Liber Samekh, fully titled Theurgia Goetia Summa, (Congressus Cum Daemone), Sub Figura DCCC, is a ritual written by Aleister Crowley which he used for the purpose of attaining the "Knowledge and Conversation" of his Holy Guardian Angel. Within the A.'.A.'. (specifically for the Grade of Adeptus Minor) it is a Class D document (signifying "official rituals and instruction").
- 1 The ritual
- 1.1 POINT I
- 1.1.1 Section A. The Oath
- 1.1.2 Section Aa
- 1.1.3 Section B. Air
- 1.1.4 Section C. Fire
- 1.1.5 Section D. Water
- 1.1.6 Section E. Earth
- 1.1.7 Section F. Spirit
- 1.1.8 Section Ff.
- 1.1.9 Section G. Spirit
- 1.1.10 Section Gg. The Attainment
- 1.1.11 Section H. The "Charge to the Spirit"
- 1.1.12 Section J. The Proclamation of the Beast 666
- 1.2 Point II
- 1.1 POINT I
- 2 See also
- 3 External links
- 4 References
- 5 Document Source
From Magick, Book 4:
Evangelii Textus Redactus ("Restored text of the Gospel")
Magically restored, with the significance of the BARBAROUS NAMES Etymologically or Qabalistically determined and paraphrased in English.
Section A. The Oath
Thee I invoke, the Bornless One.
Thee, that didst create the Earth and the Heavens.
Thee, that didst create the Night and the Day.
Thee, that didst create the darkness and the Light.
Thou art ASAR UN-NEFER ("Myself made Perfect"):
Whom no man hath seen at any time.
Thou art IA-BESZ ("the Truth in Matter").
Thou art IA-APOPHRASZ ("the Truth in Motion").
Thou hast distinguished between the Just and the Unjust.
Thou didst make the Female and the Male.
Thou didst produce the Seeds and the Fruit.
Thou didst form Men to love one another, and to hate one another.
I am ANKH-F-N-KHONSU hy Prophet, unto Whom Thou didst commit Thy Mysteries, the Ceremonies of KHEM.
Thou didst produce the moist and the dry, and that which nourisheth all created Life.
Hear Thou Me, for I am the Angel of PTAH-APO-PHRASZ-RA (vide the Rubric): this is Thy True Name, handed down to the Prophets of KHEM.
Section B. Air
AR ("O breathing, flowing Sun!")
ThIAF ("O Sun IAF! O Lion-Serpent Sun, The Beast that whirlest forth, a thunder- bolt, begetter of Life!")
RhEIBET ("Thou that flowest! Thou that goest!")
A-ThELE-BER-SET ("Thou Satan-Sun Hadith that goest without Will!")
A ("Thou Air! Breath! Spirit! Thou without bound or bond!")
BELAThA ("Thou Essence, Air Swift-streaming, Elasticity!")
ABEU ("Thou Wanderer, Father of All!")
EBEU ("Thou Wanderer, Spirit of All!")
PhI-ThETA-SOE ("Thou Shining Force of Breath! Thou Lion-Serpent Sun! Thou Saviour, save!")
IB ("Thou Ibis, secret solitary Bird, inviolate Wisdom, whose Word in Truth, creating the World by its Magick!")
ThIAF* ("O Sun IAF! O Lion-Serpent Sun, The Beas that whirlest forth, a thunder- bolt, begetter of Life!")
- [* The letter F is used to represent the Hebrew Vau and the Greek Digamma; its sound lies between those of the English long o and long oo, as in Rope and Tooth.]
- (The conception is of Air, glowing, inhabited by a Solar-Phallic Bird, "the Holy Ghost", of a Mercurial Nature.)
Hear me, and make all Spirits subject unto Me; so that every Spirit of the Firmament and of the Ether: upon the Earth and under the Earth, on dry land and in the water; of Whirling Air, and of rushing Fire, and every Spell and Scourge of God may be obedient unto Me.
Section C. Fire
I invoke Thee, the Terrible and Invisible God: Who dwellest in the Void Place of the Spirit:
AR-O-GO-GO-RU-ABRAO ("Thou spiritual Sun! Satan, Thou Eye, Thou Lust! Cry aloud! Cry aloud! Whirl the Wheel, O my Father, O Satan, O Sun!")
SOTOU ("Thou, the Saviour!")
MUDORIO ("Silence! Give me Thy Secret!")
PhALARThAO ("Give me suck, Thou Phallus, Thou Sun!")
OOO ("Satan, thou Eye, thou Lust!" Satan, thou Eye, thou Lust! Satan, thou Eye, thou Lust!)
AEPE ("Thou self-caused, self-determined, exalted, Most High!")
The Bornless One. (Vide supra).
- (The conception is of Fire, glowing, inhabited by a Solar-Phallic Lion of a Uranian nature.)
Hear Me, and make all Spirits subject unto Me: so that every Spirit of the Firmament and of the Ether: upon the Earth and under the Earth: on dry Land and in the Water: of Whirling Air, and of rushing Fire, and every Spell and Scourge of God may be obedient unto Me.
Section D. Water
RU-ABRA-IAF* ("Thou the Wheel, thou the Womb, that containeth the Father IAF!")
MRIODOM ("Thou the Sea, the Abode!")
BABALON-BAL-BIN-ABAFT ("Babalon! Thou Woman of Whoredom. Thou, Gate of the Great God ON! Thou Lady of the Understanding of the Ways!")
ASAL-ON-AI ("Hail Thou, the unstirred! Hail, sister and bride of ON, of the God that is all and is none, by the Power of Eleven!")
APhEN-IAF ("Thou Treasure of IAO!")
I ("Thou Virgin twin-sexed! Thou Secret Seed! Thou inviolate Wisdom!")
PhOTETh ("Abode of the Light ...")
ABRASAX ("... of the Father, the Sun, of Hadith, of the spell of the Aeon of Horus!")
AEOOU ("Our Lady of the Western Gate of Heaven!")
ISChURE ("Mighty art Thou!")
Mighty and Bornless One! (Vide Supra)
- (The conception is of Water, glowing, inhabited by a Solar-Phallic Dragon-Serpent, of a Neptunian nature.)
Hear Me: and make all Spirits subject unto Me: so that every Spirit of the Firmament and of the Ether: upon the Earth and under the Earth: on dry Land and in the Water: of Whirling Air, and of rushing Fire: and every Spell and Scourge of God may be obedient unto Me.
- [* See, for the formula of IAF, or rather FIAOF, Book 4 Part III, Chapter V. The form FIAOF will be found preferable in practice.]
Section E. Earth
I invoke Thee:
MA ("O Mother! O Truth!")
BARRAIO ("Thou Mass!"*)
IOEL ("Hail, Thou that art!")
KOThA ("Thou hollow one!")
AThOR-e-BAL-O ("Thou Goddess of Beauty and Love, whom Satan, beholding, desireth!")
ABRAFT ("The Fathers, male-female, desire Thee!")
- (The conception of of Earth, glowing, inhabited by a Solar-Phallic Hippopotamus** of a Venereal nature.)
Hear Me: and make all Spirits subject unto Me: so that every Spirit of the Firmament, and of the Ether: upon The Earth and under the Earth: on dry land and in the Water: of Whirling Air, and of rushing Fire: and every Spell and Scourge of God may be obedient unto Me.
- [* "Mass", in the sense of the word which is used by physicists. The impossibility of defining it will not deter the intrepid initiate (in view of the fact that the fundamental conception is beyond the normal categories of reason.]
- [** Sacred to AHAThOOR. The idea is that of the Female conceived as invulnerable, reposeful, of enormous swallowing capacity etc.]
Section F. Spirit
AFT ("Male-Female Spirits!")
ABAFT ("Male-Female Sires!")
BAS-AUMGN ("Ye that are Gods, going forth, uttering AUMGN. The Word that goeth from (A) Free Breath. (U) through Willed Breath. (M) and stopped Breath. (GN) to Continuous Breath. thus symbolizing the whole course of spiritual life. A is the formless Hero; U is the six-fold solar sound of physical life, the triangle of Soul being entwined with that of Body; M is the silence of "death"; GN is the nasal sound of generation & knowledge.)
ISAK ("Identical Point!")
SA-BA-FT ("Nuith! Hadith! Ra-Hoor-Khuit! Hail, Great Wild Beast! Hail, IAO!")
1) This is the Lord of the Gods:
2) This is the Lord of the Universe:
3) This is He whom the Winds fear.
4) This is He, Who having made Voice by His commandment is Lord of all Things; King, Ruler and Helper.
Hear Me, and make all Spirits subject unto Me: so that every Spirit of the Firmament and of the Ether: upon the Earth and under the Earth: on dry Land and in the Water: of Whirling Air, and of rushing Fire: and every Spell and Scourge of God may be obedient unto Me.
Section G. Spirit
IEOU ("Indwelling Sun of Myself")
PUR ("Thou Fire! Thou Sixfold Star initiator compassed about with Force and Fire!")
IOU ("Indwelling Soul of Myself")
PUR (Vide Supra)
IAFTh ("Sun-lion Serpent, hail! All Hail, thou Great Wild Beast, thou I A O!")
IAEO ("Breaths of my soul, breaths of mine Angel.")
IOOU ("Lust of my soul, lust of mine Angel!")
ABRASAX (Vide Supra)
SABRIAM ("Ho for the Sangraal! Ho for the Cup of Babalon! Ho for mine Angel pouring Himself forth within my Soul!")
OO ("The Eye! Satan, my Lord! The Lust of the goat!")
FF ("Mine Angel! Mine initiator! Thou one with me - the Sixfold Star!")
AD-ON-A-I* ("My Lord! My secret self beyond self, Hadith, All Father! Hail, ON, thou Sun, thou Life of Man, thou Fivefold Sword of Flame! Thou Goat exalted upon Earth in Lust, thou Snake extended upon Earth in Life! Spirit most holy! Seed most Wise! Innocent Babe. Inviolate Maid! Begetter of Being! Soul of all Souls! Word of all Words, Come forth, most hidden Light!")
EDE ("Devour thou me!")
EDU ("Thou dost devour Me!")
ANGELOS TON ThEON ("Thou Angel of the Gods!")
ANLALA ("Arise thou in Me, free flowing, Thou who art Naught, who art Naught, and utter thy Word!")
LAI ("I also am Naught! I Will Thee! I behold Thee! My nothingness!")
GAIA ("Leap up, thou Earth!" (This is also an agonising appeal to the Earth, the Mother; for at this point of the ceremony the Adept should be torn from his mortal attachments, and die to himself in the orgasm of his operation.**)
AEPE ("Thou Exalted One! It (i.e. the spritual 'semen', the Adept's secret ideas, drawn irresistibly from their 'Hell'*** by the love of his Angel) leaps up; it leaps forth!****)
DIATHARNA THORON ("Lo! the out-splashing of the seeds of Immortality")
- [* In Hebrew, ADNI, 65. The Gnostic Initiates transliterated it to imply their own secret formulae; we follow so excellent an example. ON is an Arcanum of Arcana; its significance is taught, gradually, in the O.T.O. Also AD is the paternal formula, Hadit; ON is its complement NUIT; the final Yod signifies "mine" etymologically and essentially the Mercurial (transmitted) hermaphroditic virginal seed - The Hermit of the Taro - The use of the name is therefore to invoke one's own inmost secrecy, considered as the result of the conjunction of Nuit and Hadit. If the second A is included, its import is to affirm the operation of the Holy Ghost and the formulation of the Babe in the Egg, which precedes the appearance of the Hermit.]
- [** A thorough comprehension of Psycho-analysis will contribute notably to the proper appreciation of this Ritual.]
- [*** It is said among men that the word Hell deriveth from the word "helan", to hele or conceal, in the tongue of the Anglo-Saxons. That is, it is the concealed place, which since all things are in thine own self, is the unconscious, Liber CXI (Aleph) chap. Delta-Zeta]
- [**** But compare the use of the same word in section C.]
Section Gg. The Attainment
1) I am He! the Bornless Spirit! having sight in the feet: Strong, and the Immortal Fire!
2) I am He! the Truth!
3) I am He! Who hate that evil should be wrought in the World!
4) I am He, that lighteneth and thundereth!
5) I am He, from whom is the Shower of the Life of Earth!
6) I am He, whose mouth ever flameth!
7) I am He, the Begetter and Manifester unto the Light!
8) I am He, The Grace of the Worlds!
9) "The Heart Girt with a Serpent" is my name!
Section H. The "Charge to the Spirit"
Come thou forth, and follow me: and make all Spirits subject unto Me so that every Spirit of the Firmament, and of the Ether, upon the Earth and under the Earth: on dry Land, or in the Water: of Whirling Air or of rushing Fire, and every Spell and scourge of God, may be obedient unto me!
Section J. The Proclamation of the Beast 666
IAF:SABAF (See explanation in Point II)
Such are the Words!
Ars Congressus Cum Daemone
[For full text of this section, which goes into great theoretical detail, see the full Liber Samekh text]
- Magick in Theory & Practice
- Lesser Ritual of the Pentagram
- Greater Ritual of the Pentagram
- Lesser Ritual of the Hexagram
- Greater Ritual of the Hexagram
- Liber XV, The Gnostic Mass
- The Star Ruby
- The Star Sapphire
- Liber V vel Reguli
- Liber Resh
- Mass of the Phoenix
- The Great Invocation
- Liber Israfel
- Liber Samekh on Hermetic.com
- Crowley, Aleister. (1997). Magick: Book 4. 2nd ed. York Beach, Me. : S. Weiser.
- This page was originally sourced from Thelemapedia. Retrieved May 2009.