Notifications
Clear all

777 and Other Qabalistic Writings of Aleister Crowley  

RSS

Anonymous
08/09/2011 1:22 am  

777 and Other Qabalistic Writings of Aleister Crowley. I bought this book recently trying to get my head around majik but all its done is confuse me even more.
What I can't understand is what is the point of learning numbers for Hebrew words and letters that share the same numbers etc.
Is there anything to decipher from these hidden meanings..
I would be grateful for any feedback.
thanks 😛

Shiva
(@shiva)
Not a Rajah
08/09/2011 1:51 am  
"Silurian" wrote:
What I can't understand is what is the point of learning numbers for Hebrew words and letters that share the same numbers ...

This is because you have started with a doctoral level text when you will find all your answers explained in Magick Without Fears, er, Tears which is a book for beginners.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
08/09/2011 11:50 am  

Hi thanks Shiva! I see there is a copy on line you can read as its quite pricey to buy.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
08/09/2011 12:21 pm  

Hi thanks Shiva! I see there is a copy on line you can read as its quite pricey to buy.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
08/09/2011 1:34 pm  

This is one of the few books that should probably be read in book form rather than pdf or online.. you'll find it almost impossible to keep track of correspondences when looking at a computer monitor, rather than flipping pages in a book (which you can also mark with side notes).

ReplyQuote
Los
 Los
(@los)
08/09/2011 3:04 pm  
"Silurian" wrote:
I see there is a copy on line you can read as its quite pricey to buy.

You can acquire it used through a site like amazon for a reasonable price.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
08/09/2011 5:10 pm  
"Los" wrote:
"Silurian" wrote:
I see there is a copy on line you can read as its quite pricey to buy.

You can acquire it used through a site like amazon for a reasonable price.

Didn't he or she just say in the first post that he has bought a copy? 😕

But if it's for the information of other users, I understand. I have a PDF copy of it as well as two copies of the book, one from which the pages are already dropping off and which is not in very pristine condition otherwise either.

ReplyQuote
amadan-De
(@amadan-de)
08/09/2011 5:31 pm  

*cough*

Unless I am mistaken the pdf that Silurian refers to is of 'Magick without Tears' as suggested by Shiva in the second post in the thread as a suitable primer before wrestling with '777'. 'Magick w.o. Tears' is indeed "pricey" as Silurian suggests.

((Notice Everything, Awareness is All))

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
08/09/2011 5:39 pm  
"amadan-De" wrote:
*cough*

Unless I am mistaken the pdf that Silurian refers to is of 'Magick without Tears' as suggested by Shiva in the second post in the thread as a suitable primer before wrestling with '777'. 'Magick w.o. Tears' is indeed "pricey" as Silurian suggests.

((Notice Everything, Awareness is All))

Thanks, you're probably right. I was browsing through the thread too hastily. 🙂

Magick without Tears, I think you can find it online quite easily.

But with 777, I agree with other posters in that it's good to own it as a book.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
09/09/2011 1:11 am  

Here is the link
http://hermetic.com/crowley/magick-without-tears/mwt_01.html

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
09/09/2011 11:46 am  

Generally, people who read this thread will be looking for info on 777 (thread topic).. hence the discussion on 777, rather than MWT.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
09/09/2011 2:00 pm  
"Silurian" wrote:
What I can't understand is what is the point of learning numbers for Hebrew words and letters that share the same numbers etc.

The point is to learn to arrange correspondences and to use them in various ways (magical work, interpretation of visions, invocation, mnemonics and so on.)

Liber 777 is a catalogue of symbols arranged in suggested and/or assigned charts of correspondences. At the base lies the notion that 'infinite numbers' are clad in bodies of finite properties (symbols, i.e. specific correspondences). These garments of correspondence limit the infinite and expresses the intrinsic power of the number as an experiental symbol.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
10/09/2011 12:28 am  

Hi Taxidermist thanks for the replay, I still don't get it. I think if you could give me an example of something I could try out then maybe I would gain a better understanding of what your on about. I don't believe that a number or a group of numbers can express a meaning.

ReplyQuote
Markus
(@markus)
10/09/2011 12:52 am  

Silurian, do have a firm grasp of the Qabalah? If not check out Will Parfitt and Dion Fortune (for starters). Then read "An Interlude" in AC's "Book 4" which will give you a lovely description of what it's all about. It is not quite a matter of rote learning, but one of absorption. This becomes immediately apparent once the basics are mastered. Good luck!

Markus

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
10/09/2011 4:56 am  
"Silurian" wrote:
Hi Taxidermist thanks for the replay, I still don't get it. I think if you could give me an example of something I could try out then maybe I would gain a better understanding of what your on about. I don't believe that a number or a group of numbers can express a meaning.

An easy example is to perform an invocation. Just look up the entity you want to invoke and then start to look up its corresponding attributes, colours, geometrical patterns, qualities and so on. The idea is that all these correnspondences are somehow connected - and thus they tap into the same current of numerical potency.

Invoking the number 6 sans correnspondent symbols may prove fruitless as it present itself as just another abstract number - but what you do is to invoke the number 6 by interlocking onto the symbols that the number expresses itself through.

We are not really talking about 'numbers' here in the conventional sense of the term, but about the attempt to construct a Magical Alphabet: a catalogue of symbols tied to direct magical and mystical experience and revealed through the trappings of various correspondences.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
10/09/2011 8:14 am  

Perhaps this excerpt from Kenneth Grant's Outer Gateways Ch. 12 "Creative Gematria" will be of help to you:

"A percept, a concept, or a number, any object, in fact, has no real relationship with any other percept, concept, or number. Relationship obtains only in the consciousness of the perceiver, the consciousness which is the background upon which all objects appear as images on a screen. There can therefore be no association of ideas, no correspondences of any kind, between numbers or ideas which they represent, except in the consciousness of their subject, because no thing exists as an objective entity.
The implications of these considerations are not generally appreciated, although they are of tremendous importance. Numbers can mean to the qabalist precisely what he wishes them to mean within the framework of his magical universe. They have a relative but no absolute reality. Numbers may therefore be used as a magical means of invoking specific energies latent in the consciousness of the magician. In other words, numbers may be viewed as entities which are apparent objective identities, or personalities, for they are one with the projective power of the magician.
The power of numbers lies not in the numbers themselves but always and only in the magician. If his mind is well furnished with magical numbers (i.e. numbers meaningful to him) there is no limit, quantitatively speaking to the worlds he may construct from their energies (shaktis)."

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
10/09/2011 2:37 pm  

Hi thanks everyone for your patience and time, you've been a great help. I'm getting a to understander it a lot better now. I guess I'm going on big journey to decipher all this but it's very interesting.

ReplyQuote
Share: