it attained?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

dom
    Participant

Faculty X

This is a link for a good essay on the subject but I may add to it from excerpts from Wilson’s other writings.

Michael Staley
    Participant

@dom

What a find! A riveting article, which made me realise it was time to read Colin Wilson’s early books again.

dom
    Participant

Glad you like it Michael.

Michael Staley
    Participant

@dom

Out of his new existentialist “foundation work” of 1956-‘66, Wilson developed the notion of “faculty x” . . . This concept of “the reality of other times and other places” came to him in on a snowy day in Washington DC in late 1966”. . . The historian Arnold Toynbee experienced it as brief understanding of all history; the poet Robert Graves once described it as if he “knew everything” intuitively; and the playwright August Strindberg experienced it as a kind of ‘duo consciousness ’, a strange feeling of being in two places at once . . . earlier, Wilson had spoke of it as the ‘phenomenological faculty’, the ability to grasp reality . . .

Just some excerpts from the essay you highlighted. When I read this, I thought of Spare’s Kia. This is an extract (p.47) of his Book of Pleasure:

Know the subconsciousness to be an epitome of all experience and wisdom, past incarnations as men, animal, birds, vegetable life, etc., etc., everything that exists, has and ever will exist.

This is the Kia.

Usually “our”consciousness is constrained by habit-patterns, conditioning and the like to what is in effect a bubble which we think of as ourselves, and which we take as reality. Sometimes consciousness moves beyond those constraints and we become aware that there is more to us than meets the eye, so to speak.

Sorry if this makes me look like Ann Elk and her theory of the dinosaurs, but it can’t be helped.

Shiva
    Participant

Quote: Know the subconsciousness to be an epitome of all experience and wisdom, past incarnations as men, animal, birds, vegetable life, etc., etc., everything that exists, has and ever will exist.

MS: This is the Kia.

KIA = 20+10+1. A simple QBL correlation … that just so happens to be the “Key” to Liber AL. Holy Cow and the 23 Dragons! The synchronicity just keeps rolling in. Please note that my Short (Olde Tyme slang term for a “horseless carriage”) is a Kia, a trusty steed indeed.

The Quote cited above just so happens to be a fairly reasonable description of the well-known Akashic Records, which also fits the description of the 7th neurocircuit – which is accessible from Sphere 4, called Chesed by the Hebrews.

ignant666
    Participant

“Kia” reminds me of the cognate military acronym “KIA” [“Killed In Action”]:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killed_in_action

Not a terribly useful contribution to the discussion, i realize.

“Faculty X” sounds like the direct cognition of all reality that is one of the notable effects of adequate doses of psychedelics consumed with appropriate set and setting. See also AL‘s “certainty not faith”.

dom
    Participant

There are correlations with the other Wilson/Dr Tim’s first circuit of the right lobe ie the neurosomatic circuit. I’m sure CW would not disagree that Faculty X parallel’s the opening of RAW’s circuit 5.

CW gives the example in his The Occult of how when we check out of our hotel on holiday say in a foreign land or whatever we feel good we ‘eat significance’, we are fascinated by new scenery. We are in an unusual situation/environment and we make that effort to take it all in.

CW was not into psychedelics by the way.

• This reply was modified 2 days, 11 hours ago by  dom.

Michael Staley
    Participant

@dom

CW was not into psychedelics by the way.

I think ignant666 made that remark to indicate one of several methods of experiencing “the direct cognition of all reality”. I agree there’s no indication I’m aware of that Colin Wilson took drugs. Although I used to take psychedelics many years ago, now I prefer magical and mystical experience – or “the direct cognition of all reality” – without taking drugs. That’s just a matter of personal preference; I learnt a lot from psychedelics such as LSD and psilocybin mushrooms.

dom
    Participant

CW took acid once and once only and no he was not a pothead. RAW appears to have been a heavy pot user. Faculty X isn’t really about popping pills or lighting up, anyone can do that. Faculty X is about Will.

Michael Staley
    Participant

@dom

Faculty X is about Will.

In what way is it “about Will”?

dom
    Participant

In what way is it “about Will”?

You don’t know?

• This reply was modified 1 day, 17 hours ago by  dom.

Michael Staley
    Participant

@dom

I thought ignant666’s remark “the direct cognition of all reality” was a pretty succinct definition. What prevents this direct cognition is our identification with what we consider our individual minds – little more than a robotic rag-bag of habit-patterns and social conditioning, It’s set out pretty clearly in The War Against Sleep, Colin Wilson’s study of Gurdjieff.

The experience of “other times and other places” occurs when we set aside what we consider to be “ourselves”.

dom
    Participant

Michael you asked why I say it is about Will.

Michael Staley
    Participant

@dom

Michael you asked why I say it is about Will.

Yes, I did.

dom
    Participant

Yes, I did.

Keep reading your CW books and you will get it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.