Home Forums Colin Wilson What is ‘Faculty X’ and how is it attained?

• This topic contains 33 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  pegasus 1 week ago.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Michael Staley
    Participant

@dom

Keep reading your CW books and you will get it.

Thank you for your idiotic and patronising remark. I’ve been reading books by Colin Wilson for many decades now. Faculty-X is wide-ranging and he continued to develop it throughout his work. We’re not talking about a scientific treatise here with a precise, cut-and-dried definition and a few how-to-get-there steps.

I’m not so much interested in precisely what Colin Wilson meant by it, but rather in its affinities with magical and mystical experience, and what use I can make of it. I have the same approach to the work of Grant, Spare, Crowley, etc etc etc.

I was under the impression that by creating this thread you wanted to discuss Faculty-X and related matters. My mistake: you’re just interested in point-scoring, smart-arse comments and the like. Fine by me; I have plenty of other things to be getting on with. Over and out, buddy.

ignant666
    Participant

While we all hope that your recent study of logic will cause/has caused you to abandon “Skeptical Thelema” (as you have hopefully noticed that it lives up to neither description), you really could stand to rein in your sometimes very smug, snide, and condescending tone, david.

It’s a bit of a pattern with your posts here- you ask a question, or raise a topic, get some cogent responses, and then sneer at them.

What, actually, is the point of this? Has it not occurred to you that it makes you look silly?

If you think it is so obvious that Wilson’s “Faculty X” “is about [AC’s concept of] Will”, why not dazzle us all by clearly explaining this in terms that make us doubt our own intelligence for not having noticed it before?

dom
    Participant

Michael it’s difficult not to look like an ass when I want you to genuinely figure it out for yourself. It’s like asking me what does Sartre have to do with nausea? I thought in your study of CW you would’ve come across his observation of human civilization generally making things habitual and easy for us compared to our ancestors’ existence. The robot the automaton ‘takes over’ when we learn something new but once we nail it then effort is no longer required hence the reason that being bored stiff is the general malaise of civilization.

Michael Staley
    Participant

@dom

I don’t disagree with you. That’s why I referred to Gurdjieff and to the robotic habit-patterns and social conditioning. I have “figured it out out for” myself, as you put it. Wilson knew that what he called Faculty-X was nothing unique to his work, but had corollaries in all sorts of fields, hence his omnivorous interests.

dom
    Participant

Ok anyway to be totally specific about it,did you hear about CW’s episode when driving in unexpected heavy snow? He knew that the road was riddled with ditches but didn’t know where, after he got through it he felt alert, faculty X. From then onnwhenevet he drove to the local supermarket he would apply the same focus on his environment and induce Faculty X thereby. It’s not just when driving but when walking also. Gurdjieff told Ouspensky to “sense” the houses he walked past. A similar thing.

CW said when some tribe believed that they were able to see by firing light beam out of their eyes that they were probably more in tune with this concept. Hopefully you see what i mean by will and effort applied to simple activity overcomes the robot in our left lobe and induces Faculty X.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  dom.

dom
    Participant

Sorry for the double- post but Shiva’s point about the historian Toynbee and his ‘time warp’ Faculty X experience as being parallel to Leary’s circuit 7 is a great point. It confirms what I said earlier about Faculty X as the opening of circuit 5 which of course can lead to the opening of other circuits. Michael then you are right for in that case Faculty X is less of a scientific description of what’s happening.

CW stated that there are basically two people in our brains or more. This correlates to the left brain and right brain. When the connection between these two lobes is cut they are oblivious to each other and behave like two separate people. The problem is that we think we are just the left lobe, we think wrongly that we will what we do. Somehow Gurdjieff knew this before science discovered it.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  dom.

Karlir_Johanarnt
    Participant

Isn’t Alchemy a science? (transferred to psychology by Jung) ;=)

As Staley commented earlier on in the thread: it was a central theme in Austin Osman Spare’s books, and used in what I identify as an user manual for how to reorganize the letters in the sacred alphabet: The Formula of Zos Vel Thanatos.

I’ve tried to connect the dots in my The Black Terra Project blog which can be visited:

The Magical Stele sequence Of Zos Vel Thanatos: Aeons; Equinoxes And Solstices (The User Manual)

dom
    Participant

@michaelstayley

I’ve been reading books by Colin Wilson for many decades now. Faculty-X is wide-ranging .

Is it? How do you mean?

and he continued to develop it throughout his work

What was an early incarnation of it and when and how did he add to it?

wellreadwellbred
    Participant

dom, Los’ emphasis is on the practical applications of Thelema, and Los’ emphasis is on the practical actions that Thelema requires.

dom, does “faculty-X” have practical applications?

dom, does “faculty-X” require practical actions?

dom
    Participant

dom, Los’ emphasis is on the practical applications of Thelema, and Los’ emphasis is on the practical actions that Thelema requires.

Wrwb, I’m not too concerned with Los’s views on Faculty X.

Faculty X, yes it is a practical matter.

wellreadwellbred
    Participant

dom: “Faculty X, yes it is a practical matter.”

dom, will you mention one way to use this Faculty X in a practical way?

dom
    Participant

dom, will you mention one way to use this Faculty X in a practical way?

I already did. maybe reread what I have said so far here.

By the way, on the subject of Los ie reductive materialist atheism, CW said that atheists are trying to run whilst trying to simultaneously break their own legs. I’ll try and dig out the part of the youtube-interview where he says it.

wellreadwellbred
    Participant

me: dom, will you mention one way to use this Faculty X in a practical way?”

dom: “I already did. maybe reread what I have said so far here.”

Is this you dom, earlier on page one in this thread mentioning one way to use this Faculty X in a practical way?:

“CW gives the example in his The Occult of how when we check out of our hotel on holiday say in a foreign land or whatever we feel good we ‘eat significance’, we are fascinated by new scenery. We are in an unusual situation/environment and we make that effort to take it all in.”

(Source: https://www.lashtal.com/forums/topic/what-is-faculty-x-and-how-is-it-attained/#post-110163)

dom
    Participant

Is this you dom, earlier on page one in this thread mentioning one way to use this Faculty X in a practical way?:

That was a description of what “eating significance” is which in a way is Faculty X for a lot of us however people who become holiday addicts thereby are barking up the wrong tree.

Michael Staley
    Participant

@wellreadwellbred

Can you explain why anyone interested in Faculty-X should be interested in the criteria that you think Los would use to assess the usefulness or otherwise of Faculty-X? Do you consider Los some sort of authority?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged-in to reply to this topic.