Memorizing/Utilizing 777  

RSS

dejapoo
(@dejapoo)
30/03/2019 5:12 am  

Crowley mentions several times throughout his writings how important it is to memorize the correspondences in 777 and work them into your daily cognitive processes. I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences and thoughts on working with the correspondences and maybe some tips for committing them to memory... Flash cards or something? The task seems daunting (especially with the layout of the tables lol) so I'm trying to figure out some sort of method before I start digging in aimlessly.

I'm also curious about people's thoughts on 776 & 1/2 by Jim Eshelman and Steven Skinner's "The Magician's Tables" (and any other resources of the sort I might be unaware of), how they stack up against 777, if anyone uses them in tandem with 777 and how you iron out the discrepancies in practice etc... I have yet to get a copy and read 776 1/2 but as I understand it there's a section at the end that gets into practical application of the correspondences.

AbulDiz
(@abuldiz)
30/03/2019 6:18 pm  

I found this program to be very useful http://www.qabalah-trainer.com/

You can check it out with just a few lines of correspondences, it's well worth registering to get the whole lot but it's not exhaustive.

ReplyQuote
Tiger
(@tiger)
30/03/2019 9:26 pm  

"The task seems daunting "
yes it is daunting
As for me i’m not to good at memorization though i might get around to it .
I just read and hope that its all in there .
i figure the more ways you get it in the better
so another way to get it in might be Liber 536 if you haven't already read it .

Best

ReplyQuote
Shiva
(@shiva)
30/03/2019 9:36 pm  

It is neither necessary nor imperative that anyone memorize all of the 777 tables. AC put the primary Tables into Magick in Theory and Practice. Those will suffice to get your basic, metal grid aligned. You should start with the Table (list) that most appeals to you, because it will go in more easily ... and it will form the primary grid. If you want to link into the arcane arcanum, then the Tarot list is helpful ... probably mandatory if you're going to speak "Crowley." (Crowley is a form of English with many metaphysical words and concepts not used by common folk. Sometimes, it reverts to "bible-speak," that includes words like Ye, Thine, Wilt, Sayeth, etc. That's because AC had that dialect rammed into him as a child, and somehow it creeps in when spiritual matters are being discussed).

After you get the basic Tables properly arranged in your limbic mind (Hod division), you can then peruse 777 for new tables you need, or those you wish to explore. It is probably useless to try to memorize those Table in Arabic squiggle, and thse difficult hebrew demons.

I suspect that I memorized about 10% of the 777 Tables, and even now I'd need to run 777 up on my Borg m,achine to verify some things.

As for other folks' Tables, why bother. There is a bottom line admonition herein that precludes anything that someone else has done. AC said it himself: "Every Initiate must build his [her] own Qabalah."

There is nothing sacred or holy about 777 and the process of using the Tree as the foundation of storing data. You see, it is merely a tool for Ordering the Mind. It's a foundation, not a method of getting back home. But one will possibly never get back home if they have a disordered mind as a foundation. Many people order their minds with systems unrelated to 777.

In medical school, and to pass a licensing exam, I had to memorize the 20 properies, actions, temperature, taste, contraindications, indications, etc for 300 herbs. It was a daunting task. I hung all that data onto the Tree and its own set of herbal tables. It worked. It's very practical when applied that way.

As for those

ReplyQuote
christibrany
(@christibrany)
01/04/2019 9:15 pm  

It is surely very daunting. I am having to memorise a lot of the columns for my Work and I have no idea how long it will take. That said, I already have the ability to read and write some Hebrew when before I had no idea, and have a lot of 'concepts' and linkages sticking in my head which pop out in daily life, which actually seem to be a magick in and of itself. especially the first 15 or so tables....

Thank you Abuldiz for that link! It will be put to good use!

Chris

93s

ReplyQuote
pegasus
(@pegasus)
04/04/2019 3:33 pm  

Sometimes, it reverts to “bible-speak,” that includes words like Ye, Thine, Wilt, Sayeth, etc. That’s because AC had that dialect rammed into him as a child, and somehow it creeps in when spiritual matters are being discussed).

well almost.. from the inside here it is not how I normally speak but it is formal it is old

I too was raised in the church very Damien Omen like ..make sense now why every christian Preacher missionary dog style collared wanker would spend so much effort trying to convert me to be confirmed as christian

My refusal was blasphemous and mortifying to my family I bought my Queens Honours Grandmother Irate quiet suppressed rage out but it was hilarious from my view point to see people so outraged with self righteous indignation at this wild Faery child' who was wise and gentle but tougher than nails with the bare turned in feet that could usually be found up a tree with a good thought provoking book and a thirst to know all throughout time, laughing playing exploring rescuing beetles and cicadas, then jumping on a motorbikes and explored the trinity sentinel mountains I felt at peace on I was raised In Wollongong the place beside the sea of the five islands and trinit y sentinel mountains Keira the mother Kembla the father and Nebo the son my favourite.

so that voice/attitude/higher being It's not a "facade or false image, it is a part of me that I watch as it happens It has a note of respect and can be cold and clinical and then warm and encouraging.. *shrugs maybe its balance

ReplyQuote
pegasus
(@pegasus)
04/04/2019 3:42 pm  

There is nothing sacred or holy about 777 and the process of using the Tree as the foundation of storing data. You see, it is merely a tool for Ordering the Mind. It’s a foundation, not a method of getting back home. But one will possibly never get back home if they have a disordered mind as a foundation. Many people order their minds with systems unrelated to 77

I had the 777,still do and I did use it as a reference point when decoding the 33 degrees but thinking now it didn't have too much relevance to the work I was doing the answers were in me, book of lies book of law and book of thoth I love numbers and where the soon as I saw Alex's Charts of attributes in the book of thoth I looked straight at it and said ..no that's not right... and grabbed a pen and calculator and spent the next months decoding and revealing Alex's easter eggs...

ReplyQuote
Shiva
(@shiva)
04/04/2019 5:49 pm  

Peg: I had the 777,still do and I did use it as a reference point when decoding the 33 degrees but thinking now it didn’t have too much relevance to the work I was doing ...

Although one can fit the entire scope of consciousness into other "systems" (for example, the 7-planes/49-sub-planes Chart, or even The Periodic Table of the Elements, 777/QBL allows for speculative assignment of the "higher" levels of non-self awareness.

It helped me down here at Malkuth by donating a framework upon which I organized and memorized the fundamental herbs o Oriental Medicine. It's supposed to help as a Guidebook when navigating the astral plane, which sometimes is true, but sometimes its's the feeling one senses that is more important in determining what dreams and visions really mean.

The Tree serves as a common language among those who study it, allowing for appreciation of other (all?) systems.

The "higher" states," like Samadhi ("With the Adi, or primordial consciousness), wu-wei (doing without effort), Atmadarshana (vision of the Universal Self), Shivatmadarshana (seeing the destruction of the Universal Self), etc, can be attributed to the upper branches of the Tree, the mental associations
won't help (except maybe as an afterthought of the experience), because the Mnd, the Tree, and the Tables are non-functional above the Abyss.

ReplyQuote
dejapoo
(@dejapoo)
08/04/2019 4:38 pm  

Thank you for all the replies! Extremely helpful... and Shiva, it's long been a joy to read your contributions.

ReplyQuote
dejapoo
(@dejapoo)
18/05/2019 1:55 pm  

I found this program to be very useful http://www.qabalah-trainer.com/

You can check it out with just a few lines of correspondences, it's well worth registering to get the whole lot but it's not exhaustive.

I've been trying to contact the creator so that I can purchase and register the product, but I'm not getting any response... Did you register your copy many years ago per chance? I'm afraid there may no longer be any way to unlock full access to this and that's a shame because it's extremely useful.

ReplyQuote
Shiva
(@shiva)
18/05/2019 4:36 pm  

As a kid, I had a powerful memory (compared to my cohorts). At 42, when I entered medical school, wondering if my feeble mind was up to the task), I entered a short alpha-training eminar. They made one point clear:

"Everyone is exposed to data (as kids or as med students), a LOT of it, that one is supposed to memorize ... But nobody ever teaches anyone HOW to memorize."

It's a matter of being in an alpha brainwave range (focused and relaxed) while memorizing. That way the data goes into long term memory. Rapid cramming for an exam usually results in short term memory, which disappears after the exam.

Any tools to assist the long term procedure are good. Personally I made up flash cards for the herbal data. The acu points and channels got the same treatment. (I never resorted to such crutches when I was younger.

This magical Borg program ... can't you make up your own version?

ReplyQuote
dom
 dom
(@dom)
18/05/2019 6:50 pm  

I think if someone memorises 100s of these correspondences then they are officially a nut. Nothing wrong with learning which ATU go where and their appropriate mythical aspects but sitting there painting different TOL's with obscure paint-colours?!

What's more important is what someone has to face as he goes from grade to grade up his TOL and across and up each path.

ReplyQuote
Shiva
(@shiva)
18/05/2019 8:38 pm  

d: I think if someone memorises 100s of these correspondences then they are officially a nut.

Well, you see, some of these "nuts" are aspirants in an Order that REQUIRES them to nuttily memorize the whole deal, and then they have to pass a test in order to pass to 2=9 (yeah, not 3=8, but 2=9). These folks have no choice in the matter, if they want to progress.

Then, of course, there's the solo aspirant who takes AC at his word, and they set out to memorize the complete package simply because the Master said, "You must do this!" He also said, "Every initiate must compile their own Qabalah." So that gets a bit complex: To create or to memorize? That is the question.

I am in agreement with your concept of learing a few key columns.

If one simply refers to the Tables, over and over again, they will find the data gets stored in some memory bank cells.

When I set out to create & publish my own Tables, they were few and simple ... but I chose the more important (to me) categories and kept it really basic ... as a teaching tool, or starting point for students.

ReplyQuote
christibrany
(@christibrany)
19/05/2019 4:35 am  

I am a 'nut' still trying to memorise this wonderful set of data.

It is worth it.

That is all.

Don't despair,

Love will come in the air,

You will feel it.

It loves you, if you love it.

ReplyQuote
Tiger
(@tiger)
19/05/2019 5:43 am  

but
sitting there painting
different TOL’s
with obscure paint-colours
?! “

Radix of red.
Speak
tone changes
reflected in shades of light;
how different in rain and night.

And in sphere of operation.
Rushing Force
the might of slaughter
the gleam of the sword;
flaming Pachad !

Pan demon ium
in the bathroom

daughter of the flaming sword
lion and serpent
in the place of dwelling .
Red

ReplyQuote
dom
 dom
(@dom)
19/05/2019 11:08 am  

@christibrany

so you know every flower that relates to all 32 paths? How is that useful?

ReplyQuote
Shiva
(@shiva)
19/05/2019 5:30 pm  

In terms of UTILIZING 777, after one crams the data into the memory cells, then EVERYTHING one sees is to be immediately recognized by a certain brain cell (which coordinates with all data at that level [key scale] in all the Tables. Thus, one really needs to build Tables for every possible thing, color, etc. Good luck.

The advantage to all this mental arrangement and reorientation is NOT because there's something holy, sacred or profound in the system. The advantage is that it orders the mind.

QBL is not the only system for ordering the mind, but it suits the purpose of the mystic and the magician because it covers the entire spectrum of human consciousness, and it includes things like gods, instruments, demons, and that sort of thing ... which will certainly cause trouble with the family, friends, and neighbors if recited out loud.

ReplyQuote
Jamie J Barter
(@jamiejbarter)
19/05/2019 7:34 pm  

@dom :

I think if someone memorises 100s of these correspondences then they are officially a nut. Nothing wrong with learning which ATU go where and their appropriate mythical aspects but sitting there painting different TOL’s with obscure paint-colours?!
What’s more important is what someone has to face as he goes from grade to grade up his TOL and across and up each path.

Even there the danger is confusing the map with the territory, as RAW was fond of pointing out. It was Mathers and his wife Moina who originally came up with the Four Key Scales of Colour for the Golden Dawn, and which then passed from there into 777. They are their personal subjective choices and were not handed down to them by the nuteru, and the only real importance they may have (as could be argued with much else not only in the G.D. but elsewhere) is that they contain "morphic resonance" (see Rupert Sheldrake for more on this key phenomenon). As was mentioned earlier, Crowley indeed recommended that everybody should ideally (and at a certain level become literally obliged to) construct (=create) their own Cabbala and by extension light (=paint by numbers) their own Tree. And in addition it should be borne in mind that the perception (and transmission onwards) of colour can vary very significantly from one person to another, as even mundane (=secular) colour blindness tests prove.

It could be argued that it is of much more value & significance to memorise the first Chapter of The Book of the Law instead, an undertaking which is also required in the A.'. A.'. syllabus. (I did this myself - and the second, not the 3rd - thirty plus odd years ago and could recite them by heart when I first did so, though I don't know how many errors I would make now. Quite a few, without additional reinforcement I would suspect). However such memorisation (in addition to that of columns, tables, poetry even *shocked face*) does no harm, and probably some good at least in respect of exercising one's mental 'muscles' and preventing them from atrophying, which in terms of the Ruach I've just noticed seems to be pretty much what Shiva was saying above with

The advantage to all this mental arrangement and reorientation is NOT because there’s something holy, sacred or profound in the system. The advantage is that it orders the mind.

Norma N Joy Conquest

ReplyQuote
ignant666
(@ignant666)
19/05/2019 8:34 pm  

I agree with all above (even, gulp, david).

Much of 777 consists of what are more or less intellectual games akin to crossword solving on AC's part, finding correlations among wildly disparate sorts of things. Memorizing lists of djinn may be of value to some in need of rigor, but it seems a waste of time.

In addition to the benefits Shiva mentions in interpreting phenomenona, there is the training of the mind at conscious and other levels so that we can manipulate said mind by employing color etc in ritual contexts.

Apologies for eccentric spacing etc as I struggle with frustrating stupid tablet while traveling.

ReplyQuote
dom
 dom
(@dom)
20/05/2019 12:07 am  

@jamiebarter

Quite a few, without additional reinforcement I would suspect). However such memorisation (in addition to that of columns, tables, poetry even *shocked face*) does no harm, and probably some good at least in respect of exercising one’s mental ‘muscles’ and preventing them from atrophying, which in terms of the Ruach I’ve just noticed seems to be pretty much what Shiva was saying above with

Yeah I agree that working on memorizing an AL chapter and one of AC's sacred poems certainly does no harm. Add to that Liber Trigrammaton and as I said earlier the myths and planetary/elemental attributes of any of the 32 paths and their ATU as seen in Regardie's Garden of Pomegranates. Obviously AC wanted students to learn to "see through" Malkuth and view it as the final gate of many (accessible) inner forces.

ReplyQuote
Tiger
(@tiger)
20/05/2019 5:02 am  

“ it is of vital importance to enquire into the nature of the Hebrew Sammael, the genius of the Yetziratic World, the world of Angels, that is of Intelligences. This task is a highly complex one, for it is wrapped up in the principle of necessity, because outside the No-Thing, Deity is not a free agent.

As we have seen in the last chapter, Adam Qadmon - that is Deity in the form of the Archetypal Man, the Great Seal, and consequently the Great Mystery - by a process of inversion, that is of fall or reflection, be-comes Metatron in the Briatic World; and then Metatron by a similar process becomes Sammael in the Yetziratic World. In this world Sammael's clouds of angels are the horses of Tetragrammaton which bring YHVH into Egypt, that is into the Assiatic World, for Egypt typifies darkness. His Chariot is the Merkabah (Throne of Magic);

Tetragrammaton is the Charioteer; and as his two horses (two categories of Angels) typify good and evil, (the white and the black or the white and the red) Tetragrammaton himself represents the fall of Yetziratic Harmony. In fact, the symbolism here describes the descent of the Tree of Life into Assiah, where it is reversed and changed from Harmony into Discord - that is into Activity.

Why should this descent take place? The answer is “of necessity”. Tetragrammaton must descend, because only by descending can he complete the cycle of emanations and so ultimately (through a reversed process of emanation) reinstate the No-Thingness of the Ayin.

As we have shown, the first fall is from the Ain Soph to Adam Qadmon, the second from Adam Qadmon to Metatron, the third from Metatron to Sammael, and the fourth from the angelic Sammael to his demoniacal counterpart; for we are told that “Life in the present dispensation is cut short through the influence of the evil serpent, whose dominion is symbolized by the darkened moon”. 11 The mention of the “Evil Serpent” presupposes the existence of a “Good Serpent” - the Serpent of Yetzirah. “
THE SECRET WISDOM OF THE QABALAH A Study in Jewish Mystical ThoughtBy J. F. C. FULLER
RIDER&CO. Paternoster House, Paternoster Row London. E.C.4 🙂 pg87,88

and on pg93
“To God the reflection of Himself is evil, but to man this reflection is good, so long as he does not attempt to emulate God by reflecting his own personal Shekinah (Shin,w), or soul, on the chaos of human ignorance, that is on the unbalanced minds of those who surround him.

In order to do so righteously, this chaos must first be stilled so that it may become a luminous mirror capable of reflecting the glory of the Shekinah in all its perfection.

In the past, the diabolical error made even by some of the greatest masters and the most illumined adepts was that, when once they had reduced their consciousness to zero, and on the mirror thus created had received the reflection of the Shekinah, they attempted to reflect this reflection on the unpurified minds of their followers. The result was not illuminism but madness, not for them only, but for those intoxicated by them”

ke(𐌖𐌍𐌉 𐌀𐌔𐌕𐌛𐌄)
baffling figuring

oh at least there's the submit button .
hope i get that right

ReplyQuote
Tiger
(@tiger)
20/05/2019 7:09 am  

"The city of the gods [vulva] is hard to conquer;
its sheath is of gold, its environment is happiness, it has a halo of light around it.
Such indeed is the sanctity of the female organ

Keep young; get young
sweet-scented ladies

perfect oggle
form and free of disease.

its real value is befogged by its glamour;
its secretions have the value of gold
both in commerce and in medicine; it confers happiness in every way;
but the way in which it confers happiness
to the Shakta is not through deeds of darkness
but by the Light of Initiation.
He who knows this greatness; this city that is surrounded by nectar; to him
Brahma the great mind and Brahma the lady chosen for the worship
will confer longevity, progeny ennobling thought- Star
Such indeed is the greatness of the sexual organs of the female-and of Kundalini! (Aruna Upanishad). To the Tamils the ......................16 is a fluid derived from woman,

The function of semen is to help build up the body-soul. The bindu [seed] that descends into the testicles is taken up by the Kundalini to strengthen the inner bodies ... It would appear that we have in the worship of Shakti, which actually is the exercise of Kundalini, the secret of rejuvenation; for the teaching is that, as a result of the life processes there is a constant generation of ash, waste, or carbonic acid, and this waste is governed by the Kundalini from somewhere about the region of the coccygeal [prostate] gland, the excretory region, the feet of Shakti. These emanations from the excretory region appear to have power to create worlds ... “

Aleister Crowley and the Hidden God by Kenneth Grant pg176
perhaps read and edited circa at the place of juncture

ReplyQuote
christibrany
(@christibrany)
20/05/2019 4:05 pm  

@Dom, no I sure don't. I am only memorizing the more 'useful' ones as directed. I find in my daily life that what little I do have stored, is helping bring up un/subconscious connections between what I am viewing and other themes/concepts in my mind. In this way I am fortifying and 'being' the fact that all of this Maya is illusory and created by my own mind.

ReplyQuote
XON
 XON
(@mal)
The Outsider
23/09/2019 5:53 pm  

Crowley mentions several times throughout his writings how important it is to memorize the correspondences in 777 and work them into your daily cognitive processes. I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences and thoughts on working with the correspondences and maybe some tips for committing them to memory… Flash cards or something?

Going from the column recommendations in Liber O the only flash cards possibly needed are the tattwas. No need to be purist though and physically create them. Using a device like a tablet/phone will work just as well for the clairvoyant exercise of gleaning mental impressions about the symbols.
It's a good basis to begin with in being able to sort impressions gleaned from the inner senses and leads to understanding the nature and more effective use of operations like the LBRP and in furthering development one's own 777 tables.

My will is fate.

ReplyQuote
christibrany
(@christibrany)
05/11/2019 5:59 pm  

I am not affiliated, acquainted or otherwise in relation with this person but I randomly found this product today and it looks really good actually (for the main/useful parts of memorizing 777) His own set of flash cards with a lot of nice art and info on each card.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/777/

I think I will buy them because writing the columns over and over is not quite cutting it after over a year.

ReplyQuote
Shiva
(@shiva)
06/11/2019 1:08 am  

cs: I think I will buy them because writing the columns over and over is not quite cutting it after over a year.

Proper memorization into "long-term memory" is facilitated by memorizing data in ONE format (in this case, columns), then testing that memory with ANOTHER format (in this case, randomly cutting through the columns with flashers). Any conceivable THIRD format would set the memory banks up even tighter.

ReplyQuote
XON
 XON
(@mal)
The Outsider
06/11/2019 1:57 am  

Crowley indeed recommended that everybody should ideally (and at a certain level become literally obliged to) construct (=create) their own Cabbala and by extension light (=paint by numbers) their own Tree

An ongoing process at this point for me. The above is one of my latest drafts. Colour only.
Derivative, yes. Yet, has unique qualities. Overlap is beneficial for conveyance of mystery in a similar language.
Creating one's Cabbala appears to me important for establishing a key at 7th for 8th degree Work. The certain level obliged in my case, perhaps.

My will is fate.

ReplyQuote
christibrany
(@christibrany)
06/11/2019 2:50 pm  

@Shiva good advice...
1. Copying down columns (in my notebook) sloppy He Brew stew.
2. flashcards (I see you have to print those above! No fair).
3. I am thinking of photo copying blank columns with a kind of grid format and filling them in, in test.

One idea I had was tape recording myself reading them and putting it playing under my pillow

Memorising my chapters of Holy Books, lovely poetry, was easy as it was 'linear' and beautiful but raw data is more for the Borgs.

Ingmar Borgman

ReplyQuote
Shiva
(@shiva)
06/11/2019 4:54 pm  

cs: 3. I am thinking of photo copying blank columns with a kind of grid format and filling them in, in test.

That's a good 3rd format. Another (4th) way would be to march one's memory through the rows (as opposed to the columns).

cs: One idea I had was tape recording myself reading them and putting it playing under my pillow

Aha! A 5th approach. After one has designed seven different approaches, that should be sufficient to pass any test that any aged He Brew Qab Alist can throw at one.

cs: Memorising my chapters of Holy Books, lovely poetry, was easy as it was ‘linear’ and beautiful but raw data is more for the Borgs.

I am that Borg. I can allocate data to memory banks easier than flowing prose. You (anyone) see? Everyone's a Star, but each Star has a slightly (or greaterly) different color/frequency. That's why every star must build its own QBL. But first, one is supposed to memorize AC's columns (actually first listed by Allan Bennett). Then one must come to practical terms with "Tzaddi is not the Star, stupid." After that, one can start with the "I don't agree with this attribution" heresy. This may lead to bickering and insults online, so some attributes must be kept silent and secret ... out of a need to avoid mind-rocking conflicts.

ReplyQuote
Share: